i30 Owners Club

Issues with my Mk2 1.6 CRDI (revs jumps for like 30 seconds)

Offline Brian5291

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester
Hi all, hope you’re safe and well, I need your help please, every time I start my i30 (from cold meaning engine being cold not driven for a while) I get issues where my revs jumps for like 30 seconds and if I give a little Rev everything gets back to normal? Did anyone had any similar issues with their diesels?
  • Hyundai i30 1.6 CDRI MK2

Offline Brian5291

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Hard to say just based on video. I was not able to catch glow plug light In the video. Was it off screen or had it shut down before the clip? I've experienced similar in -20C when I had broken glow plugs. Cold start issues and ruff idle with cold engine could be caused by bad glow plugs. After cylinder warms up a bit, it starts to run more smoothly. It seems you are not In sub zero temps, but when you say engine was cold, how cold it actually was?
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
The glow-plug warning light is just below the centre of the rev counter, so I think it turned off before the video clip started. It only comes on for 2-3 seconds after turning the ignition switch on.
  • i30 CRD

Offline Brian5291

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester
Yes I’ve started recording just a second after going away the light, so basically when I switch on the car every time the engine is cold it sounds rough and revs bounces like on the video. Does anyone know if is hard to replace the glow plugs?
  • Hyundai i30 1.6 CDRI MK2

Offline Richo123

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane Queensland
Sounds and behaves exactly like my I30 did. it’s missing on at least one cylinder, until you rev it or it warms up enough.
Mine behaved like this first start of the day on cold mornings.
You might have one or more failed glow plugs. @210000
Km mine had four failed glow plugs. After replacing them it’s now starting awesomely every time.
  • 2013 GD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel, 1.6lt, Manual, 6spd, Red

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal