i30 Owners Club

Error Message - cannot paste copied text into my posts

TerryT · 18 · 2238

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Hi,
[/size] I cannot copy text from a web site or Word doc and successfully post that text to the forum.
[/size] (I copy the text with right-click mouse > copy and paste it with right-click mouse > paste.  I have also tried using CTRL+C and CTRL+V).
[/size]
[/size]The text pastes okay in the post draft box but when I preview my post there's nothing but this error message.
[/size] I also see unsolicited info in brackets [  ] at the start of each line.
[/size] Have I broken my Internet? ;)

• 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
That's a bit odd. So is your post having an HTML tag remnant at the beginning of every line.
Have you tried do the same thing after having filtered it through a copy/paste in Notepad?
It just may be you're pasting some character codes outside the norm.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
That's a bit odd. So is your post having an HTML tag remnant at the beginning of every line.
Have you tried do the same thing after having filtered it through a copy/paste in Notepad?
It just may be you're pasting some character codes outside the norm.

Gonz,
Thanks for the quick reply and the suggestion. I tried it but it didn't work.

#1. I opened Notebook and copied in some random text. 
#2. I copied that text and pasted it in the draft box for a reply to you.  The text pasted okay into the draft box.
#3. When I previewed my post, my 'copied' text wasn't there but there was a line at the bottom of the preview?

[size=78%][/size]

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Try it now @TerryT

The php function being called was deprecated years ago but I never got round to fixing it.

Do note that the code that's failing is trying to parse html, which is not permitted here, so you may get other strange results.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 09:07:45 by Shambles »
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Try it now @TerryT

The php function being called was deprecated years ago but I never got round to fixing it.

Do note that the code that's failing is trying to parse html, which is not permitted here, so you may get other strange results.

@Shambles,
Thanks.  Unfortunately, it did not help. :undecided:
I copied text from a Word.doc and pasted it successfully into the draft box.  When I went to preview my post [before I sent it) I got the same result as before in my reply to Gonz i.e. no Error Message but, again, my copied text didn't show in my preview screen and, again, there was this faint line at the bottom left of the preview screen.
I've always been able to copy and paste text into my posts without problems.     

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Ok thanks @TerryT

Would you mind sending me that Word doc (or attaching it to a post) so I can replicate this issue please? There's obvs some formatting in it that the forum software doesn't like.

Ta

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Ok thanks @TerryT

Would you mind sending me that Word doc (or attaching it to a post) so I can replicate this issue please? There's obvs some formatting in it that the forum software doesn't like.

Ta

Shambles, thanks for the support.  I tried to attach a Word doc (imaginatively titled Word doc TT.docx) with some random text in it but although the screenshot below suggests that the doc was received by the forum site, when I went to the Preview screen the dox was not there.  (Incidentally, nor was that faint line at the bottom left of page).

Frustrating!  My wife says I'm the strong silent (handsome) type but wants to know why I keep banging my head on the computer desk!

Should I email you a Word and/or Notepad doc?

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yeah send it over. It should have attached though... maybe it only does a real attach once you hit the post button. Must try that myself sometime
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 08:33:26 by Shambles »

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Yeah send it over. It should have attached though... maybe it only does a real attach once you hit the post button. Must try that myself sometime

Shambles.  I tried that and got the following error message.  Would you please message me your email address and I will send the Word doc that way.  Thanks.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
You could rename your .docx to .doc   but I've enabled .docx so please try to attach again.

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
You could rename your .docx to .doc   but I've enabled .docx so please try to attach again.

Success!!!  Thank you.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Attachment

Sample text typed for post to Shambles

(Text font changed from Calibri (Body) 11 pt, to Ariel 12 pt)

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I didn't get any errors posting. Are you using the quick-reply editor or the very -uggy-and-not-recommended wysiwyg editor?  I'll try with that and see what happens

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Attachment

Sample text typed for post to Shambles

(Text font changed from Calibri (Body) 11 pt, to Ariel 12 pt)

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Looks like that might be your issue TerryT wysiwyg is very buggy and not recommended. You can change the default editor in your profile area under Look & Layout.

Try that and see what happens

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Guys, for whatever reason (Divine intervention, the Devil's work or Shambles tweaking something in the background?) I was able to successfully attach two .jpg files (52 KB & 92 KB) to a new topic "Petrol tank cap holder" in the Technical Info section. 

I was able to Preview my post (and see the attachments were there) before hitting the Post button.  No error message.  Post is now just waiting on admin approval.

I have copied this post to my other Cry for Help post on similar issues.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I only did two things TerryT - enable the attachment of .docx and recommend not to use the wysiwyg editor ;)

Glad it's now better for you.

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
I only did two things TerryT - enable the attachment of .docx and recommend not to use the wysiwyg editor ;)

Glad it's now better for you.

Ok, thanks for that advice.  Guess I'm too much of an ol' cynic to believe that the problem has gone away permanently...think it's just playing with me.  :)

If the problem reappears, do you suggest that in my MS Edge settings I select Restore Settings (as CraigB thought it might be a browser issue) to get rid of any glitch in Edge?  Or, should I just make Chrome my default browser?  (Look at me, talking computer-talk like I know what I'm doing! )  :rofl:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal