i30 Owners Club

2020/ 2021 i30 N-Line Clutch

Pidge · 5 · 8279

Offline Pidge

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hi everyone. I’m new to the forum but had a bit of a search and couldn’t find what I was after.

I have a UK 2020 i30 N-Line, but it’s the 2021 facelift version.

I’m wanting to hear from those who own the same car really. How is the clutch?

On mine the clutch feels very light. Almost too light. Finding the bite is quite tricky too. It’s quite high up, higher than anything I’ve ever driven. Is this normal for this model? I found my self revving the back side off it way too often when setting off for the first few weeks of owning it.

I’m not sure how to describe this, but the bit point seems really narrow…as in there isn’t much margin for error. A fraction too low and you rev the hell out of the car, fraction too high and you start juddering and almost cutting out. Makes setting off smoothly a bit of a chore. I’ve never had a car like that.

And finally is the burning smell. I’ve only ever had this before after prolonged holding of the clutch on hills or in slow traffic. But normally it’s after 15 - 20 seconds. In this car it stinks of burning after 5 seconds of holding the bite on a slightly steeper than flat incline.

I’m very tempted to keep an eye out for another one of these cars to turn up for sale in my area and take one for a test drive to compare. So my question is, has anyone else had similar experiences with the same model? Surely my clutch can’t be knackered so soon?

• i30 n-line

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi Pidge and  :wlcome01:

Can't speak for the point at which the biting point occurs, maybe others will chip in there.

As for holding the car on the clutch at the bite point - you're surely asking for trouble doing that :eek: why not use the brakes? It's no real wonder you're smelling friction wear...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Pidge

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
For a few seconds?? I could understand if I was doing it all the time, or for a considerable amount of time but we’re talking a few seconds at junctions that require it.

I wouldn’t expect any car to smell like you’re burning a pile of rubber each time you hold the bite for 5 seconds.
  • i30 n-line

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
2020 i30's should have "Hill-start Assist Control (HAC)" feature, which when you release footbrake on a incline the car does not immediately roll back. It is not good idea to ride the clutch on inclines. If in doubt hold the car from rolling back the old fashioned way using the handbrake.
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Well I have the 2019 (MY2020) version and after owning it three years the clutch is still pretty light - much lighter than my old diesel.

In my experience you will get used to is in a few weeks. If you are struggling to find the bite point then try moving your seat back a notch or two. You may then need to make the back a little more upright, and maybe bring the headrest forward. I do find the sweet-spot of where I can site more sensistive in the Mk3 than it was in the Mk1 i30.

You car does have hill start assist - no need to burn the clutch plates. they will smell if you smoke them. When you come to a standstill just stop using the main brake - and then you can take your foot of the brake and move to the accelerator and the car will sit still for up to 2 seconds then disengage, unless you accelerate sooner. once used to it you hardly ever have to balance or ride the clutch.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal