The i30 Owners Club

HOW TO: UPGRADE YOUR GD-01/GD-02 TO A GD-03 HEAD UNIT STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE

VTH · 460 · 121436

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Correct, the base shape of the head unit fascia and aircon will not match.

Am I getting the head unit models correctly? Just did this quick comparison based on my search at eBay AU:

Tend to think that (3) would indeed fit. And (4) won't.
They look compatible in the pictures though its deceiving, the GD-03 is a slightly deeper in the lower fascia which will leave gaps on both sides where the stereo meets the aircon fascia.

You can see the height difference when looking at the GD-03 fitted in my car

Offline marcelo_pe

• 2nd Gear

• cl Chile
      Santiago
Here's a better picture of my head unit.

I want the GD-03 so bad, I'm tricking myself to just believe it will fit in my car.
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 1.8

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I want the GD-03 so bad, I'm tricking myself to just believe it will fit in my car.
If you're a crafty fellow you could make it fit, make something up to fill the gaps.

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stoke on Trent United kingdom
I’m fairly confident it will fit ok, as your head unit is exactly like mine was regardless of the air conditioning controls.

• I30 2013 GD 5 Door Hatchback Petrol 1.4 Manual Active

Offline marcelo_pe

• 2nd Gear

• cl Chile
      Santiago
I'm going to give this a go and will report my results here.

Cheers guys.
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 1.8

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm going to give this a go and will report my results here.

Cheers guys.
If StokeyBry has fitted one with the same setup as yours then you could be in luck, all the small variances between countries makes these mod's so confusing at times.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you :fingers:

Offline Teegan

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Anyone found somewhere that stocks just the USB (blue one) that works the Apple CarPlay? I’m sure mines dodgy and need to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hyundai i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Anyone found somewhere that stocks just the USB (blue one) that works the Apple CarPlay? I’m sure mines dodgy and need to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Replied to your msg.

Try running the update again before thinking about replacing components, it's unlikely a cable issue being the problem started after an update.

Offline Teegan

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Sorry I should’ve been more specific. It was becoming a real problem prior to the update it would happen more times then not, but since updating it has been continuous. I think I’ve managed to temporarily fix the lag 2 times but just happens the next time I turn my car off and on. The parts were from a wrecker but my phone and the actual screen are fast that’s why I’ve leant towards the cable connecting the two being an issue. I can’t find the actual part but found something that looks the same, do
 you think it would work?
  • Hyundai i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Sorry I should’ve been more specific. It was becoming a real problem prior to the update it would happen more times then not, but since updating it has been continuous. I think I’ve managed to temporarily fix the lag 2 times but just happens the next time I turn my car off and on. The parts were from a wrecker but my phone and the actual screen are fast that’s why I’ve leant towards the cable connecting the two being an issue.
Today is the first time in months that I've had a whole day out in the car listening to music via CarPlay and I was also getting a lot of lagging when trying to change songs via the touchscreen, must be a bug in the current Apple iOS 15.1 update.

Pulling the USB cable from the AUX module fixed it twice for me today.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal