i30 Owners Club

it is 2021, is it time to replace halogen with LEDs?

Offline Endeavor

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      BC
Hi i30 owners ,
I have a 2012 FD and was thinking if someone has a good/bad experience with replacing their headlight bulbs with LED ones?
It was a while since i put an HID kit in my previous car , and wanted to see if these are worth / fit well and work well as a straight replacement of the bulbs only.
The headlight has DRL, High and Low beam bulbs, (i am not really worried about the turn signal, but why not).
I am pretty sure i still have the OEMs in it, and after 10 years .. i am sure they are a bit tired.
My main concern is : any quirks switching to these in terms of performance, impact on the electrical system/ fitment in the original housing..

Thanks for sharing your experience.

• 2012 Elantra Touring FD 2.0 Auto

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
With the exception of the main and high beams, all lighting in my FD is LED.
Simple substitution with the right amount of lumens is easy with all the discrete lamps.
The big change with going to LED is a much reduced current and heat problem.
To compensate for such a low consumption, turn signal LEDs often come with 6 Ohm 5W resistors in parallel as a ballast load.
Instead of using these and losing all the current and heat advantage, I cut them off and replaced the flasher with a cheap electronic version to avoid 'racing' or 'hyperflashing'.
For the turn signals, I took the opportunity to create DRLs at the same time.
:link: 1Pair Dual Color 42LED BAU15S 2835 Switchback LED DRL Turn Signal Light Kit Auto Car Lamps High Quality C45|car light|lamp lamplamp led - AliExpress

I don't think I need to consider replacing the main or high beams.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland

Offline Endeavor

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      BC
Thank you,  The Gonz and BrendonL for the information.
Much appreciated. 
As i was thinking to replace the low beam .. of course just noticed one of my DRLs is "gone" . I will update you where i ended up on the light front.

I checked the price on these .. WOW $250 AU dollars for  a pair of these?
Is it really worth it ? If this is vastly improving the visibility ?

For whatever reason the bulbs in my FD are H1 (high) and H11 (for low).. ( according to the manual not visual check),

« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 21:28:25 by Endeavor »
  • 2012 Elantra Touring FD 2.0 Auto

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
the h7 ones i linked are AU $119 - $141 depending on who you buy from the h11 are AU $125 - $141 again depending on who you buy from.

i felt they where definitely worth the upgrade over the standard halogen bulbs. i find the projectors give much better light throw vs my old car which had h4 leds.
  • 2019 i30 go, manual, white

Offline DroidPie

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I was desperate to change all my GD OEM lights to LEDs and then spent time for research regarding the bulb types, also spoke to people who told replacing with LEDs would knock of the cruise control. It was really stressful. I approached Blingwork Automotive Lighting, Clayton South, Melbourne VIC. They quoted $770 to change ever single bulb on the car (Interior, Visor, Rear map, boot, rear number plate, front fog, front high & low, parkers, front indicators, rear indicators, rear brake, reverse), I don't think that's a rip off with installation and 2 year free replacement included.
  • 2015 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol1.8lt, Auto, White

Offline Ratmick

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Macedon Ranges, VIC
I have a PD.4 NLine with LED low/high beams and in all honesty wish I'd not bothered.

They're not bright enough in a rural area on high beam and the low beam has such a sharp cut-off at the top of the spread they're dangerous.

It's just a matter of time before I hit a kangaroo, hard (I live in a 100kmh zone).

I really need driving lights but there is nowhere to mount them...
  • 2021 PD.4 5 Door N-Line Hatch, Petrol 1.6l Turbo, 6sp Manual, Fluidic Metal

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I really need driving lights but there is nowhere to mount them...
@Ratmick, I've seen examples of driving lights being mounted inside behind the grille.
That may be your only option if not on a solidly mounted light bar.

Offline Ratmick

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Macedon Ranges, VIC
There's multiple issues at play here.

Firstly Hyundai Australia and my Dealer are a pack of bastards and have told me that I will invalidate the warranty if I:
  • Drill holes in the crash bar (my preferred option) or
  • Modify the electrics to accomodate driving lights.
Secondly there is a radar unit behind the Hyundai badge on the front grille so anywhere near that is out of bounds.

Lastly I don't think the plastic grille is capable of holding driving lights or a light bar indefinitely without cracking and failing after being bounced around on our crappy roads and my 250m long dirt non-maintained public road that is mostly potholes.

There aren't any pre-drilled holes on the crashbar that I can use and there's no mounting places that aren't plastic...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 12:03:43 by Ratmick »

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
Is it if you yourself modify the electrics or a qualified aftermarket parts installer does?

Offline Ratmick

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Macedon Ranges, VIC
Is it if you yourself modify the electrics or a qualified aftermarket parts installer does?
I hail from an electronics background (ex-Army Electronics Tech) so would baulk somewhat at paying someone 'qualified', not only because I can do the job myself, mainly I can also do it neater as it's my car.

The car had it's first proper service yesterday (I have only done 8000km but it's been nearly 12 months), I asked the Dealer to check the lights as they're not adjustable from under the bonnet and seem to be aimed at the road. It appears they need to be 'calibrated' by a Hyundai tech and I was told 'they were within ADR specs' and didn't touch them.

As it is the last 12 months driving at night I need to slow down to 60km/h when on low beam as there isn't enough throw to offer a safe stopping distance at 100km/h, and we've already hit three kangaroos this year.

* My partner's Mazda2
* The hire car while her Mazda2 was in getting repaired
* The Mazda2 again about a month later.

Given the attitude of Hyundai and the dealer this car may be my first and last Hyundai unless I opt for a Tucson or a Kona where they offer a nudge bar.

I wouldn't buy a Mazda2 again either, 2x 55/60W H4 headlights isn't enough.

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
Most people wont have the background you do which is probly why they say warrnty void if you do your own wiring.

Regarding the mazda 2 headlights and LED conversion could fix the poor halogens.

Offline Ratmick

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Macedon Ranges, VIC
* The Mazda2 again about a month later.

Given the attitude of Hyundai and the dealer this car may be my first and last Hyundai unless I opt for a Tucson or a Kona where they offer a nudge bar.
My better half has just started working again after 3 months off recuperating after surgery...

...just bought her these: http://www.stedi.com.au/copper-head-h4-led-head-light-conversion-kit.html

...doesn't fix my issue though  :D

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
Would you consider mounting a lightbar under the number plate? If your able to just drill 2 holes into the bumper and angle it upwards a bit not needing to drill holes in the crash bar. Then just wire it to constant power no need to wire into the stock wiring then run the switch into the cab.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I had a pair of LED light bars mounted on the underside of a plate mounted nudge bar for a few weeks, with the plate visible immediately under them. Nice look but the plastic fascia was no place for what should be a vibration-free beam.
It will need the support of the metal frame.

Offline Ratmick

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Macedon Ranges, VIC
I had a pair of LED light bars mounted on the underside of a plate mounted nudge bar for a few weeks, with the plate visible immediately under them. Nice look but the plastic fascia was no place for what should be a vibration-free beam.
It will need the support of the metal frame.

Yeah that's the issue.

I could really use a wrecked i30 and I'd use the crashbar off this to fabricate something to fit around and clamps to it that doesn't involve drilling...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 11:00:31 by Ratmick »

Offline general2460

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Grafton NSW
Ive replaced mine with STEDI LED lights - wow what a difference. No change in light spread so other drivers aren't blinded, but just brighter and whiter. Highly recommended.

STEDI LED Headlight Conversion

cheers
  • 2015 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.8L, Auto, White

Offline Ratmick

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Macedon Ranges, VIC
Ive replaced mine with STEDI LED lights - wow what a difference. No change in light spread so other drivers aren't blinded, but just brighter and whiter. Highly recommended.

STEDI LED Headlight Conversion

cheers
I bought a pair for my missus' Mazda2 alas they haven't arrived yet.

My daughter is looking at a MY21 PD.V4 i30 (the base model) on the weekend, will see what the stock halogens are like compared to the crap LED units...

I did have a dealer rep ring me on Monday after I bleated about the lights (again) and tell me to go to SuperCheap and buy some new globes. I did try and explain the N.Line had sealed LED headlights units but he clearly had NFI.

...which I find irritating.

Offline Ratmick

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Macedon Ranges, VIC
The STEDI LED H4 replacements arrived today for my missus' Mazda2....

...and were fitted this evening (fwiw Driver's side was fine, the Passenger side was a bit of a struggle).

Took the car for a short drive after dusk and it definitely seems brighter and very white (I had Osram Night Breakers in there).

She works tomorrow, will see how she goes on the way home from her afternoon shift...

In other news my daughter liked the base model i30 PD.V4 and picks hers up Christmas Eve...

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal