i30 Owners Club

2017 i30sr starting problem

Liisa · 322 · 99482

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
At first I thought it 'sounded' like lack of fuel, until the first video came in, from there on it has been a software failure in my books.

Thankyou powermad, it is a bit faint, but get the picture. Motor is 'idling' at half normal revs, immobiliser hasn't completely dropped out and MIL is indicating a fault.
Its not mechanical, certain to be a software issue.
Have you confronted the dealer yet?

Note that the above was  made mid February.

Nevertheless, the dealers and Hyundai HQ buggerised around, lied and fobbed owners off . Recently, the 'talent' at HQ technical department came up with faulty injectors :rolleyes:
I also agree that a mere  "15 clients" is farcical.
The performance of Hyundai's management has been pitiful and appears to exemplify the type of overblown Corporation that is populated by time wasters and incompetents. Their performance has been akin to the performance of our political parties.
 Lets see what other games they will play including attempts to avoid blame and compensation.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
At first I thought it 'sounded' like lack of fuel, until the first video came in, from there on it has been a software failure in my books.

Thankyou powermad, it is a bit faint, but get the picture. Motor is 'idling' at half normal revs, immobiliser hasn't completely dropped out and MIL is indicating a fault.
Its not mechanical, certain to be a software issue.
Have you confronted the dealer yet?

Note that the above was  made mid February.

Nevertheless, the dealers and Hyundai HQ buggerised around, lied and fobbed owners off . Recently, the 'talent' at HQ technical department came up with faulty injectors :rolleyes:
I also agree that a mere  "15 clients" is farcical.
The performance of Hyundai's management has been pitiful and appears to exemplify the type of overblown Corporation that is populated by time wasters and incompetents. Their performance has been akin to the performance of our political parties.
 Lets see what other games they will play including attempts to avoid blame and compensation.

To borrow a line from Blazing Saddles...
"Now who can argue with that......!"
Agree with you 100%.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 08:10:41 by Paolo5 »

Offline Beardyboy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
UPDATE 16/8/18- i30 SR DCT PD2

Fuel injectors replaced as per the Hyundai Australia request. I asked the Dealer to also look at the Throttle Position Sensor and Engine idle air control valve... but Hyundai hadn't given authority for anything other than the injectors ...hmmm

The d-logger remains attached...so far, i cant feel any difference to the ride/performance although i have noticed that the cooling fan has kicked in where is hadn't previously.....on the paperwork they had replaced 5L of coolant though?!?
  • Formerly a 2018 PD2 SR DCT, White (Lemon)

Offline rjl

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
UPDATE 16/8/18- i30 SR DCT PD2

Fuel injectors replaced as per the Hyundai Australia request. I asked the Dealer to also look at the Throttle Position Sensor and Engine idle air control valve... but Hyundai hadn't given authority for anything other than the injectors ...hmmm

The d-logger remains attached...so far, i cant feel any difference to the ride/performance although i have noticed that the cooling fan has kicked in where is hadn't previously.....on the paperwork they had replaced 5L of coolant though?!?

Hi Mate how has your car been since the injector swap any starting issues? I'm still hoping on that upcoming software update. Hope it comes out soon.
  • 2018 PD2 Hyundai I30 SR Premium

Offline Beardyboy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi

Injectors replaced just about 2 weeks ago and I haven’t been able to replicate the starting issue since.

D-logger goes back to the dealer tomorrow.

I’m reluctant to say the car is “ fixed” just yet, but so far, so good.

I must admit that it helped my case that  the Alto Hyundai service team in Lane Cove West managed to replicate the fault.

Disappointingly Hyundai really don’t give a stuff and so you really have to push and push to get anything done.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi

Injectors replaced just about 2 weeks ago and I haven’t been able to replicate the starting issue since.

D-logger goes back to the dealer tomorrow.

I’m reluctant to say the car is “ fixed” just yet, but so far, so good.

I must admit that it helped my case that  the Alto Hyundai service team in Lane Cove West managed to replicate the fault.

Disappointingly Hyundai really don’t give a stuff and so you really have to push and push to get anything done.

Thanks for the update. I can understand your feelings and disappointment.

It could certainly have been handles a lot better.

I think these threads on our forum are good to have as long term support for anyone who gets the issue in years to come outside the warranty period.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Beardyboy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

It has been pointed out to Hyundai that the d-logger shuts down during ignition.   Yet they continue to play the obstructionist rather than the constructivist.  :crazy1:

Yes it does shut down because the recording part of the d-logger is plugged into the 12v socket...that powers off during the start of the ignition....then it needs to sync with the ODBC unit when it comes back to life. When mine was fitted, I moved the recorder part to a lithium battery socket that I use for the dash cam so it wasn't affected by the ignition process.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

It has been pointed out to Hyundai that the d-logger shuts down during ignition.   Yet they continue to play the obstructionist rather than the constructivist.  :crazy1:

Yes it does shut down because the recording part of the d-logger is plugged into the 12v socket...that powers off during the start of the ignition....then it needs to sync with the ODBC unit when it comes back to life. When mine was fitted, I moved the recorder part to a lithium battery socket that I use for the dash cam so it wasn't affected by the ignition process.

And nobody within Hy could think of that?  :crazy1:
Im not familiar with the d-logger so I just assumed that there was some complex reason for not using an auxiliary source. I'm Red faced.  :rolleyes:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline rjl

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Hi Guys

Anybody here have an update on their cars?.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 08:46:28 by nzenigma »

Offline becstarz

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      vic
Hey guys!
So i was supposed to get my car fitted with a diagnostic computer (flight recorder that’s what they called it) for over a month, finally get a call the other day saying my car doesn’t need it as Hyundai have retrieved enough data from other dealers who have had the same issues and also hooked up to the computer to start working on a CPU upgrade. Basically was told to persevere with the issue until this upgrade is available and they get the heads up to upgrade my CPU.

Anyone else been given the same kind of info?
  • 2017 i30 PD SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hey guys!
So i was supposed to get my car fitted with a diagnostic computer (flight recorder that’s what they called it) for over a month, finally get a call the other day saying my car doesn’t need it as Hyundai have retrieved enough data from other dealers who have had the same issues and also hooked up to the computer to start working on a CPU upgrade. Basically was told to persevere with the issue until this upgrade is available and they get the heads up to upgrade my CPU.

Thanks for that. A CPU update seems heaps more likely than injector issues. Hopefully not long now! Be nice if a Hyundai rep came on here when it is finally sorted to explain the fix and apologize to affected owners, but guess that won't happen. :undecided:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
They probably meant an ECU upgrade.

Glad to hear the momentum hasn't been lost :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hey guys!

Thanks for that. A CPU update seems heaps more likely than injector issues. Hopefully not long now! Be nice if a Hyundai rep came on here when it is finally sorted to explain the fix and apologize to affected owners, but guess that won't happen. :undecided:

With you mate on this, the 'easy out' regarding injectors has not rung true with me either.

Offline Newyi30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Has there been any update with this?
  • 2017 i30 SR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

One had injectors replaced with some success. Another reported a software fix was on the way. I think that's about it at the moment. Pretty poor communication on Hyundai's part unfortunately.   :disapp:

Offline Flower

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland, New Zealand
Add me to the list.  Has been back to Hyundai with no fault found.  Only started after the 20 000km service, which is kinda odd and seems to happen when parked on an incline.  I absolutely love the car and it's no big deal, although a fix would be nice.
  • 2018 PD i30 1.6 Turbo Limited Hatch

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Add me to the list.  Has been back to Hyundai with no fault found.  Only started after the 20 000km service, which is kinda odd and seems to happen when parked on an incline.  I absolutely love the car and it's no big deal, although a fix would be nice.

Thanks for letting us know! An NZ one! Interesting.   :undecided:

Jeepers, I'm well and truly due for my 40,000 service. Hope mine doesn't start misbehaving!  :sweating:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
seems to happen when parked on an incline. 

You will have to move to ChCh.   :winker:

Thanks for your input. Interesting re the service.

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Are there any standard firmware update @ 20k service nzenigma??  Just curious
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Are there any standard firmware update @ 20k service nzenigma??  Just curious

As clued up as Gary is, working on mostly earlier models in his home workshop wouldn't make him privy to that info.

But, you make a good point!

@Flower you probably should suggest that the dealer looks at everything they didat the service for hints on what may have triggered the problem.   :undecided:

Offline Flower

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland, New Zealand
Hi Dazzler.  They did, and no firmware or ECU upgrades were made at the last service apparently.  They acknowledged there was a problem but they couldn't find it and offered to keep the car to for a while.  I declined as it is not a big issue for me.
  • 2018 PD i30 1.6 Turbo Limited Hatch

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Dazzler.  They did, and no firmware or ECU upgrades were made at the last service apparently.  They acknowledged there was a problem but they couldn't find it and offered to keep the car to for a while.  I declined as it is not a big issue for me.

Cheers for that. Fingers crossed they get to the bottom of it soon.  :cool:

Offline rjl

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Hi Guys

I just got an update from my dealership. That a new software update has now been released that fixes the starting issues

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi Guys

I just got an update from my dealership. That a new software update has now been released that fixes the starting issues

Appreciated, thanks. There will be a number of owners with  :Good_luck:.

Seems the failing injector theory has failed :rip: ?????????????????

Offline POWERMAD

• 1st Gear

• Sydney
Has anyone managed to get the update yet to see if it works my 10k service is in 2 weeks so ill take picture of the Firmware number before and after service to see if they did do an update and if it helps.
  • 2017 i30 SR PD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Has anyone managed to get the update yet to see if it works my 10k service is in 2 weeks so ill take picture of the Firmware number before and after service to see if they did do an update and if it helps.

That would be great thanks. Don't think anyone has reported back since this was mentioned on here.  :cool:

Offline Intergalacticwolf

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Just an update for today:

Went in for my 30k service and asked about a software update regarding the starting issue. Service representative didn’t know about it, but when they asked the technicians, they confirmed a software update was available. Cue my relief.

My experience so far was that after the faulty injector diagnosis, I experienced noticeably less start up issues. But it didn’t  eliminate the problem, it would just happen less often. I’ll continue to monitor the start ups after this upgrade and report anything strange or unremarkable (cross finger for the latter). Cheers guys, I think you all pushed for this damn update to finally happen.
  • 2017 PD i30 SR DCT

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hopefully you have better luck than Beardyboy..

:link: 2017 i30sr Starting Problem

Offline Intergalacticwolf

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Let’s hope so. But for the record, I’ve had no issues with lumpy idling like beadyboy describes.

Edit: so I mentioned something a while back before Lisa ever posted about her problem. The PD i30 had literally just come out in Oz and someone had already posted a topic regarding the same issues we are all currently having around May 2017. Think this would give you an idea of how long this has been happening:

:link: Start up issues

At the time of his post, the PD was so new that his post didn’t seem to get the attention that it probably deserved. By all means Hyundai, move at a glacial pace...  :mad:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 08:38:31 by Intergalacticwolf »
  • 2017 PD i30 SR DCT

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@Intergalacticwolf

Well picked up.  Because the poster never came back with comments or updates I forgot about that one.

A fairly trouble free history for the i30 so far over more than 10 years has obviously made them complacent and given them a false sense of security. The motors have generally been a highlight reliability wise. 

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal