i30 Owners Club

Less economy with Wooly`s Caltex

Lakes · 20 · 6496

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi  all, might just be the one outless but two weeks back i filled at a Caltex Woolys that was selling Vortex Diesel @ 1.44' i did 960k & light came on all Sydney driving not sparing the horses. normally i would go 1,060k to 1,100k on my local Caltex Vortex Diesel. no worries just thought i would post it.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for that John (that's a big difference)  :eek:

Sounds like more than a coincidence  :-\
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Hi  all, might just be the one outless but two weeks back i filled at a Caltex Woolys that was selling Vortex Diesel @ 1.44' i did 960k & light came on all Sydney driving not sparing the horses. normally i would go 1,060k to 1,100k on my local Caltex Vortex Diesel. no worries just thought i would post it.

I use Caltex Vortex diesel exclusively. I wish I was getting that economy out of my CW. I get between 600 and 700km per tank (50 - 55ltrs). Not Happy Jan :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Rektanaku

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
from where would you say has the best quality diesel? shell or caltex or any others?

thanks

Offline mantaray

• 3rd Gear
Had the same problem with woolies Diesel, even ran rougher especially when starting first off. Only use BP ultimate now- have to take out a new loan to be able to buy it these days though - :faint:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I use Caltex Vortex diesel exclusively. I wish I was getting that economy out of my CW. I get between 600 and 700km per tank (50 - 55ltrs). Not Happy Jan :mad: :mad: :mad:

Unfortunately, that fairly average 4 speed auto box in the auto i30 costs CRDi owners around 20% or more in extra fuel.. :-\

...although I get the impression from owners on here it is still a good drive  :goodjob:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

I've never driven an Auto CRDi as yet, but one of our members talked about how he drove the auto to get the best economy. but first off i must stress that i fill my tank to the very top every fill & thats another reason i get the distance from a tank. as i have said in past once my light comes on or soon after i get 56L to 57L into the tank to fill up. How many Litres do you normally put in your tank doing 600k?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
from where would you say has the best quality diesel? shell or caltex or any others?

thanks

I've always been happy with Caltex Vortex Diesel, but we have not got BP Ultimate Diesel here in Sydney yet, i find my car runs better on Vortex but hard call on what is thge best diesel, more people seem to think BP has the best diesel. i'm just going on feed back from Betsy she runs smooth & happy on Vortex Diesel. i'll be giving her a tast of BP Ultimate Diesel this weekend so see what she think's.

trucks i drive at work only get filled with Shell  as they have Shell fleet cards seems ok in them.

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
trucks i drive at work only get filled with Shell  as they have Shell fleet cards seems ok in them.

Lakes

Are the trucks using the standard Diesel fuel or the 'Shell Diesel Extra' fuel?

Regards

Daniel

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Lakes

Are the trucks using the standard Diesel fuel or the 'Shell Diesel Extra' fuel?

Regards

Daniel

Daniel i did not know there was a Shell Extra Diesel? if you tell me more i'll make sure i fill the trucks with it see if there is a gain. every time i fill at shell i only see diesel on the pump. with the trucks i just set the trigger on the pump and wait for it to cut out, like old days with petrol ( what happened there?)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

. with the trucks i just set the trigger on the pump and wait for it to cut out, like old days with petrol ( what happened there?)

Since they have gone to self service they have dropped the latch idea (an attendant once told me it was madatory down here with self serve)

I guess one reason might be that people would potter around checking their tyre or oil etc.. after it had clicked off and hold up the traffic.. :-\

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

I've never driven an Auto CRDi as yet, but one of our members talked about how he drove the auto to get the best economy. but first off i must stress that i fill my tank to the very top every fill & thats another reason i get the distance from a tank. as i have said in past once my light comes on or soon after i get 56L to 57L into the tank to fill up. How many Litres do you normally put in your tank doing 600k?

Lakes, Like you I fill right to the top of the filler spout. Generally I get 10ltrs more in the tank after it clicks off. I also manage to get between 55 and 57ltrs per fill, so you can see why I'm not too happy with the economy. Having said that, the CDRi auto is a pleasure to drive and since I have had the 18 x 7.5" wheels, it is a lot of fun to drive too. I don't drive like a nanna either :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Daniel i did not know there was a Shell Extra Diesel? if you tell me more i'll make sure i fill the trucks with it see if there is a gain. every time i fill at shell i only see diesel on the pump. with the trucks i just set the trigger on the pump and wait for it to cut out, like old days with petrol ( what happened there?)

Lakes

It seems to be targetted solely at Transport and Mining industries.

http://www.shell.com.au/home/content/aus/products_services/on_the_road/fuels/diesel_extra/transport/

Also I filled up a fortnight ago now at a BP in Hornsby that had a latch on the pump still.

Regards

Daniel

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Lakes, Like you I fill right to the top of the filler spout. Generally I get 10ltrs more in the tank after it clicks off. I also manage to get between 55 and 57ltrs per fill, so you can see why I'm not too happy with the economy. Having said that, the CDRi auto is a pleasure to drive and since I have had the 18 x 7.5" wheels, it is a lot of fun to drive too. I don't drive like a nanna either :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't like calling a lady Ugly Mungrel ( LOL ) but we are online m8's so .... Ugly Mungrel seem's a bit thirsty but as you said your driving for fun & your new wheels & tyres give it added pleasure. i know an Auto Diesel would have a lot of go as to compiment the Torue of the diesel the auto has a Torque converter that builds up Torque.
normaly with these new age computer controled Auto's they learn the way you drive and shift acordingly, some go into a sport mode when you move the selector to cut out overdrive or hold a gear, normaly hold a gear to higher rev for performance. but i'm not sure if the Hyundai auto is set up like this or not? the normal way to clear the electronic shift Auto's memory to start a clean sheet and learn again, is to disconect battery then reconnect, trouble is all your other setting like clock and so on might all have to be reset, so could be a pain. otherwise you have to go easy till your baby is in top gear then use the Torque to excellerate , just use the throtle a bit more gentle to stop her kicking down a gear. watch your tach ( rev counter ) once they get to 1,900rev they have 255nm of Torque, the Torque is what thrusts you forward not the power, it has a flat short Torque curve like all diesels it's the same at 1,900 till about 3,000. if you can try and keep your rev's around the 1,900 to 2,200 mark you should see a gain. try it see what happens. it's very hard to explaine how to drive an auto diesel for Economy. but they can get good economy too.
cheers

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Thanks for your advice Lakes.  Most of my driving is inner city,stop-start, speed up, speed down type situations. I do 35Km to work each day and it takes between 45 and 60 minutes. 90% of that is in pretty heavy traffic.

I'm disappointed in the fuel consumption, but as I said before, I enjoy driving my car and wouldn't change it.

Offline ithurtydeesl

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Latrobe Valley, Victoria
I have recently fitted a "tuning Box" to Kaz's diesel auto, and our fuel useage has gone from 6.4l/100 to 5.8l/100 around town, on a short 140km trip recently we had it down to 5.1l/100 where the best we had seen before was 5.7l/100 on a 500km drive.. We a sitting on posted speeds with the cruise on. cheers Gaz n Kaz
  • SLX Diesel Auto

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I have recently fitted a "tuning Box" to Kaz's diesel auto, and our fuel useage has gone from 6.4l/100 to 5.8l/100 around town, on a short 140km trip recently we had it down to 5.1l/100 where the best we had seen before was 5.7l/100 on a 500km drive.. We a sitting on posted speeds with the cruise on. cheers Gaz n Kaz

Which tuning box did you fit?
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline ithurtydeesl

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Latrobe Valley, Victoria

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
yer elaborate more with us!!! there are some really cheap tuning boxes on ebay...

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal