i30 Owners Club

1.6crdi Smoking Exhaust

JFL · 10 · 3246

Offline JFL

• 1st Gear
I purchased a new i30 in May this year and to date it has only done 3000 miles. Every time it starts after being left for a while, there seems to be an awful lot of smoke around the rear of the the car also coming into the the cabin area. Took it it back to the dealer who changed the glo-plugs and told me that it was too young to have any other problems!!! I have tried most things and always ensure the glo-plug light goes out before turning the engine. Any suggestions??

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Did they check the glow-plug fuse I wonder? There have been a couple of reports of that being the cause.....

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I purchased a new i30 in May this year and to date it has only done 3000 miles. Every time it starts after being left for a while, there seems to be an awful lot of smoke around the rear of the the car also coming into the the cabin area. Took it it back to the dealer who changed the glo-plugs and told me that it was too young to have any other problems!!! I have tried most things and always ensure the glo-plug light goes out before turning the engine. Any suggestions??

Hi JFL welcome to the club..

The CRDi is a great little car .. it is a shame you are having this problem (quite embarrassing for you)

Hope is is what Lorian says (and is soon fixed)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
...Every time it starts after being left for a while, there seems to be an awful lot of smoke...

How does she behave when [re]started from warm?

Nomatter, there shouldn't be any exhaust fumes entering the cabin :eek:. As for being "too young to have any other problems"... hmmm... age doesn't matter. We've had members with the odd problem right from the off (but sorted out under the fantastic Hy warranty).
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Nomatter, there shouldn't be any exhaust fumes entering the cabin :eek:.

Before I learnt to "go after glow" if I started the car and immediately reversed I could usually smell the fumes.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Just one other thing JFL.. if your current dealer fobs you off again.. go the next closest one and drop into the conversation that " you have a large family that buy a lot of new cars" that should help you get some service... :wink:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I have the same car with the same problem, glow plugs have already been changed, and car at the dealer now, when dealer tested 3 other cars 2 had the problem, one did not, dealer has offered to swap the car, but the odds are not in my favour, i will suggest the fuse fix as mentioned in another post, will keep you updated.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Have you tried changing the brand of diesel you use and see if that makes a difference.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal