i30 Owners Club

How to change headunit in i30 PD 5" to 8" OEM

ester90 · 54 · 20949

Offline Majcip

• 2nd Gear

• sk Slovakia
      Slovensko (SK)
Did you mount the camera into your car? Do I understand you correctly?

Im not quite sure what are you asking here.  :eek:
  • i30 Fastback (MY 2018 - PDe), 1.4 T-GDI

Offline oly2020

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      vrancea
Yes, I mounted the camera but I answered my colleague where to mount the wires from C CAN
  • hyundai i30 2019

Offline oly2020

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      vrancea
Howdy
I mounted the wires in the plug according to the diagram above, I bought the usb cable and Android car doesn't work. Tell me where I went wrong ....
  • hyundai i30 2019

Offline oly2020

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      vrancea
I solved it, it was the connection cable between the unit and the poor quality Aux / usb module. I replaced the cable and it works perfectly.
  • hyundai i30 2019

Offline Stromming

• 2nd Gear

• se Sweden
      Sweden
You can put out console by putting plastic screwdriver under the area in this picture and pull.
To remove the gear knob just push the button bellow knob and pull hard.

These instructions were super helpful! However, how the heck did you remove the USB socket from the plastic mount? I tried pushing and pulling in both directions while holding in the clips, and I was unable to actually remove it. This prevented me from replacing the USB socket with the new one :(
I ordered an adapter so I can get AUX working. This explains why so many functions are grayed out in the first picture

I assume Time/Date not working because I do not have the the GNSS cable as I thought that was for navigation and mine isn't a NAV model.
I'm assuming that something like this will work based on another reply I saw for this issue. I ordered one and should be here in 2-3 weeks with a bit of luck.
:link: 1pc FAKRA RNS E GPS Antenna for BMW Audi Mercedes NTG Comand APS Vauxhall Opel GPS Accessories|Aerials| - AliExpress,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

EDIT:
The new USB module came in a bracket of it's own and I was able to remove it from the bracket finally, which means it should be the same for the module stuck in the car.
Push in metal clips/tabs on both sides and push it out from the front. This is what I tried last night but it didn't work, however maybe I just need to brute force it more. I will try again later tonight.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 06:43:41 by Stromming »
  • 2018 Hyundai i30 Wagon 1.4 T-GDi

Offline Stromming

• 2nd Gear

• se Sweden
      Sweden
I can't get the module out of the bracket.
I'm pushing down the metal tabs and pushing it out towards the front, however it seems to be stuck in 3rd place I've highlighted with a circle. I'm scared of brute forcing even more than i have.

Offline shinr3x

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Bucharest
I had the same problem.
I inserted a small flat screwdriver in that place to get it over the third bracket. It was the hardest part of the entire process of changing the navigation.
Be gentle as to not the break the housing. It will take some tries but I am sure you will do it.

Unrelated to this:
I also have a Xiaomi phone, a Mi 9T (non-pro) and Android Auto wasn't working for me.
The problem was Dual Apps. If you're using that option you have to deactivate it: settings -> search dual apps -> cog top right -> something about disabling. You will then have to restart the phone and AA will work.

• i30 2017 1.4 T-GDi DCT7

Offline Stromming

• 2nd Gear

• se Sweden
      Sweden
I had the same problem.
I inserted a small flat screwdriver in that place to get it over the third bracket. It was the hardest part of the entire process of changing the navigation.
Be gentle as to not the break the housing. It will take some tries but I am sure you will do it.

Unrelated to this:
I also have a Xiaomi phone, a Mi 9T (non-pro) and Android Auto wasn't working for me.
The problem was Dual Apps. If you're using that option you have to deactivate it: settings -> search dual apps -> cog top right -> something about disabling. You will then have to restart the phone and AA will work.

There really is a third bracket at the top?😂 WHY HYUNDAI WHY

Offline shinr3x

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Bucharest
I mean the bit that you pointed at.
I'm not eve sure if it's a bracket, but it was clearly stuck there so I supposed it was a one and pushed it with the screwdriver.

Offline Stromming

• 2nd Gear

• se Sweden
      Sweden
Pushing it with a screwdriver doesn't seem to do anything

Thanks for the AA tip by the way!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:
Okay i finally got it!

I inserted a small screwdriver at the top from the front rather than the back, and then i pushed it gently down while creating a gap for the small plastic ridge to get through.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 06:08:51 by Stromming »

Offline shinr3x

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Bucharest
Awesome, glad to hear you managed to do it!

Offline Motobloc

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Rather than starting a new topic I thought I would keep the information together in this thread. I have a 2021 i30 PDe which had the 8" headunit with wireless Carplay/Android auto and I have just swapped it out for an 8" NAV model headunit from a 2019 PD car. It plugged in without modification and everything works aside from the fact it doesn't turn off when the car is turned off/the door is opened. Even after locking the car the headunit will stay on for a length of length of time before turning off. Does anyone know where the headunit gets the signal the door has been opened?
  • i30 PDe

Offline Rokkosa

• 1st Gear

• Warszawa
Hello. I want to replace my 5 unit with 8 navi. I do not have a rear view camera and I have a USB cable with a new plug. Do I have to cut any cables apart from the speed of the car?
  • Hyundai i30

Offline swiera

• 1st Gear

• PL
Hello
I changed 5 inches to 8 inches now it's time to add a rear view camera. I bought a universal one. I want to connect it like in the diagram. can someone confirm that it will be fine?

• i30

Offline oly2020

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      vrancea

Offline Locka

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex
good afternoon thanks for this very informative post.  I have  i30 2017 petrol 5door manual car with reversing camera and a 5" screen id like to upgrade this to 8" version (with or without sat nav) and use android auto.    Now I understand that besides changing the information unit i need to also change t usb socket plus cable in between and cables to the head unit it's self.  However I want to ask a couple of questions, which I'm not clear on: -

1)  Can the unit be changed without the need to cut any cables.  IE can I just by the adaptor to get the right pin configuration?  (I don't wish to cut wires)
2) Will it affect the controls on steering wheel?
3) Will my reversing camera still work?
4) Do i need the pin for unit if i by off eBay.  As if it ever got reset\wiped i guess i would need the code to use the unit corrrect?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 15:56:06 by Locka »
  • I30 2017 E T-GDI 2017 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1t, Manual, Red

Offline shinr3x

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Bucharest
Hello Locka,

1) Yes, you can change the head unit without cutting any wires. I used an adapter from Aliexpress that worked without a problem. They only mild inconvenience is that you need to connect the pins from one side to the other yourself. But there are schemas to help you.
This is the adapter: :link: 1Pc Car Stereo Radio 13pin+60pin Male/Female Plug Wire Harness Adapter For KIA K2/K3/K4/Elantra/Mistra/Tucson Wiring Connector|Cables, Adapters & Sockets| -

I for one also bought a GPS antenna with a fakra connector so the head unit will have GPS positioning. Only do this if you plan to buy a 8inch unit that also has GPS: :link: FEELDO Auto Fakra 3 Meters GPS Navigation Antenna Cable For BMW Volkswagen Golf MFD2 RNS510 RNS315 RNS2 Benz Car Accessory|Aerials| - AliExpress
You can tell whether a head unit has GPS by the  SD card slot at the bottom.
Also, if you plan to buy a head unit with GPS, you will also need to change the air grill. You can see the differences here: :link: i30 PD 2017 - infotainment: 5 inch to 8 inch

You can find the pinout here: :link: i30 PD 2017 - infotainment: 5 inch to 8 inch

The pins that need changing (from current cable to new head unit):
A Connector
3 - AUX & USB Jack (USB/IPOD GND) - NOTHING
4 - AUX & USB Jack (SPDIF USB D+) - NOTHING
5 - AUX & USB Jack (SPDIF USB D-) - NOTHING
6 - AUX & USB Jack (USB/IPOD VOD) - NOTHING
7 - Rear View Camera (Camera V/IN) - A7
21 - Rear View Camera (Camera V/GND) - A21
32 - Rear View Camera (Camera P/GND) - NOTHING
36 - Camera Detect : Ground (GM03) - NOTHING

B Connector
25 - Reverse - NOTHING

2) No, all steering wheel controls function as usual

3) Yes, the reversing camera will still work. It will in fact be better because the 8 inch head unit has better resolution, thus you can see things behind a lot better.

4) I bought one off of a wrecked car and there was no pin necessary. Maybe I was lucky but I'm pretty sure that it's just plug and play, no decoding necessary.

Offline Locka

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex
Hello Locka,

1) Yes, you can change the head unit without cutting any wires. I used an adapter from Aliexpress that worked without a problem. They only mild inconvenience is that you need to connect the pins from one side to the other yourself. But there are schemas to help you.
This is the adapter: :link: 1Pc Car Stereo Radio 13pin+60pin Male/Female Plug Wire Harness Adapter For KIA K2/K3/K4/Elantra/Mistra/Tucson Wiring Connector|Cables, Adapters & Sockets| -

I for one also bought a GPS antenna with a fakra connector so the head unit will have GPS positioning. Only do this if you plan to buy a 8inch unit that also has GPS: :link: FEELDO Auto Fakra 3 Meters GPS Navigation Antenna Cable For BMW Volkswagen Golf MFD2 RNS510 RNS315 RNS2 Benz Car Accessory|Aerials| - AliExpress
You can tell whether a head unit has GPS by the  SD card slot at the bottom.
Also, if you plan to buy a head unit with GPS, you will also need to change the air grill. You can see the differences here: :link: i30 PD 2017 - infotainment: 5 inch to 8 inch

You can find the pinout here: :link: i30 PD 2017 - infotainment: 5 inch to 8 inch

The pins that need changing (from current cable to new head unit):
A Connector
36 - Camera Detect : Ground (GM03) - NOTHING

B Connector
25 - Reverse - NOTHING

2) No, all steering wheel controls function as usual

3) Yes, the reversing camera will still work. It will in fact be better because the 8 inch head unit has better resolution, thus you can see things behind a lot better.

4) I bought one off of a wrecked car and there was no pin necessary. Maybe I was lucky but I'm pretty sure that it's just plug and play, no decoding necessary.

thanks for that, already seen one with air grill attached for £199. 

How easy it is to get old one off.  Is there a video or pictures how to change  it

Offline Locka

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex
Found this video online its in German but should help in the basic of getting to the information screen

https://n-cars.net/forums/threads/how-to-remove-infotainment-screen-and-fit-sub-woofer.4619/

Offline Locka

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex
Sorry I forgot to ask .  I assume from reading other post i need to by new usb socket and cable to allow android auto to work?

Offline shinr3x

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Bucharest
Yes, you will need a new USB Socket and the wire that connects the it to the head unit:
:link: Genuine authentic for HYUNDAI ELANTRA AD 2016 2017 USB IPOD AUX Jack Assembley OEM 96120F2010 96120 F2010| | - AliExpress
:link: FOR HYUNDAI Elantra TUCSON SONATA 2013 2018 USB Harness DA Screen Navigation Cable USB Socket Line Mobile Phone Interconnection|Interior Door Panels &

As for installation: i think it took me about 2 hours and I hadn't ever done something like that before.
The video looks very good, but you will also need to take out the entire piece at the bottom which holds both the USB Socket and the shifter. I have an automatic and the shifter came out by simply pulling up on it. For this I also recommend changing into Drive if you also have and auto or 2nd gear if you have a manual so you can pull the plastic piece.

Offline Locka

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex
Thanks for all your help i have a few last questions.  As Newby I've never done this before. I now have all the parts. However I'm a little confused with wiring loom.

• Which way should wires go long end in the end going to the new unit? 
  • How do i match wires up? I assume it's not just taking wire  3 and put it into 3 at the other end as they all seem to be same.

•   i also is first diagram for cable on left or the right

Sorry if these questions are little daft

Offline Locka

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex
Good morning everyone.  Still having a few issues have read a few forums but still a little confused.    so before i take dashboard apart again to re try and fit the screen.  I'm hoping for some further help
1) I'm lost about which cables need changing.

(The pins that need changing (from current cable to new head unit):
A Connector
36 - Camera Detect : Ground (GM03) - NOTHING)

some say nothing?  what does that mean?  (you put the pin one end and leave it dangling) 
Do i leave  all the other connections empty as looking at some other post on forums linked from here they show most being connected.

Any help would be much appreciated
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 10:10:31 by Locka »

Offline Locka

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex
Good morning everyone.  Still having a few issues have read a few forums but still a little confused.    so before i take dashboard apart again to re try and fit the screen.  I'm hoping for some further help
1) I'm lost about which cables need changing.

(The pins that need changing (from current cable to new head unit):
A Connector
36 - Camera Detect : Ground (GM03) - NOTHING)

some say nothing?  what does that mean?  (you put the pin one end and leave it dangling) 
Do i leave  all the other connections empty as looking at some other post on forums linked from here they show most being connected.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks guys  in the end i figured it out myself

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal