i30 Owners Club

Just put Dunlop Sport Bluresponse XLs on - what a difference!

MrWB · 18 · 4362

Offline MrWB

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I had Continental Premium Contact 2's on my 2014 i30. I'd bought it at 11 months old with 9,972 miles on the clock, and since owning it I've put about another 9000 miles on in the last 20 months (I work from home, so don't do loads of miles).

Anyway, the Continentals had worn quite badly at the front, were at 4mm at the 2 year service in May, but I'd noticed that they were wearing unevenly. They were still road-legal and had between 2mm - 3mm on the front. I'd noticed the ABS kicking in a few times of late, and then I lost traction on damp roads kicking the car out slightly when emerging from a junction earlier this week (going probably 15 MPH).

I'd also noticed that there was always a lot of cabin noise since getting the car. The ride quality was okay, better at 36 PSI than the recommended 32 PSI - but never fantastic. (I'd seen the 36 PSI recommendation on here).

However the losing traction was the final straw for me... I took another recommendation I'd seen on here and decided to go for the Dunlop Sport Bluresponse's... I decided to go for the XL's - I know I didn't strictly need them, but I thought a bit of reinforcement is meant to make them last slightly longer, I know at a slight cost of ride quality... But thought they're meant to be better than the Continental's anyway.

I plumped to have all four done, again I could have probably gotten away with the rears, but wanted them all the same....

The difference is like night and day. I feel like the car's sticking to the road. The steering's more precise. The car corners tighter and more precisely. Even in wet rain. The cabin is noticeably quieter too. It makes the car feel both more fun and safer to drive at the same time.

I know some of this will be down to having a higher tread, but it's obviously a better tyre and well worth the switch!

Anyway, wanted to share the initial feedback and recommend the tyres for anyone else looking in the future....

(Now considering adding TPMS valves to keep an automatic eye on pressure....)
  • 2014 GD 5 Door Hatch, Blue Drive Diesel 1.6lt, Manual, White, Active

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Thanks for the feedback MrWB - I too had to replace my Conti Prem Contacts prematurely (on the front) as they wore down very quickly.

As for adding TPMS - are you sure your model has the TPMS receiver that can read & interpret the valve transmissions?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline MrWB

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
With the TPMS I was just thinking of adding a cheapo aftermarket set of valves with a reader unit that plugs into one of the 12v outlets in the dash....

Not as elegant as the Hyundai OEM/built in solution, but it will do the job and only cost about £60. Cheaper to buy, cheaper to service/replace....

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Brilliant little project :goodjob: good luck :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
With the TPMS I was just thinking of adding a cheapo aftermarket set of valves with a reader unit that plugs into one of the 12v outlets in the dash....

Not as elegant as the Hyundai OEM/built in solution, but it will do the job and only cost about £60. Cheaper to buy, cheaper to service/replace....

I've got one of these. seems to work OK, but due to the low, recessed position of my 12V sockets it is a bit of a pain to read the little screen.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline MrWB

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I've got one of these. seems to work OK, but due to the low, recessed position of my 12V sockets it is a bit of a pain to read the little screen.

Which one have you got if you don't mind me asking? I'm looking at the Carchet/Vesafe little round blue LED display thing. I know it's not going to be perfect to view, but I figured checking on setting off and checking once tyres have warmed shouldn't be too much of an issue (I don't need to look at it all the time), plus there's audible alarms that can be set to alert if there's a problem?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yep that's the one. Hopefully this Ebay link will work.

:link: TPMS Tyre Pressure Monitoring System w/ External Sensors Cigarette Lighter | eBay

The screen is quite small and not as clear as in the picture, but seems fairly accurate and I do what you said. The alarm does work. I got a 10% discount because I bought it near my Birthday... :happydance:

Offline MrWB

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yep, they work fine.  :goodjob:

I only paid about A$78 after discount I did well... :happydance:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
All rain  is wet  :exclaim: :mrgreen:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline MrWB

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Yep, they work fine.  :goodjob:

I only paid about A$78 after discount I did well... :happydance:

Good to know they work! :) And A$78 is a bargain! I can get them for £50 (~ A$84) but they'll be from HK, which means that they could get import duty, so I may as well go for next day deliver from Amazon for £59.99 (~ A$101) which would probably be about the same as the £50 + import duty...

All rain  is wet  :exclaim: :mrgreen:

Lol. Good point, well made.....

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
For those considering monitring tyre pressures, found this BT kit that pairs with a mobile phone - not cheap though!!
:link: Fobo Tyre Wireless Bluetooth Tyre Pressure Monitoring

There are cheaper ones on eBay
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

For those considering monitring tyre pressures, found this BT kit that pairs with a mobile phone - not cheap though!!

Wow! nice concept but too exy for me!  :Shocked:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I imagine you need to get all the wheels rebalanced when you fit them - or do you?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 10:42:49 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I imagine to need to get all the wheels rebalanced when you fit them - or do you?

They are very light, haven't noticed them causing any vibration. :undecided:

Offline edagrade

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Canterbury

Offline MrWB

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

I like the look of this, but equally only after something cheap and I like the idea of a plug-in display on the 12v outlet - it will always be there then, rather than needing to get my phone out to look?

I like this one...

:link: TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring System LCD w/ External Sensor for Car Auto New | eBay

I like the look of this also, with the car picture... It's really smart... But it's another display to add to the dash and need to put away (on top of my DAB radio controller and sat nav).... The cigarette lighter is a bit less attractive, but it's also a bit more discreet  and just as funcitonal?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I like this one...

:link: TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring System LCD w/ External Sensor for Car Auto New | eBay

Because my 12V outlets are both poorly located for easy viewing I might have paid the extra (in hindsight) for that one. Although with a dash mat, I'm not sure where I could have located it!

Just be aware that with ambient light it might not be as clear and readable as it looks in that picture..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal