i30 Owners Club

Vibration under light power at 2000rpm to 2300rpm

Offline 001steve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hey guys,
Not really new, just had to start fresh (cant get into old email)

So ive been meaning to ask for about a year, hahaha

we have a 2012 i30 1.6 FD crdi, manual
under normal drive lightly conditions it vibrates like your in the wrong gear (almost a under powered shudder)
But, if you drive it harder (almost flat out haha )the vibration disappears???
It only happens at 2000rpm up to about 2300/2400rpm

It wont vibrate at all in neutral either even if you give it a good rev.???
ive checked exhaust mounts and the cvs are good,
eveything else under there seems tight too???

Im thinking its almost like an engine mount?
Anyone else had this? I might post a link to a video on youtube??
  • 2010 fd i30 crdi 5 Spd Man.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Driveshaft out of balance.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline 001steve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Woah i hope not, its done it pretty much since new, for the first 5/6 months we never really noticed it.
We did mention it way back then and were suckered into the whole its a diesel its part of the characteristics of the i30 however...
but only just recently its started getting worse.
so much it will shake coins and anything else loose in the cab.
If you keep at the front of traffic its not an issue haha, but the misses likes to be "careful" :p

i just took it for a drive its exactly 1900rpm up to 2100rpm wont do it in first and only a tiny bit in 5th.

Felt around for vibrations while driving and it feels concentrated below the clutch area, theres a clear noise outside the vehicle when it does it too.

Offline 001steve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Just thinking too, if it was the driveshaft, wouldnt it do it even more under load?? possibly?

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: 001steve
Not really new, just had to start fresh (cant get into old email)

Sent you a PM
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Why isn't it the DMF  :question: :whistler:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline 001steve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
DMF = Dual Mass Flywheel.

The jury's still out as to whether the i30 Diesel's are fitted with them. Vibration in the range of revs specified are similar to other reports. One in particular, is going in for inspection soon. We all wait with anticipation.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
We are not quite sure yet on the Flywheel on the 1.6CRDi. My other thread is tending to indicate it's single mass. I will see soon. My vibration comes down lower in the rev range 1800-2000rpm

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Time will tell.  :razz:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Didn't a new member post something similar not long time ago, but for a 2,0 CRDi.... :question:

This one:   :link: I30 2.0 crdi jerk on off throttle and vibration at 2000 rpm to 2500 rpm
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline 001steve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
oh yeah... dual mass hahah didnt think about that. From what i remember when it was marketed the dual mass was installed as it was seen as a further advance in economy...
But that was when they had 2.0l crdi... not sure about the 1.6fd??
Will have to research it more :) thanks for the thoughts.
we took it in for a service yesterday and the two mechanics said they looked over everything underneath and couldnt find anything loose or rattling, agreed with me in thinking its like a soft engine mount?

Offline 001steve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I was thinking, if it was the flywheel being inbalanced or whatever, wouldnt it be the same as a drive shaft and be more discernible during idle, and heavy power... maybe even neutral ?
maybe im clutching at straws??
Its still under warranty but we haven't been to the kids at hyundai only licensed reputable mechanics since about the 5,000/10,000kms service.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Clutching at straws  :rofl: :goodjob2:

Don't know anything about how a DMF failure presents other than what has been reported here. I have auto's so no DMF. It could be that the weakness is not apparent unless the engine is actually under a particular load. If it is DMF failure, you would expect this problem to increase in severity gradually. I hope for you it's not DMF of course. If it's a soft engine mount, then it shouldn't get worse very quickly IMO.

IIRC, the DMF is simply designed to eliminate the shock of the diesel power stroke being transmitted through the whole gearbox and therefore providing longer gearbox life and a smoother more acceptable ride. This is a result of the popular movement of commercial Diesel's moving from trucks to private cars. It would seem that pollution problems may kill this trend as well.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 23:35:18 by Phil №❶ »

Offline 001steve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hmm yeah, it hasn't been a hugely quick decline, its happened over a few years since the car was new.
Forgot about the auto not having one,  would explain why friends of ours auto crdi doesnt do it...
and yeah your right, supposed pollution controls will kill everything useful off in the not to distant future.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
I was thinking, if it was the flywheel being inbalanced or whatever, wouldnt it be the same as a drive shaft and be more discernible during idle, and heavy power... maybe even neutral ?
maybe im clutching at straws??
Its still under warranty but we haven't been to the kids at hyundai only licensed reputable mechanics since about the 5,000/10,000kms service.
Maybe instead of getting independent mechanics who have limited in depth knowledge of the brand to look at the vehicle you should be considering taking it to the so called "kids" at Hyundai.

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
^Agree, probably more chance of getting a proper diagnosis from a main dealer that are more familiar with the car.  That way you will hopefully get it sorted under warranty as well I would have thought?

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
... we haven't been to the kids at hyundai ...

Please remember that Hyundai Motors around the world regularly monitor our forum, in particular the Problem sections, so please try to keep it respectful, thanks.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline 001steve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
We walked away from hyundai's master service years ago. I dont appologise for the truth.
The way we were treated was a joke, Hyundai were informed of the "dealership" problems...several times. Standover tactics, lies, incorrect knowledge lastly exorbatant service prices.
Just because the sell hyundais doesnt mean they are experts either sadly.
Yes there are a lot of really great master technicians out there, but im yet to find one near me...

The inderpendant mechanic "with limited indepth knowledge" is a trusted mechanic with 30 years of expierience with a combined workshop knowledge of over 150years.
No one in the workshop watches videos and is a "trained technician"
They actually care about customers because they own their own buisness and arent just doing the bare mimimum because their shirts have the car brand on them.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
No apologies required. It's your choice. There must be more than one dealer nearby in Brisbane?

Offline Mac

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Newcastle upon tyne
Hello

I have just posted in another topic started by Lorian re replacement flywheel, ours has similar issue, strong vibration under load. Particularly prevalent in 3rd to 6th gear from 1500 - 1900rpm. 1.6 crdi premium  U2 6spd 2010!

Still waiting on a next step from Hyundai.
  • FD I30 1.6 crdi premium 6spd 2010

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal