EGR valve

bloodnut · 135 · 60879

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Only time will tell.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline bloodnut

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
If you buy a Scanguage, you can clear the p0401 egr code, at anytime you wish. They are very handy, have one on 4x4, displays 4 engine functions at once, intake air, boost, water temp, liters per hundred & many more.
Cheers Bloodnut

Xamaxy
How accurate is instant mpg indicator on scangauge2?

I wanted it because of that instant fuel economy and EGT, but many say over the internet that instant fuel gauge is not correct, and sc2 doesnt have EGT. :confused:

Offline bloodnut

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
XAmaxy, thats correct, it does nt read EGT, as for trip meter, I dont use it, so I cant comment on the accuracy.
Cheers Bloodnut  :goodjob2:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
An interesting development, on another topic, it has been suggested the the EGR is inoperative when the air cond is running. That is IF you have the ELECTRIC EGR valve I presume.

Can anyone confirm that this is actually the case. If true, I fail to see the connection between EGR and air cond, apart from the fact that air cond loads the motor & possibly the EGR interferes with smooth running.

Air cond is generally used to cool the car. If cooling is required, the ambient air temp is usually uncomfortably high, which means the air temp to the engine is also quite warm.

If it is acceptable to run the engine with EGR cancelled for prolonged periods in high temp conditions, then the worries about engine stress due to high combustion temperatures must be irrelevant.

I have been an advocate for not disconnecting the EGR, so I'd appreciate confirmation that this is in fact the case.  :undecided:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
EGR, DPF, Turbo. The 3 main reasons I abandoned diesel.
Plus it only gave me 8 MPG more (I'll ignore the 194Bhp & 260ft lbs of torque for now!)
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
You are ignoring the BEST parts.  :)

We are about to get slugged a "Carbon Tax" which means "we pay $", and yet our country doesn't think DPF is required here. Strange how the govt is in the lead of other nations when it comes to collecting revenue, but lags at actually cleaning the air.  I question their parentage. :fum:

Xamaxy
An interesting development, on another topic, it has been suggested the the EGR is inoperative when the air cond is running. That is IF you have the ELECTRIC EGR valve I presume.

Well that would certainly explain a lot for me if its true!!!

When my car had ~2000km all the way to ~40000km i had constant sort of hesitancy or better explained "not normally smooth acceleration - bumpy accel" between 1900-2500rpms ONLY when gently accelerating. Under hard accel no problem at all.
When i installed CAI because of the greater turbo sucking sound we could hear s-s-s-s-s-s-s instead of normal ssssssssssss intake sound. Sort of intermitent intake. Everything was checked and nothing could be found to correct this.

Here comes the funny part, during summer, 30+ degrees C out, air con working, car accelerates flawlessly!! Again no reason for that could be found.
So when you said quoted part it was 1 +1  for me and judging from what i have experienced that could be easily true.

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
There is a little more about the i30's EGR valve @
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/197-i30-elantra-touring-forum/124862-diesel-automatic-gearbox-problem-2.html
Dunno if helpful or not.
It is alleged (at least as I read it) that turning on the aircon bypasses the EGR.  Cant comment - but turning on the aircon doesnt solve the auto kickdown issue I have from 4th to 3rd.
Ed

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Had the EGR on my old Grande Punto replaced after tring to clean it, it was INCREDIBLY clogged up! New one supplied & fitted cost me £156 during a full service at 54,000 miles when I alsoi had the cambelt / waterpump done, from memory the whole lot was around £375, Fiat dealers wanted almost £1,000 to do the job...  :eek:

Part ex'd the Fiat at 74,000 miles running as sweet as a nut, personally I'd never consider changing the operation of the EGR, I believe updates to MoT requirements may sniff them out possibly along with re-maps too. I guess the Jury is out on an MoT stations ability to find a re-map but we'll see....
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline AKAdventure

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newtown, NSW, Australia
Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in. The Hyundai "E"EGR is electric, so if you want to compare performance just put a switch  in line with the valve plunger switch. (pins 1 and 5 from memory on the EEGR connector)

If you disable the EEGR, you WILL see a mild improvement. I've proven it with many other cars over the years. Expect a kW or 2 but no more. A fresh charge of air has to be better than an oil soaked charge of air.

I also read a comment about longevity of the engine being affected by removal or blocking the EGR. Another twisting of the truth!! If your engine has good oil and regular oil changes then that is all you need to get good mileage. The EEGR has absolutely nothing to do with engine lubrication. It's just there to cut down on some aledgedly toxic gases that are produced. In reality, there is vastly more crap coming out your exhaust pipe than what is produced in a crankcase.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 21:44:55 by AKAdventure »

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in. The Hyundai "E"EGR is electric, so if you want to compare performance just put a a  in line with the valve plunger switch. (pins 1 and 5 from memory on the EEGR connector)

You left out the magic word, put a a in line  :question:   a What  :question:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I also miss the keyword.  :D

Do you mean that we should connect pin 1 and 5 while the connector is still mounted on the eegr..? ..so that the eegr will be continuously disabled..?

Or am I totally off track.. :confused:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Xamaxy
What about MAF sensor?

ECU still "see" that there is no difference in intake pressure and again concludes that EGR is faulty, right?

Disabling EGR is easy any way you choose it...fooling ECU is a bit harder.

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Interesting link that was posted by Talking Horse  ( http://www.hyundai-forums.com/197-i30-elantra-touring-forum/124862-diesel-automatic-gearbox-problem-2.html

This, for the first time actually identifies where this elusive EGR unit is !! :goodjob:

It mentions that the Kia changed from vacuum to electric in a recall ( The Kia Carens { same engine and gearbox} fault came up when they changed the existing vacuum EGR valve with electric on a nationwide upgrade.) in the UK.

I assume that we have the electric version....but will need to check, :eek: but either way, it seems that a squirt or 2 of the cleaner would be good preventative maintanence each year as suggested. Note the precautipns outlined in this thread.

Our auto is at 58,000 and we have (touch wood) not have any of the issues described in this thread, but it would be interesting to give Elle B a clean and see if there is any discernable improvement. :happydance:

The cross referenceing to the Kia forums, especially relating to parts that are shared between the i30 and Kia sure adds more "grist" to the mill !!! :cool:

Well done guys...

• 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline AKAdventure

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newtown, NSW, Australia
Sorry guys, the missing word is now in place.  "Switch" was the missing word.

The pins I was refering to are in the connector that fits into the EEGR. 1 & 5 provide power to the solenoid, the other 3 pins are to sense the pressure.

The Hyundai GSW data sheets give a pretty good description of the circuit.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 21:56:28 by AKAdventure »

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
The EGR valve is misnamed IMO, it should be called the Oxygen Depletion Valve, that is its function. So, the ODV is apparently cut out when using the air conditioner. This does not cause faults to be reported, so I wonder how this is achieved. Does anyone know  :question:

Offline CBF

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      OZ
Wife owns a i30 2.0l petrol, which we have experienced some problems with not associiated with the ERG.  I'll post that one on the appropriate thread.

Re EGR valve.  Just bought a 2011 triton 2.5 turbo diesel.  It was having problems when cold, with the motor surging.  For the 1st 1km or so it would kangaroo hop when trying to cruise just above idle.  The mechanic mentioned the ERG valve could be causing the problem, which it wasn't.  I did some research and they are nothing more than a emmission control system.  They pump sooty gases back into the motor.  The main problem is it cloggs up the motor and put's contaminents in the oil, shortening the life of the motor.
Blocking it off may increase power and also fuel economy, but that a secondary benefit.  Yes it is illegal, however I've heard that the increased fuel economy negatives the increased emissions.  I haven't done it to my ute, as I'm concerned about warranty issues.  I asked the Mitsubishi mechanic about the problems caused to diesels by the ERG.  He said off the record, and I quote, "If I owned a diesel and it wasn't against the law I would bloke it up.  They stuff the motor up."  He also mentioned it would void warranty if any other problems arose, and it could cause sensor lights to activate.  It sounds to me a bit like having a horse, and hooking a pipe up to it rear end, and pumping it back in it's mouth.  It will lower methane gases, keep the streets clean, but your horse will eventually die.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
CBF Welcome to the forum, hope this site helps you.  :goodjob2:

This EGR thread is now 3 pages long, there has been a lot of discussion about blocking the EGR, for me, the jury's still out.

I would say, in principle, I agree with EGR blocking, but to understand it's primary function introduces a problem. The primary function of the EGR valve is to lower combustion temperatures in the engine. This lowers Nitrous Oxide emissions in the atmosphere which is a good thing.

In the 70's when EGR first appeared, engines were not fuel injected, they had carburettors instead, it was common to run the engines on a special lean mixture which lowered hydrocarbon emissions, but created the nitrous oxide emission problem, which in turn was solved using the EGR valve solution. It was a well known fact that blocking the EGR valve on a petrol engine with a carby, would eventually lead to collapsed exhaust valves & or a hole in the piston due to high combustion temperatures. So in those days it was a definite no no.

Today's modern fuel injected engines appear to be a different matter. I have read that during air conditioner operation on the I30, the EGR is electrically isolated and so doesn't function at all. I find this statement perplexing and have no proof that this is in fact the case. But if this is true, then there would appear to be a case for permanent blocking. Note however, that the dealer mechanics always say "if there are any problems, warranty would be affected." I think that means, do so at your own risk.  :neutral:

Offline perakharimau

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle
Sorry to resurrect a pretty old thread, but does anyone know which one is the egr valve ? when I take the crdi engine cover off I see two pipes at the back of the engine -

* one black one that goes from the top of the engine into some tube on the black intake pipe and then another metal one that seems to go from the engine into the exhaust housing of the turbo...

thanks Paul (have been a lurker on this forum for a long time and seemed to have lost my old login in the site upgrade a while back)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Not sure Paul.. Hopefully someone will know  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Xamaxy
Sorry to resurrect a pretty old thread, but does anyone know which one is the egr valve ? when I take the crdi engine cover off I see two pipes at the back of the engine -

* one black one that goes from the top of the engine into some tube on the black intake pipe and then another metal one that seems to go from the engine into the exhaust housing of the turbo...

thanks Paul (have been a lurker on this forum for a long time and seemed to have lost my old login in the site upgrade a while back)

Behind the engine, top-top right area.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
... seemed to have lost my old login in the site upgrade a while back
I sent you a PM about it :)

@Xamaxy - thanks for the pic :goodjob:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline perakharimau

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle
Thanks Shambles - not too fussed, will just go with this one for now  :goodjob:

Hmm interesting, will have to take a photo and highlight the two components I've found and wonder what they are there for.

thanks again guys.

Offline perakharimau

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle
heres some snaps from my iphone - wonder what these are then ? (oh yeah found the egr valve and the tube that delivers it straight to the underside of the (mock?) throttlebody

Looks like the black one going into the intake could be PCV maybe (positive crankcase ventilation)

(no idea what the bottom one is)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 13:43:29 by perakharimau »

Offline Stealth_i30

• 1st Gear
Hi there, I wouldn't bother blocking the egr! The idea of blocking it is great! And there were a few brief moments that I could feel a slight difference, but the computer is too good and at times retarded the performance to compare with driving a non turbo diesel :(! I went and seen a company we use through work for auto electrical as he said they have blocked egr valves before on older cars, and that the benefits are real. But I was advised the i30 is just too switched on. Unfortunately we cleared the engine light only for it to come on by the time I got home! Some 35km of driving later. So I had to disconnect battery and ecu for the night to clear code.
 I was surprised to see how much soot my blank had stopped the first time I put it in which was a couple months earlier and after driving a mere 7km there was a perfect black circle, so I can only imagine how much has gone through my engine as I have some 68k on the clock now.
  • Crdi 4speed auto hatch

Offline bloodnut

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Alright I finally got around to doing the EGR block today, took the car for 20-30 minute drive, different speeds, different revs, zircon on/off, no check engine light so far.
Have not hooked up scangauge yet to see extract intake & water temp drop, but the factory needle gauge looks a little lower.
I will try & put pics of the plate with the soot build up after 20-30 mins driving.
Cheers

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Good work  :goodjob2:   it will be interesting to get some  accurate feed back and anaylsis on the topic as against hearsay or supposition....

Look forward to your updates and if the overall result is positive, maybe a "how to do " summary.... :winker:

Cheers
   Elle B
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good work  :goodjob2:   it will be interesting to get some  accurate feed back and anaylsis on the topic as against hearsay or supposition....

Look forward to your updates and if the overall result is positive, maybe a "how to do " summary.... :winker:

Cheers
   Elle B

:whsaid:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bloodnut

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Just a quick update if anybodies interested, egr block been on a week now, driven everyday, no problems to report, no check engine light, car has done 8500km since last service, oil last week was jet soot black, after a week oil is getting slightly cleaner.
Cheers Bloodnut

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal