i30 Owners Club

tohis's Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports

tohis · 7 · 1879

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
After 15 years of being elsewhere, I returned to having a Toyota again. Truth to be told, without the hybrid option it wouldn't have been my choice. My former plans about the PD i30 eventually dried up when my mind went into hybrid, and thoughts about an Ioniq or a used Lexus CT were also short lived. I wasn't in a hurry to get rid of my i30, but then I found this almost new Auris, driven 5000 km, with a price of +4000 EUR less than a brand new one with all needed accessories. There must be a catch: it wasn't the newest MY version, but at least I knew it beforehand and it was still a bargain.

To our non-European readers: At here, since 2006 Corolla's hatchback version has been sold as Auris, and the wagon version was discontinued at then. In 2013, shortly after the new generation of Auris was introduced, the wagon made a comeback as Auris Touring Sports. While still being similar to Corolla, the front section of them is not identical and there are some other differences as well.

I have now driven 350 km with it and getting used to it quite nicely. At first the steering felt clearly worse than in the i30, but it's not so bad after all. If it only had that adjustable power steering like in GD, I would set it heavier than it is now. There are also many smaller details where Toyota isn't on par with competitors, for example that digital clock and seat heater switches are practically time traveling to the nineties! The tyre noise in our rough roads isn't so bad than in the i30, or at least the tone of it isn't as disturbing.

The hybrid powertrain (the same as in the 3rd gen. Prius) is really THE thing in this car. While I don't think myself as a Green hippie, low fuel consumption (and therefore low taxes) is always a good thing, and low emissions ain't a problem either. The stepless e-CVT transmission is technically an astonishingly simple and ingenious system once you get figured out of how it works, and on top of that it's also very pleasant to drive. Some car enthusiasts may bash it as being a gutless rubberband drive, but it's not meant to be a sports car anyway. The 1.8-liter Atkinson-cycle petrol engine produces only about 100 hp, but with the assist of the electric motor it's not too slow. Actually in city driving it accelerates pretty fast with the electric motor's torque. Only when going over 120 km/h the electric motor goes out of its optimal RPM and acceleration is much slower then.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 18:30:54 by tohis »
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Excellent tohis, thanks for the write-up :goodjob:

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Awesome. Thanks for that report.

I just bought a new car today in a similar colour (see separate thread) :happydance:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Many k's of carefree motoring
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
I got the rear windows tinted, and can say the guy my workmate recommended did a great job!  :goodjob: From the outside you can't tell apart from a factory tint. I asked him if it's possible to cut the foil so the third brake light inside the rear window would remain fully visible, and that was also done nicely. The foil in rear door windows will not get scratched anytime soon either, because I seldom have any passengers in rear seats anyway so there's not much need to open and close those windows.

---
I found a great webpage which shows how the Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive works.
:link: Toyota Prius - Power Split Device

This video is also very entertaining for that matter:
:link: Toyota Hybrid System - YouTube
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 18:29:11 by tohis »
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
^ splendid video :goodjob:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld