i30 Owners Club

EGR valve

bloodnut · 135 · 60877

Offline bloodnut

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Has anybody on this forum blocked off thier EGR valve, i have done this on another crdi ute i currently own, it has lowered intake air temps, water temp a little, seems to be a little more torque & slightly better fuel economy, overall the engine run a lot cooler & more efficiant.
Cheers Bloodnut :)

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
i wonder what it would do! its supposed to lower N0x i think and diesel smoke, by adding exhaust gas to the intake...

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
petrol engines also have an egr valve.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
and void my warranty?  no thanks.  :P :lol:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
nah... do it internally on the tube!!

come on mate!!! get the tig out! fill the tube and BAM!! no one will know!

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
In the UK the car would fail the emissions part of its MOT test with this modification. Very costly and not very environmentally friendly :exclaim:

Not that I'm a member of greenpeace or anything.  :lol:

Offline bloodnut

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
If its any help to anybody, on my other crdi car i made a 3mm shim that just simply slides into place,
can easily be removed for warranty issues.
Cheers Bloodnut :wink:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
In the UK the car would fail the emissions part of its MOT test with this modification. Very costly and not very environmentally friendly :exclaim:

the same in oz mate,unroadworthy vehicle sticker applied to windscreen. anything after 1978 has the egr,earlier than that its classed as a pre pollution engine.  :idea:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
not everything has an EGR... the nissans i have owned never had it!!!

it really shocked me when i was looking at the car just after i bought it to see an ERG tube... i thought the days of that were over!

Offline simon@mgr

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ingham, FNQ
There are two way of getting diesels to comply with the Euro anti polution laws, which by the way, they use in Oz for trucks.
One is to use AdBlue and the the other is EGR.

Now rembember, thems that does wrong will be punsished,

If they get caught, that is :lol:
  • 2008 FD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, Manual, Grey

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
EGR blocking is common on many makes, I believe Hy use a different term for similar technology but I DONT see any Threads about poor "EGR" performance / failure on this site.

I had a new EGR on my last car, a Fiat Grande Punto, 1.9 MJet, at around 50,000 miles as it became completely choked / blocked & the solenoid operation plunger had seized with soot. Many Fiat owners ask about & discuss the advantages / draw-backs of blocking off the EGR. Bottom line is that there is no performance or economy benefits over a fully operational EGR, however, if there were issues related to a partly ineffective EGR then blocking i off MAY seem to improve things. In reality, he EGR provides a cooling effect on the incoming charge for combustion as well as reducing the NoX content of a modern diesel, probably the same for a petrol engine with an EGR... Some schools of thoughts suggest blocking the EGR may be detrimental to Turbo life....
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

the same in oz mate,unroadworthy vehicle sticker applied to windscreen. anything after 1978 has the egr,earlier than that its classed as a pre pollution engine.  :idea:

Thats true but Australia being so much larger than the UK like how many times would you fit the UK into the state of West Australia? and we have a much lower population ( but boats arriving all the time ).
i don't think i can remember ever having been asked to have anything tested for polution and i cover a lot of ground each year driving.
Do they test you regular in VIC?

Offline simon@mgr

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ingham, FNQ
AdBlue is a catalysing compound which is added to the exhaust to lower polutants
  • 2008 FD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, Manual, Grey

Offline bobbyd

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
How did you work out intake temps were down with egr valve blocked ? 

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Taken from the USA Patents office FAQ's
http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20080216476

BACKGROUND OF THE INVENTION
[0003]An internal combustion (IC) engine may include an exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system for controlling the generation of undesirable pollutant gases and particulate matter in the operation of internal combustion engines. EGR systems primarily recirculate the exhaust gas by-products into the intake air supply of the internal combustion engine. The exhaust gas which is reintroduced to the engine cylinder reduces the concentration of oxygen therein, which in turn lowers the maximum combustion temperature within the cylinder and slows the chemical reaction of the combustion process, decreasing the formation of nitrous oxides (NOx). Furthermore, the exhaust gases typically contain unburned hydrocarbons which are burned on reintroduction into the engine cylinder, which further reduces the emission of exhaust gas by-products which would be emitted as undesirable pollutants from the IC engine.

Read more: http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20080216476#ixzz143yFeiD8

Offline bloodnut

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Does anybody have pictures of where the egr valve is located on the i30? As stated before have blocked off egr in another current model crdi, slighty better fuel economy & cool engine temps {scanguage}. Have just cleaned crap off MAP & MAF sensor on other vehicle &  would also be interested where these are located on the i30.
Thanks in advance.
Bloodnut

Offline bloodnut

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
 :) C'mon guys get with the program! I will soon host pictures of what your MAP sensor looks like after 90k!
Blocking off the egr & cleaning MAP  & MAF sensor make sense! Like i said i have done this on a  2010 crdi
model car. Going to search tomorrow on the wifes car for this mod, its worthwhile. Have look on otherr deisiel forums.
Cheers Bloodnut.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

I've never heard of EGR problems on the i30 so if thats the case why block off something that should be there & is working as intended, risking other issues to boot? Do you know something that Hyundai dont?  :winker:

Offline bloodnut

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Its not a problem, no I dont know more than Hyundai. Just know from experience that the egr is dumping hot exhaust gases into your inlet manifold, increasing engine temps, sooting up your manifold & sensors & breaking down your engine oil quicker.
Good luck guys.
CheersBloodnut

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
Its not a problem, no I dint know more than Hyundai. Just know from experience that the egr is dumping hot exhaust gases into your inlet manifold, increasing engine temps, sooting up your manifold & sensors & breaking down your engine oil quicker.
Good luck guys.
CheersBloodnut

I am no technician,  but Bloodnut's post sounds logical to me,
i would prefer to input clean filtered air into my engine than sooty
old exhaust gas, which must be oxygen depleted ?
In my opinion it is detrimental, and is only done to meet emissions.

only an opinion

Pip
.. In my opinion it is detrimental, and is only done to meet emissions.
This is the whole point... it is to reduce emissions... and this is important when the world agrees it's important.

I don't know how old you are but I do hope that the younger inhabitants of the world can learn to make better decisions that might affect the next "whatever" years the world has.

Mind you, I also need to be pulled along by others making the legislation to improve the environment but at the same time I'm not about to defy that even if "it cools my intake".

It's a matter of big picture versus... your picture. :faint:

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
Personally, i think global warming is a load of bo**ocks,
 its just another ploy to get more money from us !
 :twisted:

Offline daveybaby68

• 1st Gear
I blocked my EGR valve today on my i30 premium 2.0crdi ,,WOW what a difference no more hesitation and so much more quieter then before NO more turbo lad its like a new car also gained about 13 more horses aswell. took it to friends garage its standard no mods running now at 152bhp feels like it aswell..
easily done used a ali coke can to make a solid gasket
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 13:44:18 by daveybaby68 »
  • i30 premium 2.0crdi BOSE SOUNDSYSTEM

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

Bad choice to use coke can I'm afraid. Exhaust gasses are hot, even EGR ones. That'll probably go through your engine fairly soon.

On the subject of EGR, The idea of EGR is mainly to deplete oxygen levels so that full combustion can not occur, thus lowering NOx & combustion temps in the engine. Unfortunately it also contains particulates which are bad for your engine & oil. I think the mention that unburnt hydrocarbons also present in the EGR charge are re-combusted is a load of bull****. How can it be re-combusted if O2 is depleted already.

I hate the idea of EGR but the engine is designed for it and should be left alone IMO.

I have 2 ideas that I would like to see rather than EGR

1. Use a compressed gas cylinder of CO2 (there's plenty of it around apparantely) & inject that with an appropriate valve.

2. Inject water instead of EGR to put out the combustion process just enough to lower temps, not drown everything. This system could achieve temp lowering, uses only water in small amounts. All engines make more power in humid air than dry air, so there would possibly be a power gain as a result.

Lastly, I haven't looked at I30 but EGR's I've seen in the past are usually vacuum operated. So, if you were going to block your EGR, wouldn't you just block the vacuum tube instead of using shims, Coke cans etc.

Don't do it, I believe you will harm your engine over time.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline daveybaby68

• 1st Gear
i been told by many people that it dont harm the engine. even the mechanic at my local hyundai dealer said block it off, it helps the engine breath clean air instead of its own S**t, plus helps turbo spoll up quick which is less turbo lag. the egr on i30 is electronic and runs at the back of engine from turbo. FRom my experiance the car runs smoother , alot quieter , and alot more torque and power. people have different opinions regarding egr valve. But when my local hyundai mechanic says block it , that said it all for me. i used coke can as tempory shim just to see if it caused any warning lights. and it hasn't... if you do block your egr valve block from exhaust side not the valve itself, and leave valve connected to loom. then it wont bring up any faults cos ECU thinks its still doing its job.

Thanks guys i will keep you posted if i get any fault lights come up

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks, interesting discussion   :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline daveybaby68

• 1st Gear
No problems hope this helps anyone who wishs to block the egr valve. i can send pictures of egr location and were to block it from

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal