i30 Owners Club

Active petrol auto 1.6l GD 2014: maintenance points question

Offline English Tom

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hertfordshire
Hi all
My first post, I am a new member...

Recently bought the above and I am heartily pleased with it - just 14,00 genuine miles. Really nice and smooth to drive but a bit thirsty but after all it is an auto with traditional hydraulic drive. I can live with a slightly thirstier car because it really is a smooth as silk.

Can anyone advise as to any specific maintenance point I need to look at such as any quickly rusting items or cables that might jam etc.

One thing I have noticed is that I cannot see anywhere where I can check the auto box fluid....Is it sealed for life?

I will be certainly offering up any info that I discover that may benefit other members

Thanks to all etc for any replies

Tom
  • 2014 i30 active hatchback 1.6 petrol automatic

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
@English Tom
ET I  can't remember where,  but a member put a link to a GD manual a few days ago.
There is a "search " section you can try, I'll have a squizz  and anyone with a better brain than me out there  ?
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Tom,

Your salted roads and wet conditions can take there toll on underbody components like brakes and suspension if not monitored, but no more than other brands I would imagine.

I'm no mechanic but I believe there is a bolt that can be removed from the transmission to allow inspection of the fluid. While it is a sealed unit on the face of it I have heard some of our tech heads talking about transmission flushes every 80,000 to 100,000 kilometres or so?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Automatic Tony

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent
Hi I have the same car. There is no dipstick it is sealed for life. out of curiosity do you find the downshift Firm I had a post about this a while ago. My mpg is quite good for a 1.6 automatic always remains about 33 mpg around town late forties at least on a run.
  • I30 tourer automatic petrol

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi I have the same car. There is no dipstick it is sealed for life. out of curiosity do you find the downshift Firm I had a post about this a while ago. My mpg is quite good for a 1.6 automatic always remains about 33 mpg around town late forties at least on a run.
For me sealed for life is a myth. What is a life?  One thing is for sure, a much shorter life if never serviced.

I guess it boils down to how long you keep a car.

These transmissions have; a drain plug(metal), a level check plug(plastic)and vent plug (plastic) which can also be undone for the purposes of refilling

This is a list of " severe conditions " suggested in 1 version of owner manual I quickly downloaded.

Repeated short distance driving.
• Driving in dusty conditions or sandy
areas.
• Extensive use of brakes.
• Driving in areas where salt or other
corrosive materials are being used.
• Driving on rough or muddy roads.
• Driving in mountainous areas.
• Extended periods of idling or low
speed operation.
• Driving for a prolonged period in cold
temperatures and/or extremely humid
climates.
• More than 50% driving in heavy city
traffic during hot weather above 32°C
(90°F)

Here's the severe recommendation which may vary region to region.

Here's an image, you can see the 2 plastic plugs

An extract from ATSG.

If the transmission has been drained, the following is the factory ATF Level Inspection procedure:

1. Add approximately 5-qts of Kia Type-4 ATF.

2. Using the GDS (or scanner), select vehicle; then A/T menu; then Current Data, and then Oil Temperature Sensor.

3. Run the vehicle long enough to warm up ATF to approximately 122-140°F (50-60°C).

4. Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever into "R", "N" and "Drive" and then back, pausing 2 to 3 seconds in each gear range.

Repeat this procedure two times.

5. Move shift lever to "Park", leave the engine running, and then lift up vehicle on hoist.

6. Remove the splash shield under the automatic transaxle.

7. Remove the oil level plug. ATF level is correct if the ATF flows out in a thin steady stream. If no ATF flows out, go to step 8.

8. If ATF flow does not occur, add Kia Type-4 ATF via the oil level hole until ATF flows out in a thin steady stream.

Adding ATF: Use a suction gun or equivalent tool to add ATF. Suction guns are available from various tool suppliers.

9. Reinstall the oil level plug and torque to 25-32 lb-ft (34-43 Nm).

ATSG - A 6-Speed from Korea Figure 5Alternate ATF Filling Procedure:

If a suction gun or equivalent tool is not readily available, locate the Vent Eyebolt on the top of the automatic transaxle oil pan (Figure 5) near the battery. Remove the Vent Eyebolt and add Kia Type-4 ATF via the opening. Reinstall the Vent Eyebolt (verify that the gasket is okay and torque to 29-32 lb-ft (39-43Nm).

:link: ATSG Blog - A 6-Speed From Korea?

I recently did a full flush on my "Sealed for Life" A6MF2 in a CRDI i40 Tourer using full syn Penrite, Low Viscosity fluid

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Automatic Tony

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent
Hi obviously there is a way to put the oil in and take it out.  but without doubt there is no dipstick, and no easy way to check the level when you might be checking engine oil and coolant levels. I would compare this to a maintenance free (sealed for life) battery yes you could cut the Seals and open up a maintenance free battery but you normally wouldn't so most people would think of it as sealed for life.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@tw2005 Thanks Gerard. Appreciate all that work (again) Will certainly help and be appreciated by any members who want to prolong the life of their Automatic.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi obviously there is a way to put the oil in and take it out.  but without doubt there is no dipstick, and no easy way to check the level when you might be checking engine oil and coolant levels. I would compare this to a maintenance free (sealed for life) battery yes you could cut the Seals and open up a maintenance free battery but you normally wouldn't so most people would think of it as sealed for life.

It's certainly a nuisance. I do prefer a dipstick .

Offline Automatic Tony

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent
@tw2005 obviously thinks that Gerard is some sort of God when it comes to i30s. But in all fairness to him it's very impressive the information that he has brought and shown. However I would still not class that as regular maintenance what he's done is a full drain and flush and the article mentions scanners etc not what your everyday person would have. Hyundai didn't put a dipstick on the gearbox so I have no convenient way of checking other than scurrying about underneath. I'm guessing that we don't see eye to eye on the terminology maintenance free or sealed for life, perhaps my bad choice of words. Very good dipstick joke  :lol:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
@tw2005 obviously thinks that Gerard is some sort of God when it comes to i30s. But in all fairness to him it's very impressive the information that he has brought and shown. However I would still not class that as regular maintenance what he's done is a full drain and flush and the article mentions scanners etc not what your everyday person would have. Hyundai didn't put a dipstick on the gearbox so I have no convenient way of checking other than scurrying about underneath. I'm guessing that we don't see eye to eye on the terminology maintenance free or sealed for life, perhaps my bad choice of words. Very good dipstick joke  :lol:

My good friend and colleague, @tw2005 (aka Gerard) is well versed in this area. To many of us, he his IS God.
 :rolleyes:
Now the concept of component  lifetime is a clash between the manufacturer that needs to sell new models, owners who may or may not be able to afford a new car and, as should be come clear to new members, the sort of climate and terrain the i30 is being used in.

eg In Oz a good car can survive for over 20 years.

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Automatic Tony

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent
Hi Gerard. I looked at  my previous post I was  a bit harsh, sorry. I didnt mean to ruffle  any feathers  here . We are all entitled to our own views. Please  accept my apologies. Tony

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi Gerard. I looked at  my previous post I was  a bit harsh, sorry. I didnt mean to ruffle  any feathers  here . We are all entitled to our own views. Please  accept my apologies. Tony
I'm not ruffled really, thanks anyway. I'm rather passionate about preventative maintenance and I think some of these modern concepts / lingo can be misleading.

Sorry, i probably rammed all that info down your throat but really I just wanted to highlight what can be done to extend the life so nobody was thinking they could just drive these boxes forever with no fluid change.

Anyway, there is a bloke in the US that has a Youtube channel, he's done some good videos on some of his Hyundai product with the 6 speed and doing a full flush. There was one part of his process I was in question on about the level check. I was not sure if he was right or not.

The manuals can be vague or there is implied knowledge. Sometimes what is not said is as important as what is.

In that procedure and you can have a quick glance over what i pasted, it states do not turn engine off with that level plug out.

The OEM guide says the start it, never says turn off or not too either.

Ol mate turned his off, I sent him a quick message along with the ATSG guide, he did not agree with me on it, oh well, his choice.

And he agreed it was my choice on how I perceived it.

I think leaving the engine on is correct and for anyone who has done a level check it's done at idle and at normal temp. That plug sits where the dipstick would sit if it was still fitted. Therefor  having it at idle is correct.

Personally I was not sure myself, I would have believed the youtube except for 2 reasons.

1. If a procedure tells you to turn something on and though the rest of the steps never says turn off then that is the last state, on.

2. Google lead me to the ATSG which you would expect knows a thing or too, they've highlighted leave it on.

It may seem trivial but I have had a "professional" service a box and checked it incorrectly. I'll never forget it because the next day I kicked it back at full throttle and as the RPM climbed the fluid level dropped, ran dry, lost pressure, box went to neutral. I estimate he put in at least  2 litres.

The box was never the same , I suspect the pump going dry at high RPM did damage.

Anyway, the info I threw up may help someone down the road if they're keen to do a flush. I never went the whole way with the temp scan data, I knew how much came out and the same went in so maybe a little higher allowing for expansion of the cold fluid.

Offline English Tom

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hertfordshire
Wow!!

Thanks everyone for such magnificent replies. Sorry, I'm late replying because I didn't tick 'be informed' whenever I get a reply.

Thanks again - All replies very interesting

Tom

Reply to Automatic Tony......

Yes, now I have become accustomed to the new car I find the change up REALLY smooth but sometimes I do become aware of the change from second to first when I have slowed to turn at a junction for example but it's not that intrusive for me. I hope this helps
  • 2014 i30 active hatchback 1.6 petrol automatic

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal