The i30 Owners Club

it is 2021, is it time to replace halogen with LEDs?

Offline Endeavor

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      BC
Hi i30 owners ,
I have a 2012 FD and was thinking if someone has a good/bad experience with replacing their headlight bulbs with LED ones?
It was a while since i put an HID kit in my previous car , and wanted to see if these are worth / fit well and work well as a straight replacement of the bulbs only.
The headlight has DRL, High and Low beam bulbs, (i am not really worried about the turn signal, but why not).
I am pretty sure i still have the OEMs in it, and after 10 years .. i am sure they are a bit tired.
My main concern is : any quirks switching to these in terms of performance, impact on the electrical system/ fitment in the original housing..

Thanks for sharing your experience.

• 2012 Elantra Touring FD 2.0 Auto

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
With the exception of the main and high beams, all lighting in my FD is LED.
Simple substitution with the right amount of lumens is easy with all the discrete lamps.
The big change with going to LED is a much reduced current and heat problem.
To compensate for such a low consumption, turn signal LEDs often come with 6 Ohm 5W resistors in parallel as a ballast load.
Instead of using these and losing all the current and heat advantage, I cut them off and replaced the flasher with a cheap electronic version to avoid 'racing' or 'hyperflashing'.
For the turn signals, I took the opportunity to create DRLs at the same time.
:link: 1Pair Dual Color 42LED BAU15S 2835 Switchback LED DRL Turn Signal Light Kit Auto Car Lamps High Quality C45|car light|lamp lamplamp led - AliExpress

I don't think I need to consider replacing the main or high beams.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland

Offline Endeavor

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      BC
Thank you,  The Gonz and BrendonL for the information.
Much appreciated. 
As i was thinking to replace the low beam .. of course just noticed one of my DRLs is "gone" . I will update you where i ended up on the light front.

I checked the price on these .. WOW $250 AU dollars for  a pair of these?
Is it really worth it ? If this is vastly improving the visibility ?

For whatever reason the bulbs in my FD are H1 (high) and H11 (for low).. ( according to the manual not visual check),

« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 16:28:25 by Endeavor »
  • 2012 Elantra Touring FD 2.0 Auto

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
the h7 ones i linked are AU $119 - $141 depending on who you buy from the h11 are AU $125 - $141 again depending on who you buy from.

i felt they where definitely worth the upgrade over the standard halogen bulbs. i find the projectors give much better light throw vs my old car which had h4 leds.
  • 2019 i30 go

Offline DroidPie

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I was desperate to change all my GD OEM lights to LEDs and then spent time for research regarding the bulb types, also spoke to people who told replacing with LEDs would knock of the cruise control. It was really stressful. I approached Blingwork Automotive Lighting, Clayton South, Melbourne VIC. They quoted $770 to change ever single bulb on the car (Interior, Visor, Rear map, boot, rear number plate, front fog, front high & low, parkers, front indicators, rear indicators, rear brake, reverse), I don't think that's a rip off with installation and 2 year free replacement included.
  • i30 ActiveX GD 2015

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal