EGR valve

bloodnut · 135 · 60900

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Just reading through it now, structure is still clunky from the all-too-literal translator but the sense comes through. 'respirasemos' means 'as if we were to breathe' - just the first observation, still reading...
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I'm worried about the 0.5 mm metal plate. If you look at blanking plates on eBay, they;re much thicker. I feel exhaust could melt that plate easily. Could be a metric decimal problem   :whistler:

This example is 6mm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EGR-REMOVAL-BLANKING-PLATE-KIT-MITSUBISHI-DELICA-PAJERO-CANTER-L400-L300-L200-/271145533413?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f21887fe5&_uhb=1#ht_1979wt_1139
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
OK, here's my translation directly overtyping the Spanish, no Google. I find it really messes with my head if I try fixing Google's quirky phraseological guesswork. It's after ten and I'm starting to squint, so pardon the on-the-fly typos. I'm sure I'll find them all tomorrow.  :rolleyes:

--------------------------------

It's a long time since I disabled it, but today I took some photos to show you how you can do this. First we're going to take some key steps , know what it is, it's purpose, the pros and cons of disabling the EGR in our car.

- What is it? The EGR valve is a solenoid that, to reduce pollution, introduces part of the gas flow from the exhaust pipe to the inlet manifold, achieving a reburn and therefore cleaner outcome. It would be something like us breathing part of our CO2 with our O2, so that we breathe bad air. The EGR funcions at low revs, from idle to 2,200 RPM approx., from this point on it remains closed.

- What's its purpose? As I've said, its funcion is to have the vehicle pollute less, complying with EURO4 and EURO5 pollution laws.

- Pros of disabling: The car breathes better, shall have somewhat more torque down low, we shall notice that taking off on incline the car takes off better, above all if we hit a speed hump in 2nd gear and try lifting (hoon?) the car. Apart from this we prolong useful engine life, since the gas flows tend to become increasingly blocked over time and kilometres. It passes inspection 100%, in diesels exhaust opacity is measured and EGR has absolutely no bearing on this.

- Cons of disabling: It will reach operating temperature more slowly, the car pollutes somewhat more...

- How to disable it? That's where we're going...

Necessary materials:
- (Metal) sheet at least 0.5mm in thickness.
- Ratchet and socket wrench 10mm. and 13mm.
- Pressure(?) pliers.

Info:
- Time taken: 1:30h. Approx.
- Estimated price: 0€.
- Difficulty: Medium, we can't forget any component as we rebuild everything, we have to pay a lot of attention to what we're doing.

We begin:
1. The first step is to dismantle the engine cover and the inlet bell (manifold?), for that we dismantle the 2 screws of the cover and the 2 of the bell, the 4 are 10mm., once off, we pull upwards on the cover to free it from behind, and to remove the bell we pull upwards at the same time as out.

2. Following on, we should remove the pipe coming from the intercooler, for that first we remove the bracket, using the pressure pliers, and once free, pull on the tube carefully to extract it:

3. Remove the air meter, for this remove the 2 10mm screws. as seen in the image, once removed disconnect the sensor by pressing the clip, once removed, pull on the whole module and it's out: (CAUTION: Now we have  the inlet collector exposed, don't let anything fall into it or we will blow the motor, I advise putting newspaper or something to avoid anything getting in... If it does DONT TURN ON THE ENGINE, try recovering whatever fell in with a magnet or something).

4. Now we have to remove the EGR pipe at the inlet of the collector, which is where we can plug the operation of the EGR without affecting the valve so that we won't get caught out, for that we take out the 2 screws that hold it, one of them is behind as seen in the image:

5. The other is on the front part, both are 13mm., what you see oily is that by not getting a good join it sweats a bit of oil fumes here, no big deal, it's simply a bit stained.

6. Once removed we have the join, as in the photo, take care that it does fall against the motor because we need to use it as a mould to create one the same.

7. Following on I show you what has to be done, we have to copy the sheet fully without the big hole in the middle, the 4 flanges are not necessary, copying the sheet with hole and screw holes is sufficient:

8. We assemble everything.

With that and "a piece of cake" we have the mod done, now to enjoy our new motor :lol: .

P.S: I have my sheet available for whomever wants it they want to start making their own ahead of time and that way make the mod quicker, I'll probably pass it to Apejeje on the 22nd, when I make his sheet if you want to start asking ;) .

I hope this will help!!!

Offline GranaínoI30

• 1st Gear

• es Spain
      Granada
    • http://www.ClubI30.es
It is very difficult for me to translate from Spanish to English, do not understand much English and can be dangerous to translate Hahahaha.

Using the Google translator and following the most or least you can understand.

The phases are:
1. Access to the valve (See Photo)
2. Remove the valve gasket.
3. Replace gasket blind.

It summarizes VERY big but pretty much that.

It should be added that in time could leave the dashboard Check Control, especially sudden changes in atmospheric pressure, but disappears after 5 starts, do not worry, I when traveling to the beach, I am in an area 1500m above sea level and less than 50km. we are on the beach, but there are no more problems.
  • Hyundai I30 FDE 1.6CRDi

Offline rcflyers

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
If what I have read elsewhere is true, i.e. that the EGR valve will remain closed while the air conditioning is on, maybe it is possible to fool the cars ECU into thinking the aircon is on all the time by connecting a 12v wire to the pin on the ECU that senses if the aircon is on or not.

I am assuming that when the aircon is active a 12v supply is fed to a specific ECU pin.

I have the Hyundai workshop manual on my laptop but for some reason the wiring diagrams won't display.

Surely, in a hot country where you would have the aircon on permanently, the EGR valve would never be operated?
  • Getz i30

Offline bloodnut

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
If you get  your ECU remapped, you can get the Egr disabled, bypassed, what ever you want to call it. I don't see how your car takes longer to warm up, I thought engine temp was set by thermostat. Also can anybody prove our car pollutes more, if it is running  & breathing more effienctly?
Wifes car just got over 1200km today, took 55lt to fill, very happy.
Just interested in different views, not having a go at anybody, just here to learn.
Cheers Bloodnut

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
No doubt we would all like to see the end of EGR, myself included. The prime function of the EGR is to reduce the combustion temp inside the cylinders to reduce the amount of nitrous oxide that results from high temperature combustion of fuel / air. So no matter how much better it breathes or visibly cleaner is appears to run, too much NOx is produced which is dirty and harmful.

NOx is 298 times more greenhouse gas than CO2 So although you espouse the removal of this valve, my grandchildren will have to contend with your input.

Not having a go at you, just saying.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I see illegal engine mods as a P-plater's preoccupation. Eventually, we come to realise that if the feature were not absolutely necessary, the car manufacturers would be eliminating them on the drawing board. If they're not doing that, it's because it is absolutely necessary, be it for performance or environmental reasons. :victory:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Being a bit of a car nut and in particular a P nut, I do see the benefit in some automotive modifications.
For example, extractors and free flowing exhaust systems.
The car manufacturers are hog tied by restrictive legislation and also, they build down to a price, but there's no doubt that after-market improvements can be made in several areas.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Sure improvements can be made but not often in isolation (today's cars would need a lot of retuning for some changes) and certainly not by removing EGR. :lol:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Yes, I wasn't talking about the EGR.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I do miss the low tech when there was enough room inside my HQ's engine bay that I could get in it when it rained and continue to tune the Weber, check the timing, etc. Life was simple back then. :victory:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Being a bit of a car nut and in particular a P nut, I do see the benefit in some automotive modifications.
For example, extractors and free flowing exhaust systems.
The car manufacturers are hog tied by restrictive legislation and also, they build down to a price, but there's no doubt that after-market improvements can be made in several areas.

Same here, but your mods do not contribute to environmental pollution, (except noise).  :lol:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

:mrgreen:
And a lovely noise I make too.
And my car.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
The mind boggles at the thought of you fitting extractors to achieve better flowthrough. :eek:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal