i30 Owners Club

First Time Buying New Tires. Best Brand & Value ???

Offline DarraghR

• 2nd Gear

• ie Ireland, Republic of
      Co. Dublin
The treads on two front tires of my 1.4 i30 2010 are looking bad so I need to buy a pair of new ones soon. After doing some research the total is averaging at around €150 with fitting and balancing.

What brands should I go with that are the best value?

Below is a quote from a well known tire fitters in Ireland

Grenlander - €61.50,

Event - €73.50,

Hankook - €82,

Pirelli - €92 per tyre.

These prices include fitting, balancing, new valves, disposal and VAT.

In the past I have bought second hand but its not really worth it based on the safety and price difference.
  • Hyundai i30 1.4 2010

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Mate,

If you were buying four my first question would be what qualities are you looking for (quietness, long wearing, performance etc..) But, with only two other things come into play.

How much tread on the other two, what brand? If there is quite a bit of tread left, I'd try and find  a brand and tread pattern that is similar. I personally don't like mixing tyres, usually get them rotated so I can replace all four at once.

I won't buy a cheap and nasty brand. I don't mean Hankooks or kumho when I say that, I consider them mid range and they can be good value at times.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
When I changed the tyres on my 2015 car I fitted Michelin Cross Climate all round, as I had to travel into the highlands of Scotland for a job. They seemed to work pretty well for grip in icy conditions, but I don't know if that's an issue where you live. They also give a quiet and comfortable ride.

On my previous car which was a 2011 model, the original Hankook tyres lasted well, and I've found the Goodyear Excellent Grip Performance to be pretty good. I also fitted some Hankook Ventus Prime 3, but I found that the rear ones created a droning noise, which I put down to rear shock absorbers. This seemed to cure the noise but the tyres did become stepped on the inner edge and after about 40,000 miles the inner blocks of tread had worn away completely. I thought this might be due to a tracking error but having replaced them with Goodyears, they shown no signs of uneven wear after over 10,000 miles.

It's worth searching local dealer prices on-line, you can usually find someone that is doing them for £10/tyre cheaper than everyone else. I paid £93-68 for a pair of Goodyears last September (205/55/R16). The Michelin Cross climates were £253.48 for 4, (195/65/R15)
  • i30 CRD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal