AlanHo · 10 · 2067

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I use Virgin Media Cable for my broadband

They Emailed me today to advise that my connection speed will be increased at no extra cost in August 2014 from 60 Mb to 100 Mb.

I'm not all that impressed - for the sort of Emailing and browsing I do - I never noticed when it went from 20 Mb to 60 Mb other than how fast big software updates downloaded.

I expect it will be more of the same.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Got to agree with your sentiment... my fibrechannel runs at around 84Mbps and I don't see much benefit when simply trundling through this internet of things, other than when grabbing megadownloads via the newsies.

Still, if it's free for you, embrace it with both paws.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Me too, between August 2014 and February 2015
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!
The reason most home owners never see an advantage with Internet connections past 20Mbps is quite simple.

Most web services can't deliver the content to you fast enough because they don't have the capability to deliver content faster.

Once you start using services that use CDN's like Akamai, it is a different matter.
Also, once you start throwing VoIP calls, multiple users in your home, "hi def" YouTube watching, and on demand TV websites, you start to become grateful for the fast connection.

I would love to be getting a free upgrade to 8Mbps, let alone 20Mbps. Internet connectivity options here in Australia are somewhat crap, and thanks to the bright sparks, I mean morons, Tony Abbot and Malcolm Turnbull, it will be another 20 years and 100's of billions of dollars before the country gets an FTTP network that will provide a fair playing field for 90%+ of the country.
  • i30 Premium 2012 1.6l Diesel

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Virgin Media have certainly ensured that Internet providers in the UK have upped their game from the days of BT monopoly in the early days of dial up!
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Yes, you lucky people over there have got this worked out alright. You may have DPF, but us Aussies dream of having those sort of speeds. The shoe is on the other foot here, most of the time slowness is a result of our p1ss poor internet structure, (then there's Dazz) :) Whereas you fellows are slowed because those who communicate with you can't reach your transfer rates (yet). As plastic says, in a multi user heavy environment, your systems will breeze along, unlike ours.  :argh:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Big population in a small area V small population in a big area (the cost of infrastructure per person is going to be  a lot greater unfortunately and slower to implement) But I would like those sort of speeds!  :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Big population in a small area V small population in a big area (the cost of infrastructure per person is going to be  a lot greater unfortunately and slower to implement) But I would like those sort of speeds!  :mrgreen:

Agreed, distance between cities is a problem for us, but why don't the govt simply stop ****ing around talking and arguing and just DO what they do over there, using the same equipment. The amount of reports and investigations, all costing millions of $, then the political maneuvering,,,,,,.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline bryand

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Loughborough
I use Virgin Media Cable for my broadband

They Emailed me today to advise that my connection speed will be increased at no extra cost in August 2014 from 60 Mb to 100 Mb.

I'm not all that impressed - for the sort of Emailing and browsing I do - I never noticed when it went from 20 Mb to 60 Mb other than how fast big software updates downloaded.

I expect it will be more of the same.

I actually measured the speed of mine when Virgin increased it from 10 MB to 30 MB.  It came out at 29.9 MB/sec.
So don't hold your breath for when it will happen, but when it does, they usually deliver.
Round here they do, anyway.

• 2011 FD i30 1.6 Diesel

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
My ADSL 2+ gives me speeds of 12 Mbps which is more than adequate for streaming HD TV etc.

I could opt for cable or wait for the 'fibre to the cabinet' box near me to start working, but no need really.

If you have several users in the house, all downloading masses at one time then maybe different. :)

Though you can try to use the figure to impress people in the pub though.  :mrgreen:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal