i30 Owners Club

Mk2 Rear Caliper Return Spring

sheff30 · 13 · 4622

Offline sheff30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      sheffield
Hi Has anyone found a caliper return spring that will fit the Handbrake return on the rear caliper - I just contacted the dealer and was told it's not available separately but comes as part of a caliper meaning you have to pay in the region of £250 for a £5 spring  :faint:
  • 2013 1.6 CRDi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi Has anyone found a caliper return spring that will fit the Handbrake return on the rear caliper - I just contacted the dealer and was told it's not available separately but comes as part of a caliper meaning you have to pay in the region of £250 for a £5 spring  :faint:
That sucks. May be worth putting in writing to Hyundai UK your concerns if it's a 2013 model and it's now 2018 , 5 years, wty was 5 years, just out of wty. I would expect the spring to last the lifetime of the vehicle and if it can't should be made available like some of the other hardware.

Salty roads I guess crucify some bits

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Sheff,

:whsaid:

In the mean time you could try picking one up from a wreckers yard. I would imagine the same part is probably used across a multitude of Hyundai and maybe also Kia models? :undecided:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :wss: and  :whsaid:

Go to a wrecker , best try in a region where they dont salt winter roads.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline sheff30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      sheffield
thanks for your input, yes the car is just 5 months out of warranty. The brake is slightly different to the one you show - there must be 2 versions. What make is the brake? Is it hyundai's own design or made by one of the big brake companies?

• 2013 1.6 CRDi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
thanks for your input, yes the car is just 5 months out of warranty. The brake is slightly different to the one you show - there must be 2 versions. What make is the brake? Is it hyundai's own design or made by one of the big brake companies?

Unless you PM me your VIN, best i can do. have not found your image yet, working with Europe i30 2013 U@ CRDi.

Likely they are their own, MOBIS. Have a look , casting will be stamped

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
april 2013 was a month they changed the part numbers.

58300A6300  LH
58400A6300 RH

Looks like the images in the catalog are not exact

I reckon that spring looks generic enough there may be something close to it out there.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
interesting, what I found on a US spares site, Elantra

Offline sheff30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      sheffield
Hi All,
just thought I would add a quick note to close out my thread. I got a spring that is nearly the same and now the handbrake seems to be working okay, I will keep a close eye on it though. the spring size is 47mm x 12mm x 2mm (free length x coil diameter x wire diameter). I also need to clean and paint the area at some point.

I am also thinking of writing to Hyundai about them not selling the spring separately but that might be a wasted
effort

• 2013 1.6 CRDi

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Thanks for the update Sheffers :victory:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi All,
just thought I would add a quick note to close out my thread. I got a spring that is nearly the same and now the handbrake seems to be working okay, I will keep a close eye on it though. the spring size is 47mm x 12mm x 2mm (free length x coil diameter x wire diameter). I also need to clean and paint the area at some point.

I am also thinking of writing to Hyundai about them not selling the spring separately but that might be a wasted
effort

Nice work, not so nice what's going on there. Naturally you purchased extras :whistler:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Yuk  :coolingoff:

Ive commented several times about the corrosion on Brit and Euro cars, to an extent we never see them in that condition down here.  :umbrella: Something to consider when answering queries.
I remember a woman ranting on about her fuel tank falling out, we assumed that it had been submerged in sea water .  :Ouch:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline sheff30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      sheffield
yes you are right about the corrosion, our weather really doesn't help, we can drive for hours at a time on the motorway with the car bathed in a fine spray from lorries and other cars when its raining then add to that the salted slush covered roads of the winter and its no surprise that rusting is a problem.
having said all that rust often looks worse than it actually is because of the way the oxide expands as it forms.
Its a good job those handbrake levers are fairly thick, BTW the wet on the photo is only 3in1 oil. 

• 2013 1.6 CRDi

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal