i30 Owners Club

What coil springs are fitted to my FD ?

Offline gurninman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I'm in the UK , and have a 2010 1.6CRDi wagon
Looking at the VIN, it's a 2011 model year version , built in the Czech republic. Using this , I ordered a set of front struts and coil springs (all KYB)
Unfortunately , the coil springs are never going to fit the struts - the diameter is far too small. LOoking at the KYB catalogue , there are two front spring specs - one for Korean-spec cars , another for Czech-spec cars. Looks like I'll need the Korean-spec ones , even though the car was built in the Czech republic. Is this common with these ? I know the Czech plant was new then , has anyone else come across mixing and matching of components ?

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I'm in the UK , and have a 2010 1.6CRDi wagon
Looking at the VIN, it's a 2011 model year version , built in the Czech republic. Using this , I ordered a set of front struts and coil springs (all KYB)
Unfortunately , the coil springs are never going to fit the struts - the diameter is far too small. LOoking at the KYB catalogue , there are two front spring specs - one for Korean-spec cars , another for Czech-spec cars. Looks like I'll need the Korean-spec ones , even though the car was built in the Czech republic. Is this common with these ? I know the Czech plant was new then , has anyone else come across mixing and matching of components ?

I have a feeling someone else has posted a similar issue.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Offline gurninman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Thanks - I searched for coils springs , so didn't see that
I've also bought KYB ones, think I'd better whip one of the old ones off and look for part numbers

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Thanks - I searched for coils springs , so didn't see that
I've also bought KYB ones, think I'd better whip one of the old ones off and look for part numbers

You should not have to rip it out to get the numbers. maybe a wheel off would do. will be stamped on the outer casing or VIN entered into ilcats should identify .

Offline gurninman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Had to come off to replace the broken spring anyway
I now know that the correct  struts are 54650-2R600 , Sachs equivalent is 314 010
The KYB catalogue seems to be wrong, so the struts are going back

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Had to come off to replace the broken spring anyway
I now know that the correct  struts are 54650-2R600 , Sachs equivalent is 314 010
The KYB catalogue seems to be wrong, so the struts are going back

May be a good idea to add your location to your profile in case you need further help at some stage (many things are location specific) City or even Country will do.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal