i30 Owners Club

EGR valve

bloodnut · 135 · 60906

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Many people do a private oil change @7500 km intervals, why don't you give it a go + new filter. It would be interesting to see the results after a  few k's.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Just a quick update if anybodies interested, egr block been on a week now, driven everyday, no problems to report, no check engine light, car has done 8500km since last service, oil last week was jet soot black, after a week oil is getting slightly cleaner.

Thanks Bloodnut... Interesting.....and it makes sense... but what about performance and so forth...anything noticable yet ?x   :undecided:

Cheers
 Elle B
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline bloodnut

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Didn't do the mod for performance gains, cant say I feel the car going any faster, just filled up yesterday, will see if it makes any difference to economy.
Cheers Bloodnut

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Didn't do the mod for performance gains, cant say I feel the car going any faster, just filled up yesterday, will see if it makes any difference to economy.
Cheers Bloodnut
That will be interesting, please keep us updated.. :goodjob2:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline ghgogov

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      UK,Scotland
Hi to every one,
I'm driving my i30(115) with blocked EGR since June and there is absolutely no faults(problems or what ever) and I've done over 6500mls (10000kms) for that time going to Bulgaria and back to Perth(Scotland)on the way back my last topping up the tank was in Belgium and to the ferry terminal in france(Calais) the odo was showing exactly 100miles(no more or less),then from Dover to Perth after around 8hrs front of my home the computer was showing that there is a diesel for 98miles.In most countries my speeds was 80 85 to 90miles only in UK 75 80 to 85 sometimes. I wish to apologize for my  language grammar but hops any one understanding me.

Regards Gogov

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
We understand fine, ghgogov

Thanks for the report. I really wish diesels didn't have EGR valves. :neutral:

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Thanks Gogov....what about performance, economy  etc.... not faults or problems is one thing....but aside from cleaner oil, there needs to be other measurable benefits to make it worthwhile... :D

Bloodnut....any feed back from you ?

Cheers

Elle B
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline bloodnut

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
ElleB,
There no other benefits that I can report on, other than engine runs cooler, intake temp cooler, no soot & particles going into the engine oil.
Didn't do it for performance, but if you want a cooler & cleaner engine, I think its worthwhile doing. Costs next to nothing to do & is easily reversible if not happy with results.
When it runs out of warranty ealy next year, will do some exhaust mods.
Cheers Bloodnut :goodjob2:

Offline ghgogov

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      UK,Scotland
I forgot to say that the car now pulls a bit  stronger from around 1700(little before 2k rev). Since I did the modification
 on 4th and 5th gear if the acceleration pedal is pressed to the bottom the clutch get slipping some times,even on 3rd  gear on hill streets(if you press right to the bottom off course).

Pip
I forgot to say that the car now pulls a bit  stronger from around 1700(little before 2k rev). Since I did the modification
 on 4th and 5th gear if the acceleration pedal is pressed to the bottom the clutch get slipping some times,even on 3rd  gear on hill streets(if you press right to the bottom off course).
Really? :Yeah:

If your clutch slips under any circumstances it needs repairing.

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B

Offline THE i30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Rockhampton Queensland Australia
A photo would be great sounds like a good way of keeping your engine cleaner better performance will be a bonus also :)
  • 2012 Hyper Silver i30 Elite 1.6 CRDi 6 Speed Manual

Offline bloodnut

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
There is a photo of the block off plate made, in an earlier post, just scroll back.
Cheers Bloodnut

Offline Gabbertje

• 1st Gear

• nl Netherlands
      Grunn

• Ehhhhhhh
Hello,

I own a i30 cw 115bhp diesel 2008, and i would like to block the erg.
But i have a few questions: i assume you block the erg on the inlet side, how hot wil the block plate going to be?
I have a piece of alluninium 1,5mm thick and i dont no if it wil stand the heat?
Or do i have to get a pice of metal? and how thick?

Dos annyone have photo's of an installed block plate?

Greethings from Holland!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Welcome to the forum.
Hopefully someone can answer your questions.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline bloodnut

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Doing the EGR block off mod in the next couple of days on a friends car in the next couple of days, will try to remember to take pictures.
Cheers Bloodnut

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Doing the EGR block off mod in the next couple of days on a friends car in the next couple of days, will try to remember to take pictures.
Cheers Bloodnut

So when are you doing it?  :snigger: Just let us know in the next couple of days  :winker: (I'm only joshing .. have done a similar thing myself)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
I've known people block off the EGR with thin section made from soft drink cans.

From a Vauxhall Forum :-
http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/index.php?threads/blocking-off-egr-valve.100122/
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline ghgogov

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      UK,Scotland

I found the problem with the slipping clutch - because there is a oil on it from the gearbox/probably from the shaft seal/

Offline GranaínoI30

• 1st Gear

• es Spain
      Granada
    • http://www.ClubI30.es
I know the post is old, but I think it is very helpful post on how I canceled I EGR, the tutorial is in Spanish, if you have any questions you can ask without problems.

http://www.clubi30.es/showthread.php?tid=616
  • Hyundai I30 FDE 1.6CRDi

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Thanks for that info !!! :goodjob2:

My Spanish is not real flash.....so I translated it into english in a word file, with the photos. A couple of words are still "off", but certainly we can all get the idea now.. :)

Question is...how to post it...Just copy and paste it into this field?

Advice please.

:snigger:
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I guess that you can copy and paste the text - but any images need to be added via a photobucket image link or a similar host for pictures.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I guess that you can copy and paste the text - but any images need to be added via a photobucket image link or a similar host for pictures.

Hi Tony..  :goodjob: :whsaid:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Thanks guys... will get it sorted..   :happydance:
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I'm a recognised linguist for Spanish so if any translations need fine tuning, let me know if I can help.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Roger que  :head_butt:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :rolleyes: OK, here goes:
Soy lingüista reconocido oficialmente, así que si puedo ayudar, solo hay que avisar.
 :goodjob:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
:rolleyes: OK, here goes:
Soy lingüista reconocido oficialmente, así que si puedo ayudar, solo hay que avisar.
 :goodjob:

Which loosely translates to, "I now have a colour test pattern at the bottom of my posts."
I think?  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Which loosely translates to, "I now have a colour test pattern at the bottom of my posts."
I think?  :undecided:
:rofl:

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Well guys...Here is my take on the report.. I am no guru...just used Google Translate.. :whistler:

Hope the image links work ok... :scared:

Spanish ERG valve blanking

A long time ago since I canceled, but today I shot some pictures to guide you a little bit about how you can do it Brico, the first thing we're going to take a few key steps, know what it is, what it does, the pros and cons of canceling the EGR in our car.

- What is it? The EGR valve is a solenoid valve, to pollute less, enter part of the exhaust gases into the intake manifold, getting re-burn and thus pollute less. It would be like if we respirásemos of carbon dioxide with oxygen, so we breathe bad air. The EGR operates at low speeds, from 2,200 rpm idle until approx., There after remains closed.
What is? Like I said, its function is that the vehicle complies pollutes less and pollution law EURO4 and EURO5.

- Annul Pros: The car breathes better, have a little more pull at low, we note that when leaving the car on a slope out better, especially if we get a speed bump in 2nd and try to lift the car. Apart lengthen the life of the engine, because the intake ducts often get stuck a lot with time and miles. ITV spends 100%, measured in diesel exhaust opacity and EGR has no bearing on it.
- Cons of override: warm more slowly, the car pollutes more ...

- How to cancel? For that matter ...

Materials Needed:
- Sheet less than 0.5 mm thick.
- Ratchet and 10mm socket wrench. and 13mm.
- Pliers pressure.

data:
- Required Time: 1.30 h. Approx.
- Estimated price: 0??.
- Difficulty: Medium, we can not forget any parts to assemble everything, we must pay close attention to what we do.

So getting started.

1. The first is to remove the engine cover and hood intake for it dismantle the two screws on the top and two of the bell, the 4 are 10mm., After removing the screws, pull the cover upward to release from behind, and to draw up the throw hood while outside.

http://postimage.org/image/4h0wr155z/

2.2. Then we remove the pipe coming from the intercooler, for this first remove the clamp, we use pressure pliers, and once released carefully throw the tube out of its Location.
http://postimage.org/image/5n4wpttgn/

3. We must remove the meter of air to remove the two screws it 10mm. we see in the image, after removing disconnect the sensor by pressing on the clip and took the connector, once taken everything we threw the entire module and we have it on the street: (EYE; Now we have the air intake manifold, not fall we carry anything inside the engine, I suggest putting a newspaper or something to prevent strain anything ... If sneaks uproot NO CAR, try to recover what has been dropped with a magnet or something).

http://postimage.org/image/5n4wpttgn/

4. Now we have to remove the EGR tube to the inlet manifold, which is where we plug the operation without affecting EGR valve lest we jump failure, for it took out the two screws that hold it, one is behind them as shown in the image.

http://postimage.org/image/9ap99mr1j/

5. The other is in the front, two screws are 13mm., What you see is that by not oily adjust the gasket correctly reezuma some oil fumes out there, let's not important, it's just a little  spotting.

http://postimage.org/image/hexdeddgn/

6. Once we removed the board, is the photo, careful not to drop the engine to the need to make the plate well.

http://postimage.org/image/w389pgdwn/

7. Below I show a chop of what needs to be done, copy the whole sheet without the big hole average, 4 pin not necessary, copy the plate and screw holes have enough:

http://postimage.org/image/hml0avofb/

My comments below:
 Seems simple enough and there is a heap of info about the benefits on the net....

The other thing that has come to light , it that some of the desiel additives for fuel, to offset the removal of the sulphur, are making a good difference as well... .. I am looking into that now.. will report back soon..

Cheers
 Elle B

• 2016 i30 CW auto

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal