i30 Owners Club

Help. Attempted fuel filter replacement. Brakes rock solid now.

Misha · 16 · 7438

Offline Misha

• 2nd Gear
  • Sir Newb

• au Australia
      ACT
Hey,

Attempted diesel fuel filter replacement on my 2010 crdi, only to realize i didn't have a 12mm deep socket. So put it back together(without changing it out, never got the assembly off of the 4 studs attaching it).
But now the brake pedal isn't working almost at all, its rock hard, and the car just wants to go unless i throw it in park.
Only thing i can think of that i may have done wrong is a 'pumped' the top of the fuel filter container 4 or 5 times as i got the instructions messed up in wrong order.

Currently undriveable.

used this guide( :link: i30 diesel fuel filter replacement.pdf - Google Drive ), but as i said above, stuffed up the order and pumped before removing it.

Never ended up replacing fuel filter as i was missing the 12mm deep socket.

Any suggestions or ideas on what i may have done ?
  • 2010 DIESEL 1.6lt CRDi (BUILT MAY 10), AUTO SLX FD5DSLX16D31, black

Offline Paolo39

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leicester

Offline Misha

• 2nd Gear
  • Sir Newb

• au Australia
      ACT
Brake booster vacuum line cracked or not attached.

Would you have a picture of what i would look for. not having much luck on google atm ..

Definitely hear a whistling noise as stated in a random YouTube video.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
@Capitalroaduser
Agree, think page 6&7 , has the hose to the booster.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Misha

• 2nd Gear
  • Sir Newb

• au Australia
      ACT
@Capitalroaduser

Thankyou for your help guys, I feel like an idiot. Took the brake booster line off only to realise its a 1 way only line.... short story short, i had the line on backwards.

:rofl:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
@Capitalroaduser

Thankyou for your help guys, I feel like an idiot. Took the brake booster line off only to realise its a 1 way only line.... short story short, i had the line on backwards.

:rofl:
@Capitalroaduser   @Paolo39
Great stuff mate !!
Problem described, thoughts provided absorbed. Rectified by perpetrator.  :winker: :goodjob::goodjob2:
Nex, grab a few more tools and mark hoses etc with dab of paint or nail polish ( drys quick )

Offline Misha

• 2nd Gear
  • Sir Newb

• au Australia
      ACT
Finally got around to getting a 12mm deep socket. Replaced fuel filter, took me(first time doing it myself) about 1 hr, tho at least 15-20 mins of that was trying to get the filter unscrewed from the top-works , it was on there well and truly (hopefully since I oiled the o-ring this time it wont be so bad next time).

2 random questions :
1 : When taking off the bottom sensor the o-ring plastic thing was deteriorated around the edges, and was slightly brittle. Is it worth replacing next time ? or isn't it an issue ?

2: first start up the car stalled <1 second after turning the engine on. Then second time around after turning the engine on again it was a little rough(engine idle) for about 5 seconds. Is this anything to worry about. Has been fine since. (Im assuming may have had a small amount of air in one of the lines even tho i pumped the fuel through the filter correctly.

Interestingly enough looking back through my dealer log book service invoices, last time it was replaced was @120k service, but they didn't replace it (according to paper work) on my 150k log book service. Which i'm not overly happy about, considering shes up to 184k now, so its long overdue.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Got some tools  :goodjob:
Rubber seal thingy - would chase one up, just in case. Don't have diesel so cant really be sure.
Possible air did get in, a little usually does. (Experience from doing diesel filters on ex-work machines).
I like all types of filters to be checked /changed regularly.

Offline NotaN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
With any CRD car I always cycle the ignition a few times to make sure the filter is full of fuel before starting and then let them idle for a few  minutes before touching the throttle to allow all the air to bleed out. I replace Diesel fuel filters in my own car every 10k.
  • I30 SR Premium PD

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
With any CRD car I always cycle the ignition a few times to make sure the filter is full of fuel before starting

Does not work with i30 crdi. No tank pump.

Currently undriveable.
Any suggestions or ideas ...?

Next time get wife to help.  :rolleyes: :whistler:

But Seriously, take photos before you start the job.  :cool:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I watched my son change Firty's fuel filter recently. He put a fair effort into making sure it was fully pumped before starting it and it ran perfectly.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
" I watched "   :lol: :lol
You mean "I watched like a ffcking hawk that he didn't scratch or dirty Firty "   :winker:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :lol:
Well, maybe a little, but I just wanted to help where I could. :D
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
" I watched "   :lol: :lol
You mean "I watched like a ffcking hawk that he didn't scratch or dirty Firty "   :winker:
I was thinking,  at least one of them knew what they were doing !  :mrgreen:, but then sometimes it pays to play things down, after all, who enjoys getting diesel on themselves :goodjob2: :snigger:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline NotaN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
With any CRD car I always cycle the ignition a few times to make sure the filter is full of fuel before starting

Currently undriveable.

No lift pump? How do they get fuel up to the high pressure pump?
  • I30 SR Premium PD

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Currently undriveable.

No lift pump? How do they get fuel up to the high pressure pump?

suction. the height from tank to primed HP pump does not impede flow. There is a primary tank pump in large vehicles such as the Tuscon and Santa Fe.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal