i30 Owners Club

Let's talk about Fuel Saving

mik3yy · 18 · 6045

Offline mik3yy

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
I've been reading lots of articles on how to save fuel, since it seems like I do really spend on fuel now, maybe because I do rev a lot, coz I really love going fast.
According to this blog article, :link: Quick fuel saving tips from experienced driver ? Car Tuning News | Auto News , "Experienced Driver"? It really use more fuel when speeding up, maybe I should learn
to slow a bit, haha. How about you mates? How do you save on fuel aside from "not using it"?? LOL  :rofl:
  • Hyundai i30 Turbo

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
It's all about common sense really. How often have you been passed by a leadfoot only to catch up with them 30 minutes later stuck behind a truck or something. After playing the fuel saving game with a diesel and two hybrids I can keep my Holden Calais and Trish's Tourer very close to official ADR figures. It is all about accelerating smoothly and reading the traffic and lights. Just let the car ease up to the lights and if you are lucky you might not even have to stop. Something I do is don't start the car when pulling out of a car space until I see a break in the traffic coming. I'm not fanatical though, I am not frightened to use  the air con if needed or get too stressed about carting excess weight in the car.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
 :whsaid:

Not driving like an fn idiot will save fuel :spitty: :D

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

So you spend lots then, Craig?   :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Mine was so good on fuel I had to do mods to make it use more :D

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Mine was so good on fuel I had to do mods to make it use more :D

:lol:   :goodjob2:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Keep tyres at the correct pressure. When possible, travel below 80 kmh 50 mph, as this reduces wind resistance which is NOT linear relative to speed. Keep engine well serviced. Anticipate traffic flow and avoid stopping if possible. It takes more energy to start a car  moving than it does to accelerate whilst still moving. I'm sure there are more.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Be a passenger in someone else's car.   :neutral:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
you all probably spend more on food than fuel if you have a CRDi
so carrying all that excess weight from eating uses more fuel  :whistler:

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
Break pedal is probably the worst offender. Every time you touch it, it converts your hard bought fuel directly into friction heat in the rotors, which the wind then carries away(so you don't even get to feel it on a cold day).

Otherwise I guess its about what the others say, plan your drive and look ahead and read traffic, usually saves you from braking, and you can lift off the accelerator in time and let the car "engine break" on 6th, while doing this it won't consume fuel at all. And its a great sport trying to get all the way to the parking spot at work with no more use of the break pedal than a quick dab to activate cruise control and the final standstill. Maybe not very good goal in an urban setting though. :)

On engine breaking, its very useful for slowing down into intersections/roundabouts/downhill etc too, using the momentum of the car to turn the engine.

I don't know how sustained high speed affects the I30 yet, have my first long motorway trip planned for next week with a lot of 120kph roads, around where I live its mostly 80kph highways.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline mik3yy

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Awesome insights and tips, mates! Wiil take note of those stuff. Some of the replies made me laugh also..  :rofl:
  • Hyundai i30 Turbo

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I don't know how sustained high speed affects the I30 yet, have my first long motorway trip planned for next week with a lot of 120kph roads, around where I live its mostly 80kph highways.

The i30 has a very good co-efficient of friction by design. You should get very good economy.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
I don't worry how much fuel I use. I just let the Mrs pay when I am at the petrol bowser. :)
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia

The i30 has a very good co-efficient of friction by design. You should get very good economy.

Not if you are driving the six speed auto- petrol model.....

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
That won't change the co-efficient of friction.  :)

The 6 sp auto returns what it returns.  :exclaim:

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
That won't change the co-efficient of friction.  :)

The 6 sp auto returns what it returns.  :exclaim:

Yep!...not much....

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden

A little late, but I'm back and just filled the tank this morning after the above trip. I got 4.62l/100km out of it. 500km Motorway and 600km Highway. I can't say I drove carefully regarding to economy either(first time with the I30 on proper motorways, lets just say my curiosity had to know how the I30 handled at high speed  :whistler:, I like it  :victory:).
(For the record I seem to be doing 4.1l/100km commuting)
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
For the record I seem to be doing 4.1l/100km commuting)
4.1 is Firty's figure as well. :happydance:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal