i30 Owners Club

i30 Crdi 128HP & 136 HP engines difference? (New owner and Racechip impression)

t4orce · 9 · 3851

Offline t4orce

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hey guys, I'm a new owner of a 1.6 Diesel with the 128HP engine and was wondering if anyone actually knows what is the difference in the slightly more powerful engine to produce 136HP? The reason I'm asking is because I've had a Racechip Ultimate installed in mine and while it makes a big difference, the higher output engine can squeeze even more ponies out when you look at the Racechip site so it makes me wonder..Do they use different injectors perhaps? :Dunno:

As for driving impressions I must say, I tend to drive the car more in Semi/Auto and change gears myself as it feels more responsive but I miss the paddle shifters from my old Golf GT Tdi Sport. I am yet to use the Ultimate mode in the Racechip but when I do I should be getting somewhere close to the 170HP that the Golf had(theoretically at least). So far I've put about 9000 kms on the clock in just a few months and  it is quick, 3rd & 4th gears are my faves  :Drive: with a tendency to accelerate up hills and defy gravity  :wink: I don't exactly baby it and yet it's sitting on ~5.3-5.5l/100kms and that's city and lots of highway combined, only problem is I want more power sigh.. :whistler:
  • i30 GD2 CRDi 2014 Auto 128hp

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome t4orce,

What model are you talking? The series 1 (FD)? :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline t4orce

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi Dazzler, my bad..mine is a 2014 diesel GD2 Active 128hp model. I just had a quick look actually on carsales to double check my model and I've discovered something interesting. It seems that the GD2 models run 17.3 engine compression whereas the GD3/GD4 models (136hp) run only 16.. Hmm I wonder if that means they run more turbo boost which might even answer my own question  :neutral:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 14:33:37 by t4orce »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Dazzler, my bad..mine is a 2014 diesel GD2 Active 128hp model. I just had a quick look actually on carsales to double check my model and I've discovered something interesting. It seems that the GD2 models run 17.3 engine compression whereas the GD3/GD4 models (136hp) run only 16.. Hmm I wonder if that means they run more turbo boost which might even answer my own question  :neutral:

The reason I asked is that this difference has been hardly (if ever) discussed on here. The FD (series 1) did get a tiny tweak in power output when they went to what was known as the U2 engine and the 6 speed manual box.

Like you say, that could explain it.

Offline t4orce

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Yeah, like you said there doesn't seem to be much information about it available and it just bugged me, cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah, like you said there doesn't seem to be much information about it available and it just bugged me, cheers

I think it pretty much snuck under the radar. Not many have even realized there was a difference.  I certainly didn't and I know my i30 stats pretty well for a mature aged gentleman (a debatable description) :snigger:

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
a mature aged gentleman (a debatable description)
Outgoing Likeable Dude Freely Articulating Reasonable Thoughts :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

a mature aged gentleman (a debatable description)
Outgoing Likeable Dude Freely Articulating Reasonable Thoughts :whistler:

Now you're back on my good side.  :D :goodjob: I'll ignore the anagram...

Offline t4orce

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Ha ha, I mean Lol .. I guess I'm entering the 'middle ages' myself soon :whistler:
Cheers

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal