i30 Owners Club

ESP Off light turns of at speeds of 80 km/h, steering becomes heavy

Offline 16vBlueDrive

• 2nd Gear

• no Norway
      Vestland
Hello, this is my first post.
We daily drive a 1.6l 2010 Hyundai i30, and during the years we've had it, there have been multiple issues with it.

In this topic, I'd like to address an issue with the ESP system.

When we go on the highway and reach speeds around 80 km/h, the ESP turns off (ESP Off light turns on), the car notches a bit, and the steering becomes heavy. We cannot press the ESP Off button to the left of the steering wheel to turn it on again, and the only way to turn it on again is by a bit complicated method of turning it off and on again.

We've tried multiple solutions like "recalibrating" the steering sensor, which doesn't work.

Does anyone here know any solutions? :)
  • First generation Hyundai i30

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Do you have mismatched or unevenly worn tyres in the car? Sometimes in higher speeds the wheels spin different times which may cause ESP issues.

Do you have only the "ESP off" light on? Have you had EPS light on? EPS is for the powersteering.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline 16vBlueDrive

• 2nd Gear

• no Norway
      Vestland
Hello, thank you for replying.

No, only the ESP OFF light turns on when we reach speeds of 80 kmh.

There is another problem with the car. The left wheel makes "thumping" sounds when we brake, and a professional has told us that something in the front suspension could be offset. This can wear down the tires.

Maybe the offset part is related to the ESP OFF light? The problem has been going on even after we just put on summer tires.

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
If bearing is done, it may cause misalingment for abs sensor. That could cause ESP issues. But this is just guessing. Better take the car to a mechanic.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline 16vBlueDrive

• 2nd Gear

• no Norway
      Vestland
I also just noticed that the ABS light turns on with the ESP OFF light, and turns off when we temporarily turn off the ESP OFF light.

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
You need to read the codes, or take it to a shop to do it.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline 16vBlueDrive

• 2nd Gear

• no Norway
      Vestland
Yes, we will have to get it checked, planning on buying a diagnosis brick.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
:link: ELM327 Bluetooth For Android OBD2 Scanner Adapter OBDII Diagnostic Tools Torque | eBay
I don't reckon the ELM would be up to the task Gonz, basic readers don't usually read higher level systems such as ESP - ABS - SAS  or airbag faults.

Some of the Foxwell or Autel units have the ability to read them and their premium units will even clear them.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
:link: ELM327 Bluetooth For Android OBD2 Scanner Adapter OBDII Diagnostic Tools Torque | eBay
I don't reckon the ELM would be up to the task Gonz, basic readers don't usually read higher level systems such as ESP - ABS - SAS  or airbag faults.

Some of the Foxwell or Autel units have the ability to read them and their premium units will even clear them.
True, it won't clear, just read, but the free TorquePro app that you use with it is a lot of fun with loads of information.
And yes, just how much it reveals is very much dependent on the car model and 'depth' of the subsystem of interest.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
free TorquePro app

I wish it was free in our Play store :(
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
free TorquePro app

I wish it was free in our Play store :(
:lol: You got me. I mean Torque Lite. :-[

Here's another one I've used. Not as pretty but functional enough and ad-free & free:
:link: Piston (OBD2 & ELM327) - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 16:20:02 by The Gonz »

Offline 16vBlueDrive

• 2nd Gear

• no Norway
      Vestland

That is pretty cheap, and I've had a bad experience with cheap stuff. I have been looking at the BlueDriver OBD2 scanner though, it seems to have good criticism. Thoughts on it?

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
It all comes down to how extensive their match to the car spec is. For that price, so long as your demand for updates and diversity is not at a professional pace, it may be all you need.

Offline 16vBlueDrive

• 2nd Gear

• no Norway
      Vestland
An update to this: Noticed that cruise control stops working when hitting high speeds as well. ABS definetely turns off as someone swerved to cut us off and the wheels locked up, steering is heavy but EPS light is not on, don't know about ESP but it most definetely doesn't work and it seems to be happening at lower speeds of around 50-60km/h now.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal