i30 Owners Club

Skipping windscreen wiper on new car

Offline SydneyPat

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi all. I've had my brand new i30 NLine for 3 weeks now and absolutely love this car. However, I used the windscreen wipers for the second time last week and within 5 minutes the lower half of the drivers side wiper was skipping/juddering (only) on the way up. I don't imagine there's an issue with the windshield being overly dirty given it was a 2 week old car that's garaged and the other wiper works fine. Plus the dodgy wiper has a new blade.

Has anyone experienced this on their new Hyundai and is there an easy way to fix this or adjust the blade angle?

Am I better off just getting the Hyundai dealer to look at it when I take it for the 1,500 km complimentary check up?

Thanks!
  • 2020 PD N Line 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6LT, Manual, Fluidic Metal

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Sure, raise it at the free check but be watchful they don't turn it into a purchase of new blades. I would try giving the glass (and blade) a really thorough clean. Being new doesn't mean there may not be some contaminant deposited during manufacture or shipping. After all, it did quite a few Ks getting to you.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Read the manual on how to make the blades rest vertical before you try to clean them....

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi again Pat,

That is odd? I'd definitely be inspecting them. Can be quite an annoying thing when the wipers do stuff like that.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
As mentioned give them and the window a good clean, some car wash waxes I find will make the blades judder.

Offline Ohthatsnasty

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Finally, I'm not the only one! I had the exact same issue with the drivers side blade stuttering and jumping about on the up stroke. I went through 6 different brands of wipers before settling on trico's fit hybrid blades (i'm actually the reason they recommend the fit hybrid on their websitefor the I30 PD, after indepth discussions with their customer support regarding the stuttering issue with the force and tech blades they sell). i actually forgot that it happened until i saw your post.
  • 2018, PD, 5 Door Hatch, G4FJ 1.6T, Auto, Blue

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
Normally, the shuddering indicates a worn wiper blade. I paid to have mine replaced at a service and despite being charged, they never did the work, so take a look and ensure that you really do have a new blade.

• i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline SydneyPat

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Finally, I'm not the only one! I had the exact same issue with the drivers side blade stuttering and jumping about on the up stroke. I went through 6 different brands of wipers before settling on trico's fit hybrid blades (i'm actually the reason they recommend the fit hybrid on their websitefor the I30 PD, after indepth discussions with their customer support regarding the stuttering issue with the force and tech blades they sell). i actually forgot that it happened until i saw your post.

Thanks for letting me know! That's reassuring to know you found a fix for it. Did the other 6 blades do the exact same thing just on the drivers side? I've just noticed it doesn't happen for the first few strokes of using it when the blade is dry. But after the blade has done a few swipes and wet enough it does it and gets slightly worse over time.

I had one set of blades on my subaru for years and this didn't happen once. I will check out those blades you mentioned!

Cheers!

Offline SydneyPat

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Normally, the shuddering indicates a worn wiper blade. I paid to have mine replaced at a service and despite being charged, they never did the work, so take a look and ensure that you really do have a new blade.

Thank you Keith - I will raise it with the dealership at my free first service. (That was my other concern in a different post - getting servicing done at the dealership and them not doing the job properly and completely)  :undecided:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal