i30 Owners Club

Diesel removal - from the skin

Offline AKAdventure

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newtown, NSW, Australia
The missus and I are doing the Christmas trip from Sydney to Adelaide (1480kms). This morning I filled up with diesel and the pump splashed back and I got diesel all over me. (Of course the Service Station had no paper towels!!)

Thus, I have driven around 800kms today smelling like a truck! The missus is not impressed.

Does anyone know how to get the smell of diesel out of your skin? I had good shower tonight, washed a my hands with good strong soap but still the stink remains.

Diesel mechanics, what do they use? I'm trying to avoid a divorce here!! (only joking!)
Andrew

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
People pay good money to smell like you

http://tinyurl.com/cs658b2
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
We got latex gloves with our car. Suggest you use them in future. You may try a disinfectant, with a eucalyptus component. Eucalyptus is a form of oil and may emulsify the diesel. Then rinse hands and use a good scented skin repair. Long term diesel is not good for your skin, can cause allergic reaction or dermatitis. Good luck.  :disapp:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
My previous post to this thread got lost in the move  :disapp:

I keep scented baby wipes in my glovebox (don't need them as often now we don't have a CRDi) We didn't get the latex gloves with ours  :whistler:

I also use Stainless Steel soap that I got from a $2 shop (reject shop has it I think) Don't know how it works but it does  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Carrickferugs, Northern Ireland, UK

• My other car has no roof :O Mk1 MX5 1.8
Surely if you covered the miss's in Petrol (Gasoline) or something that smelt worse, you woudnt seem so bad anymore?

Possibly some exfoliating stuff mite help? to clear your pours. or something like the done in the all Roman days, a hot shower to open the pours, and then something to clean with?

You may possibly have landed yourself a chance to go to a beauty spa, take the wife with you so it looks like a christmas present for her, secretly its for u.

I wont judge ya ;)
  • Premium 1.6 CRDi 2008 MY

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
If the stink is still persisting, maybe it's not you?.... :p

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Check for shrimp in the curtain rods... :whistler:

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Carrickferugs, Northern Ireland, UK

• My other car has no roof :O Mk1 MX5 1.8

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I keep scented baby wipes in my glovebox (don't need them as often now we don't have a CRDi)

And since your kids have grown up.... :p  :D

I also use Stainless Steel soap that I got from a $2 shop (reject shop has it I think) Don't know how it works but it does  :happydance:

Sounds a bit abrasive, I think I'd rather use soap that's made out of...well, soap....  :whistler:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Ta for the link, seems it may be a "come in sucker" product...... :undecided:

Think I'll stick to normal soap or the good ol' Solvol or washing powder for really grotty stuff.... :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Mine only cost $2 from the reject shop and it appears to work on all sorts of odours.. The Arthro-aid cream i sometimes rub on my knee and ankle has a typical linament type smell and the Stainless steel soap seems to get rid of the smell easier and more completely than regular soap does (and it does work on the onion smell too) :happydance:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
No worries, Daz, I'll take your word for it.... :D

Speaking of onion smell, I wonder how it would go down my trousers?  :p :whistler:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
hi Andrew, what brand of diesel where you filling up with?
i always use Caltex Vortex from a Caltex ( non wooly's ) servo. and it is sented. with Diesel it flows faster than petrol as larger diam nozzle, so after the first click pull filler nozzle out more till you can see it have it at an angle to make the fuel spin down filler kneck, just go light on the trigger then when foaming gets to top of kneck while still filling. don't fill in bursts or will spit out filler kneck. also stand to one side.
sorry can't help on the diesel smell. but shelling prawns christmas day could have fixed it for sure :rofl:
what way will you go Sydney to Adelaide? most do the via Hay route, but i like Dubbo Nyngan Cobar Broken Hill, with a stop in Silverton. it's slightly further but i could get much better economy that way. it's more remote but i've done both ways.
by the way when the i30 CRDi 5 speed was released in 2007 a pro economy driver drove one from Adelaide to Port Maquarie on one tank going through broken hill cobar nyngan dubbo then golden hwy to the coast. have a great trip.

Offline AKAdventure

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newtown, NSW, Australia
Well I haven't been on the forum for a few days and I must say I got a good laugh when I read all the posts today. Thanks guys for your assistance. (Not so sure about the prawns tho..)

The diesel stayed on my hands for a few days but is gone now. Just persistance paid off. (And about 20 different soaps)

I will try and fill up more carefully next time. I used BP Diesel, only because it was the one close by and I needed to get moving.

Lakes.. We travelled by the Hume Hwy, via Wagga, then to Hay and across via Mildura. Its not the quickest way, but the better road. Via Pinnaroo can be a bit busy with trucks.

One small issue I am experiancing is I'm getting some vibration from either a tyre or a drive shaft, but my money is on a tyre.  I tried putting the spare on and it has improved the vibration, however it's not cured. Having odd tyres on the front isn't good, so I will get some new front tyres tomorrow.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
at work we wash our hands with an industrial hand cleaner with a citrus extract in it,it gets the smell of diesel out of our hands.  :mrgreen:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal