i30 Owners Club

1.6 CRDI Diesel FD very hard to start from cold

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Tw2005 I would go with the glow plugs 1st.

Agreed, it runs perfect just cranks a few secs longer dead cold.  Is it the glows  that can seize in the head? That's my main concern other wise a set can be had for $100 which I would not mind as a preventative measure.

Our esteemed Moderator Asterix had the unfortunate situation where they couldn't get 2 of his glow plugs out , but this is VERY rare... :Touch:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Tw2005 I would go with the glow plugs 1st.

Agreed, it runs perfect just cranks a few secs longer dead cold.  Is it the glows  that can seize in the head? That's my main concern other wise a set can be had for $100 which I would not mind as a preventative measure.

Try here. $42.00 includes postage from Germany.
 :link: 4 PCS YOU S Original Glow Plugs FOR Hyundai I30 FD 1 6 Crdi 66 85 94 KW NEW | eBay
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
Hi Guys,

Well guess what, its perfect. So nice to turn the key and have it start after one crank. You guys are right, its it a trap I've fallen into myself, thinking the problem is complex and going looking for a complex solution. Think I'll go see the dealer personally and convey the news, should be good for a laugh, even if it was at my expense.

:goodjob2: :goodjob:

In your situation I'd also go to the first dealer giving a third degree about being so incompetent about the issue. Instead of checking the glow plugs, they try to get parts worth $5000 replaced, and ultimately that would not have even fixed the problem! It's bull **** that even in Australia you would never need glowing. Someone could even think that they may have tried to rip you off, and then just replace the glow plugs secretly so the customer would believe the whole thing was necessary.
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
.....should be good for a laugh, even if it was at my expense.

...ultimately that would not have even fixed the problem! It's bull **** that even in Australia you would never need glowing. Someone could even think that they may have tried to rip you off, and then just replace the glow plugs secretly so the customer would believe the whole thing was necessary.

Hi Tohis,
Yep you are right about this dealer. And he is not alone.
Since the 1980s, cars have become more and more complex; during this time, the general public developed an aversion to getting their hands dirty, consequently they are now fair game for rogue mechanics and dealerships.
 I know some excellent 'old school' mechanics who have a rounded education in most facets of the industry. On the other hand, there are so-called mechanics who have come through dealership training that relies upon a procedural manual on only a few models. In this setting , lateral thinking is not needed or encouraged.

In regard to 'glowing' in Australia, we have a vast temperature range from North to South and also from valley to hilltop. I have had i30s with shot glow plugs here in Brisbane (sub-tropic Oz). Apart from some white smoke from the exhaust, they start as per normal.
Ray lives in a lower part of Brisbane that will be colder in the mornings, but as the question of the smoke was raised early in the discussion and there was no response, I assumed that he did not have that problem.
The "top mechanic" at the dealership should have gone through all the points that the club members had also raised. He was either too thick to do so , and/or had a financial quota to meet.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I would have thought a simple check of the gp resistance would quickly tell if they were serviceable or not.  :Dunno:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
                   :cool: MY CONTRIBUTION TO SCIENCE AND INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS  :cool:

It's bull **** that even in Australia you would never need glowing.

1. Have already written about my observations, but.... We need a proper investigation.  :idea:
I am currently selling a December 2008 build CRDi i30 manual with 74,000Km on the clock. It was last started exactly one week ago.

2. We need an intrepid investigator.
This morning (19 Sept 2016) I arose at the ungodly hour of 5am, checked the house temperature, it was 12 deg C.
 I went down to my #2 garage where said i30 is stored. Here, I suggest the temperature was a few degrees lower . ( Think of a perfect summer day in Finland) :whistler:

3. Indisputable evidence.
I removed the glow plug relay from the car then attempted to start it. The car fired up immediately. There was a wisp of white smoke but no rough idle.  Note: I think that the motor may have had a louder than usual detonation knock for a few seconds.

4. Conclusion.
People who have migrated from Europe to Australia enjoy a brilliant climate that is not dominated by rain or glaciers; and they also enjoy longer life, therefore lower running costs, from their i30 glow plugs ( unless they go near a Hyundai dealership.)  :snigger:

Cheers All

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Tried that in Threadbo lately :question:

There are places in Oz that require heating, even at Coober Pedy where it is very hot during the day it can be freezing overnight. Water vapour in the air holds latent heat, so in deserts it can be very cold due to lack of moisture.

Just saying  :exclaim:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks for the support Phil :faint:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Yeah, we can get caught up in comparing climate on a continental scale but every continent has its extremes at latitudes and altitudes.

Anyone who suggests longitudes go to the back of the class! :crazy1:

Having lived in Aus, UK, Afghanistan and now Indonesia, and visited 12 other countries, there's no cut'n'dry comparison. I recall cars rusting out very quickly in the UK and Europe from salt on snowy roads and ocean proximity. I recall 45 degree summers in the south of Spain and the same in Melbourne. Southern Afghanistan in the 50s and northern into the negatives.

Einstein's answer would have been a very characteristic "It depends". :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Sorry @nzenigma , I wasn't intentionally being offensive, it's just that I think there will be times when heating is required.

If I offended, I apologise.

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
I also apologize if someone was offended of me saying "it's bull ****". That was meant only for those garages which refused to believe glow plugs could be the culprit of the case:

Suggested glow plugs this to northside guys who still had the car and they said the same as the dealer, will not be that, don't need glow plugs in Queensland.

• 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hey guys, no problems  :) :) :)
Phil just a chuckle mate, no offence. :goodjob2:

The reason I checked my i30 was because I was doubting my own words. I was struck by a comment from a European member who said i30s were hard on glow plugs. Why?
I'm guessing that it is to do with the time coolant reaches the cut-off point for the plugs. These times will probably be longer in the European climate compared to the milder winter experienced in Australia.
So ,blame it on me,
Thanks for your generous replies. :)
Cheers gary

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
So how does the coolant pressure / path length differ from similar makes and models? I wonder just what design peculiarities might contribute to this. :confused:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I applaud the conciliatory banter in this thread. Great to see! Pity there wasn't more of that in today's world!  😀

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi Guys,

Well guess what, its perfect. So nice to turn the key and have it start after one crank. You guys are right, its it a trap I've fallen into myself, thinking the problem is complex and going looking for a complex solution. Think I'll go see the dealer personally and convey the news, should be good for a laugh, even if it was at my expense.

Now I  have to sort out the blower fan and it will all be working perfectly.

So the company who fixed the problem, Diesel Australia +61 7 3808 6988, Slacks Creek QLD.  Highly recommended.

Thanks again guys.

Still catching up - so maybe already been done.  Has this been added to the dealer/service good/bad boards?  Obviously good in this case.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline crazykev

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
My glow plugs were stuffed at 110k. I CT tonged the glow cable and there was no current going through them at all. I took it to the dealer and told them - Rough cold start - Glow plugs arent reading any current. They changed them under warranty. Fixed. I live in QLD Redlands, so not too cold here. It wasnt really the long start that was the problem it was the rough start smoke and idle when cold. Made a heap of difference if left in the garage vs outside.

The glow plugs were the problem, apparently on modern diesels the computer cycles them on when the motor on running cold for smoother running. I will be tonging them again at 200k at if they arent going its NGK replacements all the way.
  • i30 FD diesel slx

Offline DenisPC9

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Tenterfield, NSW

The glow plugs were the problem, apparently on modern diesels the computer cycles them on when the motor on running cold for smoother running. I will be tonging them again at 200k at if they arent going its NGK replacements all the way.

I live 800+ metres above sea level in the northern New England Region and about 3 weeks ago my i30 CrDi was very difficult to cold start it took ~15 cranks to fire up then shot out cloud of whitish vapour.  Apart from that it runs like a greased cockroach.  It is a 2009 model with 130K and serviced according to the Manufacturer's schedule.

Initially I hopped onto Whirlpool with my problem.  I thought it may be the Glowplugs as did several of the others there.  One of the fellows mentioned this site, so I hopped over here.  It turns out I joined up here back in 2009  :eek:

Cruising through this Thread confirmed what I thought.  So I booked it to Milano Motors in Lismore and they replaced the Glowplugs.  The new Plugs had a Resistance of 1 Ohm and the old ones was 1200 Ohms.  Graham (the Boss) also mentioned that the Glowplugs also fire up during normal running to burn off unburnt gases, see your comment above.

Milano's charged me just under $300.00 for the job.  Which, judging by some of the comments posted was very reasonable.  They are a good bunch to deal with.

It now fires up on the 2 to 3 crank as it did before,

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Oil swell the ten swell then.  :victory:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good to hear Denis.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal