i30 Owners Club

Reliability of 2.0L Nu GDi petrol engine + 6-speed auto | Also, paddles useful?

Zeeb · 5 · 2820

Offline Zeeb

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hi, great forum. I am closing in on buying a new i30
(I still haven't totally ruled out a Polo GTI or Ford Focus but that's a different topic).

I am coming from a 2004 Nissan N16 Pulsar and a 1997 Excel (aka Accent) - both have been ultra-reliable.

(I'm looking at the i30 Go in Typhoon Silver with Smartsense pack + the $999 'Interior Sport' option for the paddle shifters - $27,484 RR driveaway.)

I have decided on the standard petrol 2L with the 6-speed auto (unfortunately the N-Line auto is out of my budget and I'm wary of the current DCT anyway.)

I just have a few questions if anyone would please answer that I hope will ease my mind even more.

1. Engine carbon buildup. From Wikipedia it looks like the 2L 'Nu GDi' engine has been around since 2013 when it was in the 2nd gen SR (retuned for 3rd gen lower models I guess).

That is a good sign but has anyone with this engine experienced serious carbon buildup that needed cleaning (or other issues)? If so after how many kms, and did it require the walnut blasting people talk about?

2. The 6-speed auto transmission. I guess this has been around as long as this engine. Is this well-matched and as reliable as most torque-converter autos?

3. Are the paddle shifters useful and fun with this transmission and are they quickish to respond?

Cheers.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 06:03:15 by Zeeb »
  • Looking at: 2020 or 2021 PD hatch, non-turbo petrol 2.0L, 6-speed auto

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
They're good cars that I've not heard of any problems with.

Carbon build up isn't an issue as far as I'm aware in petrol models, 95 + petrol will help keep thing cleaner if needed :) Walnut blasting/Sandblasting is for body work, stripping paint.

The torque converter boxes don't seem to have any issues either if looked after, paddle shifts wont make the changes any quicker, if you're after sportier shifts then the DCT will do that with better performance of the 1.6 turbo.

Offline Zeeb

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Thank you, that sounds good for this non-turbo engine and auto box. Will def use 95 petrol.

For anyone interested here is a vid of walnut blasting the intake valves of a Golf GTI. It involves a lot more manual scraping etc. than I would have guessed.
(see especially around 14-19min)
:link: Carbon Cleaning - How to Scrape and Walnut Blast your Intake Valves - MK7 VW GTI - YouTube

I'd love to get the N-line turbo but I don't want to fret about and nurse the DCT, hoping it will last 15 years. And on the Hyundai website atm it looks like you can't get auto-DCT on the N-Line - only on the N-Line Premium for near $40k.

I guess that's good that the paddle shifters won't much improve the auto shifting, but are they known to be fairly quick or fairly slow in activating changes? And is the gear stick in tiptronic mode faster than paddles to respond?
  • Looking at: 2020 or 2021 PD hatch, non-turbo petrol 2.0L, 6-speed auto

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
No way I'd be performing that task with the head still attached to the engine.

Fair enough the blasting might get the rear of the valves clean but what happens with the open valves? you'll end up with walnut dust and grit inside the cylinder chambers :crazy1:

If they require cleaning I'd only be using valve/throttle body cleaner.

Offline Banisteraus

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Punchbowl
Had paddle shifters in my previous honda jazz used them about 3 times in 12 years why bother, my new I30 active automatic has 6 speed manual mode(standard), shifts quickly but automatic goes pretty quick in sport mode.  Love this car and smartsense pack.
  • I30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal