• Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Finally a faulty unit found,

Thanks to you both, but,

maybe it should read "Finally yet another faulty unit found"  :eek:

Yes perhaps.. Very disappointing  :disapp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Finally a faulty unit found,

Thanks to you both, but,

maybe it should read "Finally yet another faulty unit found"  :eek:

Yes perhaps.. Very disappointing  :disapp:

Damn. I knew I should've read the thread once more before posting that... :disapp:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :whsaid:
+Good they found something.

- Bad it happened at all.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Berocca

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia

• 2010 CRDi SX Man CC

SO far so good.  If anyone out the is having problems such as the 3000 rpm cut out or the engine losing power and cutting out I strongly suggest you give a fuel treatment such as fuelmaster a go.  Fuelmaster is not cheap at $70 per litre, but is does treat 4000L of fuel so will hopefully keep my diesel tanks bug free for some time.

I've now put two tanks of fuel through my car since I started using the fuel treatment.  I must say I am impressed.  I have had NO reoccurrence of the engine cutting out or being limited to 3000rpm.  The fuel economy for the first tank (which I dosed with 100ml of fuelmaster - 5 times what was needed) was 5l/100km - This is the best ever fuel economy that i've achieved by a long margin!  The second tank (dosed with 12.5ml) I received 5.2l/100km the second best fuel economy that I've achieved!  Not sure what fuel economy others get but I used to get about 6l/100km from mainly highway driving with 20% town running.

I've started using this product in my XTRAIL also.  I would really like to see dealers recommend this product rather than offer to drain tank for $600 which may not even fix the problem! :)
  • i30 CRDi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I've got my bottle too Berocca.  :goodjob2:

I also bought these to carry in the car.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290729308208?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Offline Berocca

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia

• 2010 CRDi SX Man CC
I've got my bottle too Berocca.  :goodjob2:

I also bought these to carry in the car.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290729308208?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Good work Phil, just ordered some of those containers myself!  I have been using a 20ml syringe but these are much more convenient. Have you noticed any change in fuel economy?  The company is quite conservative and doesn't really claim that there will be an improvement - but I am quite impressed with my improvement.
  • i30 CRDi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Haven't used the product yet, I have a filled bottle waiting for the next refuelling. The filler tube is quite long and I don't want to add it without fresh fuel as well. :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

SO far so good.  If anyone out the is having problems such as the 3000 rpm cut out or the engine losing power and cutting out I strongly suggest you give a fuel treatment such as fuelmaster a go.  Fuelmaster is not cheap at $70 per litre, but is does treat 4000L of fuel so will hopefully keep my diesel tanks bug free for some time.

I've now put two tanks of fuel through my car since I started using the fuel treatment.  I must say I am impressed.  I have had NO reoccurrence of the engine cutting out or being limited to 3000rpm.  The fuel economy for the first tank (which I dosed with 100ml of fuelmaster - 5 times what was needed) was 5l/100km - This is the best ever fuel economy that i've achieved by a long margin!

:happydance: :goodjob:

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose

Just not sure where you could safely purchase this product here in the UK.

After several failed prior attempts to solve the problem, i30 booked in for a replacement accelerator pedal position sensor on Tuesday 9th April :confused:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:Dunno: :Good_luck:

Offline Berocca

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia

• 2010 CRDi SX Man CC

Just not sure where you could safely purchase this product here in the UK.

After several failed prior attempts to solve the problem, i30 booked in for a replacement accelerator pedal position sensor on Tuesday 9th April :confused:

It looks like in the UK you have a product called Star Brite Biodiesel that looks similar. Here is a link to a great article comparing UK diesel bug treatments. http://www.marine16.co.uk/acatalog/diesel_bug_pbo_test1.pdf

You are better to use a product that gets ride of the water (bonds with fuel molecules) rather than just a biocide.  This will prevent any water damage to the injectors.

• i30 CRDi

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Just happened to be near the Dealership today when the Engine Management warning light, (on this occasion), remained illuminated - instead of the usual ESP illuminating/off/on/off/on/off & with frequent bouts of LHM, then "clearing" itself whilst accelerating, and EM light occasionally illuminated; not necessarily at the same time as the other two.

Left the vehicle running, Technician connected up the OBD and announced that it indicated a faulty accelerator position sensor. Just lately, when stationary, with the ESP light on the vehicle would tickover at 1200 revs, the ESP light would even illuminate when coasting, things changed daily.

He will obtain a replacement, book the vehicle in for 2 days, (presumably to test), and carry out the work.

Are these not one & the same thing?
They have also replaced the brake light stop switch twice, apart from several other unrelated issues. (from the OP's original)

Or is the TPS at the Throttle body end under the bonnet?
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

.Are these not one & the same thing?
Or is the TPS at the Throttle body end under the bonnet?

No not the same.
It must be under bonnet, not sure where exactly, they now only "need the car for 45 minutes".  They mentioned it could also be this item during last visit, but said Hyundai would only allow 1 thing at a time, and sent me a letter to return it if still faulty, and subsequently offering "a good exchange price" for the vehicle.
Now on the 3rd brake light switch. I have not posted all the vehicle return faults, but there have been other issues, been too busy to "whinge". The ESP light can even illuminate when stationary, as the engine revs climb.
When entering a busy roundabout etc., if in LHM, I have to switch off, coast, and restart in order to accelerate away, especially on any incline :eek: EM light illuminates constantly.
The Service Manager is aware, but  have still had to wait for repairs.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Just to clarify the situation, the paramount problem is that very little power is available; the lack of revs. would not present too much of a problem, indeed it would still be easy to break the national speed limit DOWNHILL.

The vehicle struggles up the slightest incline, and as it slows down, you would be lucky to reach 1750 rpm in any gear :eek:

It simply refuses to accelerate and pull away at even a reasonable pace.

Totally unusable on fast dual carriage or motorways......

Offline Berocca

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia

• 2010 CRDi SX Man CC
Just to clarify the situation, the paramount problem is that very little power is available; the lack of revs. would not present too much of a problem, indeed it would still be easy to break the national speed limit DOWNHILL.

The vehicle struggles up the slightest incline, and as it slows down, you would be lucky to reach 1750 rpm in any gear :eek:

It simply refuses to accelerate and pull away at even a reasonable pace.

Totally unusable on fast dual carriage or motorways......

Sounds just like the symptoms that I had with the fuel bug.  Tried a fuel treatment yet?
  • i30 CRDi

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Sounds just like the symptoms that I had with the fuel bug.  Tried a fuel treatment yet?

No, I will wait until after Tuesday 9th April, when, (imo), they have carried out their final chance to resolve the situation.

Offline Berocca

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia

• 2010 CRDi SX Man CC

No, I will wait until after Tuesday 9th April, when, (imo), they have carried out their final chance to resolve the situation.

You should ask them to check for a fuel bug.  Only problem is that they may bill you for their work as fuel bug / contamination is not covered by warranty (so I found out!) A quick dose of any diesel fuel treatment will let you know after about 24hrs.  Might save you some hassle.
  • i30 CRDi

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

You should ask them to check for a fuel bug.

Commencing with the dealership owner, I asked them all if they had heard of the diesel fuel bug.
None had.

However, the local oil heating tanker delivery drivers, and their office staff had, they used it to decontaminate Domestic & Commercial Oil Heating Tanks, and the respective fuel lines, (into the Oil Boilers), Farm Tractors, Generators, Pumps, etc.

However, I do realise that exactly the same product may not be suitable for my i30.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
@ Interphase

Have a look at this

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=1153BD2D1DD28BCA!234&authkey=!AD0pOyNz9-0W41g

BTW, I have no affiliation with this company.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

@ Interphase
Have a look at this
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=1153BD2D1DD28BCA!234&authkey=!AD0pOyNz9-0W41g
BTW, I have no affiliation with this company.

Thanks Phil, but I feel that the Dealership should make a final attempt to fix it.

If unable they will have to agree to me trying to eradicate a possible fuel bug, without invalidating the warranty.

That's if I choose to tell them, after all their failed attempts :undecided:

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Throttle position sensor replaced within the advised 45 minutes on Tuesday 9th April, and all hinges and locking mechanisms  lubricated :confused:

All round tyre pressures unchanged at 32psi, (ESP light).

Keeping fuel level tank low, (to provoke the fuel bug).

Ok so far, (but early days).

Offline Berocca

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia

• 2010 CRDi SX Man CC

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Fingers Crossed for you! :Good_luck:

Update:

Running perfectly for just over a week now, used daily & the car runs like a dream  :happydance:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Fingers Crossed for you! :Good_luck:

Update:

Running perfectly for just over a week now, used daily & the car runs like a dream  :happydance:

:brilliant:

:Knock:

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Update:
Running perfectly

But....not now - ESP light back on......straight into Limp Home Mode, yet again :(

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sad to hear (you really have been hit with the unlucky stick)  :disapp:

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

I found out about a product called Fuelmaster and gave the company a ring and told them of my predicament.   If anyone out the is having problems such as the 3000 rpm cut out or the engine losing power and cutting out I strongly suggest you give a fuel treatment such as fuelmaster a go.  Fuelmaster is not cheap at $70 per litre, but is does treat 4000L of fuel so will hopefully keep my diesel tanks bug free for some time.

I have approached them and this is the reply:-

I’m sorry we do not have a distributor or a re-seller in the U.K. The product is only sold in Australia & New Zealand so far.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Just an update, still using other vehicles - unable to trust this i30, no time available at the moment to return to Dealership, (been 2 years on/off LHM).
But each day I start the i30 as a "test", I touch nothing but the door to get in and the key to start the vehicle, I do nothing else, ie. release handbrake, engage a gear, or even close the door etc.
Some days it immediately enters Limp Home Mode, some days it doesn't, this does not necessarily concur with the ESP light, which is sometimes On sometimes Off.

When in LHM the tickover speed is 1250 RPM - so you soon realise.

M

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:disapp:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
That's too bad, although with the high percentage of Diesels in Europe there must be a similar product available, surely.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal