i30 Owners Club

2018 i30cw PD: switching out the RDE radio for the Navi

Offline esotice

• 1st Gear

• de Germany
      Bavaria
Hey guys, I recently bought an i30cw with the normal RDE radio with little non-touch 5" screen. I found a replacement for it, the OEM radio with the larger 8" touch screen. The block connectors seem to the same, but I know I will be missing the GPS antenna cables, and maybe some other cables. I am hoping to get this to work without having to buy a separate GPS module and antenna, since my iPhone has GPS anyway. I would like to use Apple CarPlay.

I do not know if this will work however. The guy I bought it from wanted to use it for AndroidAuto, and that didn't work. He thinks it is because the radio requires the GPS antenna for AndroidAuto to work.

Has anyone had any experience doing this?

Thanks,

Tom
  • 2018 PD Estate/Kombi 1.0 Turbo

Offline jacky580

• 1st Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium, Antwerp
Hii,

It's possible! I replaced my OEM non-touch 5" radio with the Larger one last weekend and so far the only thing that doesn't work is the microphone (My old radio didn't have bluetooth) and the clock (sets itself with the GPS antenna, waiting for the antenna's to be delivered).
You'll need to order an extra GPS antenna and a DAB antenna (if your radio supports it) for the navigation and dab to work.
When replacing you also need to change some cables in the block connector:
-Vehicle speed from B18 to A38
-USB Port from block A3, A4, A5 and A6 to the separate USB connector.

• 2017 PD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6 70kw, Manual

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal