i30 Owners Club

How to properly flush and change engine coolant?

Offline Kenzato

• 1st Gear

• no Norway
      Norway
Hiya guys, newly purchased my car and joined here. Already fixed some issues like repainting spots and rust removal but ive run into something i dont know anything about.

As it stands now the car has some blue green ish coolant in it, owner had no clue about what specific type it is (g11 g12 and so on)

All i know is that it is some Monoethylene glycol based fluid.

From doing a tiny bit of reading it seems g12 is a better fit (correct me if in wrong) considering its a alu top silicate free and whatnot.

Therefore I'm wondering that the best way would be to flush the old fluid out and add new fluid.

Right now im thinking

Find drain plug, drain. Add water (distilled/demineralised). Drain, and repeat with water until its clear then add 50/50 coolant and water
Run it for a bit and later on test it with a antifreeze tester. Adding straight coolant if the ratio is out of wack because of remaining water.

Any steps i should add? Or recommendations for fluid, i live in norway so i dont have access to everything.

Going to do this in a warm garage so hoping that the water wont freeze as its around 0 celsius here.

Will i have to purchase a washer or something for the drain plug? Is it something i need a wrench for or flat head.

Thanks lads

• 2012 GD, Diesel 1.6lt crdi, manual, Cashmere brown

Offline Endeavor

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      BC
The  radiator drain plug is a plastic cap with two small wings at the bottom left corner  of the radiator ( looking from top). I would not fill with water. Drain abd fill with propper  coolant ( approx 5 ltrs will drain).
Do it again in a couple of months if you believe system is too contaminated or dirty.  ( by all means i am not an expert).
  • 2012 Elantra Touring FD 2.0 Auto

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
What you've described is how I changed my coolant. only a couple of litres will drain out through the radiator. Refill with demineralised water, run the engine until it's hot so the water circulates everywhere. Carefully release the pressure and drain off more coolant, then refill again. I think I heated the water on the stove to save time and not give thermal shock to engine. Repeat until what you drain out is pretty clear, I think I did it about 5 or 6 times. Finally, drain off the water and add the correct quantity of concentrated coolant to give the proper concentration for your climate.
  • i30 CRD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal