i30 Owners Club

2012 GD i30 1.6 CRDI - Temperature gauge fluctuations

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!
My 2012 GD i30 1.6 CRDI is going pretty strong after almost 9yrs of ownership, but I've recently noticed the digital engine temperature gauge fluctuating while driving on my route to/from work/home.
The gauge will be roughly in the middle (normal operating temp), but then suddenly drop down to 0, hang about that level, then return to normal. It will be fine for a short while (a few minutes), then repeat the process.
Occasionally the temp will spike up to the max high temp, hang about for a few moments, then drop back down to normal operating temp. This high temp spike happens infrequently on the journey, while the dip to low temp happens more frequently on the journey.

Of course, taking it to the dealer for service and mentioned the issue, and they couldn't find anything in their usual "debugging" process, and the issue wasn't presenting whilst at the dealer.

Research shows this could be a faulty sensor, faulty thermostat, or possible slow coolant leak (unlikely but obviously can't rule it out).

Curious if anyone else has had similar issues with theirs and what the resolution was?
  • i30 Premium 2012 1.6l Diesel

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal