i30 Owners Club

Car electric messed up, help needed please

aullah · 10 · 9979

Offline aullah

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Lancashire
Hi guys,

I’m just outside at the moment. I’ve been replacing all the interior lights to LEDs (simple enough). However one of the LEDs were too big, I forced it in and seen the slightest spark. This turned all my interior lights off and now the car won’t lock using the central locking on the key.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I’ve taken a quick look at the car’s interior fuse box and they seem fine.

I have the FD, 1.4 Petrol.

Not great that I’m doing this on a cold night. At least it’s not raining. 😊

Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 23:18:20 by aullah »
  • Hyundai i30 (FD)

Offline aullah

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Lancashire
I’ve just disconnected the battery for 10 mins and reconnected and it is still not resolved.

I’ve started the car up and it shows that my rear boot door is open (which it is not) and that ESP is off.

If anyone has any knowledge, it would be greatly appreciated. I’ll keep updating this thread. Thanks guys.
  • Hyundai i30 (FD)

Offline aullah

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Lancashire
Fixed!! Thank goodness.

The 15A ROOM LP fuse had blown. I replaced it and it fixed my interior lights, the rear boot lid open warning and also the remote central locking.

The ESP off turned off after driving for a while (this one was most likely due to the battery being taken off).
  • Hyundai i30 (FD)

Offline aullah

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Lancashire
Hi guys, does anyone know anything about the power windows? My rear ones don’t seem to work anymore (and one of them is slightly down).

Totally messed up tonight by trying to fit in all LED interior lights. I need to order more which are correct size next time.
  • Hyundai i30 (FD)

swedishnutlathe
You've probably blown more than one fuse - I suspect when you've forced the bulbs in, you've shorted it.

Check all the relevant fuses properly with a multimeter if you can.

Offline aullah

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Lancashire
It's all sorted now. 😊

I did try placing the LED bulb in again today (not even forcefully) and it still shorted the new fuse. The LED is too wide (13mm) so it doesn't fit in well, so I've ordered some more LEDs from Amazon which are 8.8mm in width. Both are still 31mm in length.

Hopefully they'll be much better.
  • Hyundai i30 (FD)

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Body Control Module is behind that 15A fuse. BCM controls interior lights, remote key and if I remember correctly also windows. I burned the fuse also after I changed Led bulb to trunk. Learnt my lesson and went back to normal bulbs.

Some cars need teaching for electric window positions after power loss, but can't remember if i30 needs it. I've never had any issues after removing battery several times.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline aullah

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Lancashire
Thank you very much for your insightful response sundiz. Yeah when the fuse blown, even my heater settings were reset; after clicking a few options and driving around, it went back to normal.

I was replacing the interior lights at night time (after work and gym) and I park on the main road, so I was under pressure to fix it the same night so I don't leave my car doors unlocked overnight. Thankfully we got to the bottom of it. 😊

I had ordered new LEDs which were smaller in width but still 31mm in length. I disconnected the battery last night and fitted them in, and all seems well. Getting the passenger vanity light in was difficult, mainly because the LED lights are curved on the tips, whereas the halogen ones are sharper, so they hold into position on the light socket. I'll get some photos tonight.

All my interior lights are now LEDs, except for the ash tray. I'm still figuring out how to remove that, I've seen some threads on here but still not certain on how to remove it.
  • Hyundai i30 (FD)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I can suggest your next project if you don't have anything similar already: USB sockets for your phones, between the 12V sockets. I cut two slots and mounted two 5V3A sockets behind them, powered by the rear connectors of a 12V socket. They now run a charging pad and a charging cradle.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Endeavor

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      BC
I did something very similar to my other car.  It was ordeal as i had to replace the so called "dealer" fuses, encased in a plastic housing.
It leaves only basic car functions  nothing  else.

For the  USBs i bought a 2xusb that connects
directly in the  lighter socket. And blue too just like the dash 
Funny story .. i have never ever used them.
  • 2012 Elantra Touring FD 2.0 Auto

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal