i30 Owners Club

I30 swap to 2.2 crdi

Offline Dragon rider

• 1st Gear

• ma Morocco
      CASABLANCA
Hello there! I'm the proud owner of a Hyundai i30 2008 1.6 CRDI -DIESEL- recently a cousin of mine crashed his santa fe and is giving it away, I'm thinking full swap 2.2 crdi engine with the gearbox and all, 4WD, suspension and brakes. I'm from morocco where Hyundai isn't that popular. so, any guidance.. is it possible to do it ? I'm not a mechanic but i'm willing to work on it.. I know the basics.
  • a 2010 HYUNDAI I30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You might get the engine to fit...maybe :undecided: but I cant see how you would get the 4WD system hooked up without serious $ for body/chassis modifications.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The implant of the 2.2 Crdi into an i30 is something many have dreamed of on here, but it won't be easy I suspect. Different size/class of car so I would expect mounting points to be different etc. Also, I would imagine the connection of Transmission to engine would be different size as well. :crazy1: (This is a non-mechanic speaking of course)

As Craig says, switching the running gear over to 4WD will be near impossible without body mods.

The other consideration is if the donor car is damaged enough for him to be giving it away how many of the parts you want to cannibalize are damaged? (possibly internally)  :undecided:

Sorry, great idea but nearly impossible in my honest opinion.  :Pout:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
If you can't find an example of that configuration from the manufacturer or anywhere else on the internet, it will be impossible*.

* affordably
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Time , time, alcohol,  money, alcohol,
Would need to be attacked like a Hotrod old body on modern driveline upgrade.
Strip Santa to floor pan , cut bottom out of  i30, cut, stuff, bend both to suit.
Many, many headaches and headbutts. Sounds simple but is far from the case.
Sounds like Morocco rego is pretty relaxed, how about a mini moke style body, or,  a soft top with no door frames, a couple of roll bars over the top. Would be different but easier by keeping the floor pan and drive line intact.
Any other thoughts?
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Time , time, alcohol,  money, alcohol,
Would need to be attacked like a Hotrod old body on modern driveline upgrade.
Strip Santa to floor pan , cut bottom out of  i30, cut, stuff, bend both to suit.
Many, many headaches and headbutts. Sounds simple but is far from the case.
Sounds like Morocco rego is pretty relaxed, how about a mini moke style body, or,  a soft top with no door frames, a couple of roll bars over the top. Would be different but easier by keeping the floor pan and drive line intact.
Any other thoughts?

+1 Too many modifications, mounting points, drive train, struts, floor, it gives me a headache just contemplating it.
I had a friend who once built a wooden kit car, with wooden panels, wooden dash and it wouldn't go.  Good luck all the same
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I had a friend who once built a wooden kit car, with wooden panels, wooden dash and it wouldn't go.  Good luck all the same
I wooden know him wood I? did he have a wooden leg :)

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Quote from: Crustycottage on 37 minutes  ago
I wooden know him wood I? did he have a wooden leg

No termites got that Pommie mate, well that and the credit card bailiffs after he maxed out on his 4 creditcards trying to get it to work.  :wacko:
This was a Morgan/ Caterham style kit with very nice leather Recaros, i recall but we are digressing........  :whistler:
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal