i30 Owners Club

i30 2013 1.4 - Brake Issues

Offline clickweb

• 1st Gear

• Cornwall
Hello,

Just found your forum and hoping to stay with lots to read!

I'm after some help diagnosing a problem: After maybe 30 mins of driving if i go down a steep hill the brakes are fine but when i release the brake at the bottom I can hear like a grinding sound as the wheel turns. If I completely stop and press the brake down and go again the sound is gone or leave it for a few mins, I have replaced the front and back pads and one of the back break calipers in the past 2 months but that didn't sort the problem. I dropped it in the garage to check but they couldn't find anything but as it only seems to happen when hot? What would your thoughts be and how would you diagnose which wheel it's coming from? Car: i30 2013

Many Thanks Ryan
  • i30 1.4 Petrol

Offline GaKu

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Zealand

• 2011 1.4 petrol
What about the brake discs? They could be deforming due to the heat and rub against the pad. But its unlikely.

Or maybe the pad is still not going all the way back after releasing the brake?
  • 2011 i30

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Stab in the dark time  but maybe check all caliper guide pins are free and not seized.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline clickweb

• 1st Gear

• Cornwall
Thanks for your ideas,

I thought it might be a caliper pin so I took them all off today, cleaned and greased them all. One of them was seized so I was hoping that was the issue but after taking it for a drive the problem is still there! I also took an idea from another post using a infrared gun to check temps the right hand front one is around 30 degrees hotter than the left front.

So I'm thinking this is where the issue is?! Next stop I guess is either changing the caliper or dics eventually I will run out of things to change!

Thanks for your help. Ryan 
  • i30 1.4 Petrol

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal