i30 Owners Club

New UK/EU Map Updates (D.I.Y) - i30-i30N

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
There is hidden content here which only members can see. Please Login or Register.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 18:33:42 by Shambles »
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
It wants 44Gb for my Ioniq :scared:

Meh, let's see what happens....

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I see that your choice of maps colours are Milk, Cafe, Latte and Mocha - the same as my KIA Niro.

It is a diabolic step backwards from the 2019 maps which I, and many KIA owners, have complained to KIA customer services about.

The colours are muddy and side roads indistinct.  You need a magnifying glass to read road names and the feint and narrow orange or red line at the side of the road to show traffic is hardly visible even at maximum magnification.

My 2019 maps were crisp, well defined with lots of contrast and road names much more visible. Also traffic was shown with wide orange or red chevrons on the affected roads which were easy to see at all magnifications. It was possible to zoom out and easily see traffic conditions over a wide area. It's now impossible.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I have an SD card prepared for the trial - I'll see how it goes this weekend. Hopefully, the OEM card can be used to regress should I need it to.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Thanks very useful - my local dealer couldnt be bothered to do an update at service (to be fair it does take a long time).
I have the version that uses maps from android auto - but this looks like it will update the firmware in the head unit.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I've got a downloaded update on USB for Mrs G's PD, but she's never making the time to make it happen. I don't think she cares.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Finally got around to updating my system. Went well, taking only 10 mins to complete.

Not tested the nav or maps yet, so I'm wary of the issues raised above by Alan.

No matter - I do like the way I can now preset the map zoom levels depending on the speed I'm travelling. Also, the visuals on the infotainment are superior. Nice little touch, too, adding a "Sounds Of Nature" option as a mode button setting :lol:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Finally got around to updating my system. Went well, taking only 10 mins to complete.

Not tested the nav or maps yet, so I'm wary of the issues raised above by Alan.

No matter - I do like the way I can now preset the map zoom levels depending on the speed I'm travelling. Also, the visuals on the infotainment are superior. Nice little touch, too, adding a "Sounds Of Nature" option as a mode button setting :lol:

Can't see the point of the Elephant fart though. Perhaps it's to combat road noise.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
^ :lol: good one.

Seems overall a much slicker system now. The street names are indeed slightly smaller than before, but not so much so that I can't read them.

I got bored with the Sounds Of Nature after about 1 minute, but having the GPS speed showing [as an option] is quite cool.

I used an old class 4 SD card for my upgrade but have now reused the original class 10 card, as the nav system took a few seconds too long to boot from cold.

Overall, very happy.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
May 2022 maps & software are now available.

:link: Notice | Official Hyundai Motors Navigation Update Website

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
You need a magnifying glass to read road names

There's an option in my update to increase the font size (normal/large) and it's a big improvement.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Would be interesting to see if others around the globe can update via this route?

:link: How to Update | Official Hyundai Motors Navigation Update Website

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I'm late catching  up with this thread.

KIA recently allowed owners to download the map update and satnav software by a similar method outlines by Shambles. I believe that KIA use the same "Here" maps as Hyundai but the software for certain models may differ.

My car is updated by downloading the new files to a high speed USB memory stick rather than an SD card so its fot ware will differ from the Ioniq because the maps are stored in the head unit. In saying this I assume the SD card is left in the car slot.

Unfortunately KIA have taken a step back with the software compared with 2 years ago.

1.   When I plan a holiday I load the sat nav with all the places we may visit – using deimal coordinates to define exact locations. Previously, this was an easy process using the Coordinates icon to open a window where it was easy to enter the decimal coordinate, give it a name and save it to the address book. However, the coordinates icon has now disappeared from the latest maps and it seems necessary to use the “Search” facility. This is not a user friendly process because the decimal point is not shown on the text window but is treated as a symbol. So to enter decimal coordinates you are now having to constantly alternate between the text, numeral and symbol screens. Then edit the address book to change the coordinates displayed into place names.
2.   The traffic display is also a step back – previously it was shown by distinct chevron ‘worms’ on the roads affected. It is now a thin and indistinct red or orange line that is at best difficult, at worst, impossible to see when driving. With the new maps, when a route is planned, traffic on the route is clear – the route is shown as green when clear, and red or orange where affected by traffic. However, if you meet traffic, previously you could zoom out and clearly see the traffic status of roads over a wide area and plan your own detour. Now the traffic off route is not visible.

I wonder if my situation applies to you guys with newish Hyundai cars that have been recently updates

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal