i30 Owners Club

Advice on high km diesel i30

AnnamayM · 24 · 10046

Offline AnnamayM

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I am in need of opinions from i30 owners and this seemed like my best bet.

I am looking at buying a 2009 i30 FD SX cw Wagon 5dr Man 5sp 1.6DT and everything about the car looks good. The only issue is that it has 250,000km on the clock. It has had one owner, regular services, no mechanical issues and is a country car according to the seller.

I normally wouldn't look at a small car with high km, but I know plenty of people with diesel cars that have gone for over 500,000km. If this was a Hilux or a Patrol I wouldn't hesitate but I don't know a lot about smaller diesel cars. I am having trouble finding information on the life expectancy or any know issues with the older models.

I have only recently moved to a new area and haven't found a mechanic I trust yet so I would appreciate any information people have for me!

Is there anyone here who owns an older model with similar km that can pass on their experiences or has any advice about what I should look for when I look at the car?

Thanks,

Anna
  • 2009 Hyundai i30 SX Manual Diesel

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The Diesel engine is generally renowned as a very reliable engine. However, the engine is only one aspect, one should know, if possible, how it has been driven and SERVICED. Any possibility of retrieving the service history from Hyundai,or at least knowing if it actually has been serviced.

Basically, you want a good car overall, not just engine, so unless it's an offer too good to miss, you can always compare to other i30's with a better service record.

Having said that, it could be a great car, as none of us have seen it. Do you have a friendly mechanical person who could help you find what you're looking for :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline AnnamayM

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Thank for the quick reply!

It is a private sale and I am meeting the owner on Saturday to have a look. I've just found out a friends uncle lives nearby who is a mechanic and will take a look for me.

I have spoken with the owner and she says that she has never had any major issues with the car and that it has been serviced regularly. She says that the reason for the high kn is that they live 100km from town so the majority of the km's are highway driving.

Have you heard of any major issues that are common in the older diesel models?

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :wttc:
If it checks out mechanically and service history-wise, I would be OK with it, especially being a manual.
Just do your due diligence as with any other vehicle purchase and enjoy it.
What sort of driving would you be doing with it?
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Anna and  :welcome:

A manual Diesel CW is a great combo. The Diesel Engine and manual gearbox have been fairly bullet proof.

Listen for a noisy turbo whistle (a faint whistle is fine) and give it a good run taking note of how the clutch feels.

The high mileage will be helpful in you negotiating a relatively low price.

I think a good drive will soon give you some idea of how tired (or otherwise) the car is. Good luck with it!  :goodjob:

If you were in Tassie I would be happy to come and help you check it out!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AnnamayM

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Thanks for the welcome Guys!!

I would mostly be driving around town but my family live 6 hours away and I head back to visit a lot.

I want to get a car that I can keep for a while but due to budget it needs to be second hand. Husband and I are trying for a baby so it needs to have enough space for all the stuff that we need when we head away, plus baby gear. I really love the i30 but the boot on the hatch isn't quite big enough to fit all that plus a pram so it needs to be a wagon. Unfortunately finding a diesel wagon is like trying to spot a unicorn.

I've only seen one other in reasonable distance to me and after a short conversation with the owner there is no way I trust what they're saying enough to even make the drive to view it. The one I'm looking at seems to good to be true and I really don't want to get ripped off. The only issue is the high km so if it all checks out on the weekend hopefully I can join the club for real.

I will add the turbo noise to the list of things to check out. Thanks for the info Dazzler!!

Any other major issues that you know of?

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

As Dazz said, the diesel manual wagons are a good thing and they are popular on the used car market. Plus unicorns are few and far between.   :lol:
If you're happy with the car and happy with the deal, then........
Most turbos have some "whistle" so providing it's not too bad I wouldn't be overly concerned.
I'm hoping that our resident (award-winning) Hyundai technician might see this thread and give his opinion.  :fingers:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi AnnamayM

:wttc:

I have a 2008 Diesel with 244.000 km on the odo and it runs like new.  :goodjob2:  No major issues with the car in the 4,5 years I've had the car.

If the one you're looking at is serviced regularly and looks & drive fine, go for it. You won't be disappointed. I expect to have mine for at least another 100.000 km....  :mrgreen:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
How much baby gear are you planing on taking?

We fit one of those stupidly massive prams in the boot and two kids car seats in the hatch no worries. With one child, you could also fold a seat down for extra luggage.

That said, you can fit heaps in the wagon, and you get just that little bit more room in the back to allow for the car seat.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I agree with everyone here , also a car that drives 100k to town the oil will always be at operating temps so lubricates better less wear.

Also check the car has never had accident, as in country common to hit a Roo. they are never as good if been repaired. so have that checked out.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I agree with everyone here , also a car that drives 100k to town the oil will always be at operating temps so lubricates better less wear.

Also check the car has never had accident, as in country common to hit a Roo. they are never as good if been repaired. so have that checked out.

Good point John! That would be roo'd if they tried to hide that!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Good point John! That would be roo'd if they tried to hide that!

And they will if they kan.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 08:16:00 by Doggie 1 »
  • Tertius the i30

Offline AnnamayM

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Hi Guys!

When I first spoke to the owner she told me straight up that she had hit a roo a couple of years ago. Said the brakes work well and that the damage was only superficial. I will get the full details of the accident on Saturday and get my mechanic friend to look at it. If it all looks ok I'm hoping to use that and the high km to get the price as low as possible.

I've had a look at a couple of 08/09 model hatches and the boot doesn't seem big enough for us, especially with how often we head away. If we have a pram, portacot, and a bag of baby gear as well as what we normally take away with us it just doesn't look like it would be enough space. I'd also like to avoid needing to buy a car between baby 1 & 2.

Thanks so much for all the info guys. You've all been really helpful and it's helped me a lot.  :thanx:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
How much they asking?

Offline AnnamayM

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
$7000 but I'm hoping to get it for less if everything checks out.

Any idea on what I should be asking for? I haven't seen any others close to the km this one has so it's hard to guess.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Hey Anna,
   While reading through this ive been trying to think of what i could add for you to check on.

Ive got a couple of 200+km i30's that i see.
One is a goverment car and you can really tell. Always serviced correctly and besides a bit of a turbo whistle  :whistler: it is mechanically fine, but it feels a bit run down.
The other i can think of is a well looked after privately owned and to drive it you would expect it to only have 1/4 of the km's.

The Diesel is very reliable, although the fuel system can be very temperamental if it has had any bad fuel. Injectors and high pressure pump and can get expensive. Ask where they get their fuel from.

The gearbox i expect to be almost perfect seeing as it does mainly highway km's. Not something you'd check during inspection but the gear oil doesnt have a scheduled replacement. Ask if the gear oil has been changed. Preferably twice by now.

Drill them about service history, particularly if its been serviced by a non-Hyundai service provider. I dont care what anyone says theres still way too many independant guys that still dont do services by scedule. Especially once the km's go past the scedules listed in the owners manual.

Otherwise if your friends uncle has his wits about him he'll be able to pick up any general issues.

Best of luck.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Hey Anna,
   While reading through this ive been trying to think of what i could add for you to check on.

Ive got a couple of 200+km i30's that i see.
One is a goverment car and you can really tell. Always serviced correctly and besides a bit of a turbo whistle  :whistler: it is mechanically fine, but it feels a bit run down.
The other i can think of is a well looked after privately owned and to drive it you would expect it to only have 1/4 of the km's.

The Diesel is very reliable, although the fuel system can be very temperamental if it has had any bad fuel. Injectors and high pressure pump and can get expensive. Ask where they get their fuel from.

The gearbox i expect to be almost perfect seeing as it does mainly highway km's. Not something you'd check during inspection but the gear oil doesnt have a scheduled replacement. Ask if the gear oil has been changed. Preferably twice by now.

Drill them about service history, particularly if its been serviced by a non-Hyundai service provider. I dont care what anyone says theres still way too many independant guys that still dont do services by scedule. Especially once the km's go past the scedules listed in the owners manual.

Otherwise if your friends uncle has his wits about him he'll be able to pick up any general issues.

Best of luck.

Listen to this guy, AnnamayM.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

If it drives well and the service records look ok, It would be a bargain at around 6.5K

We had a CW after having a hatch and the CW has a lot more useable load area with the seats up.

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Hi AnnamayM!

I own an 09 i30cw diesel 5spd.
It has been an excellent car and is currently sitting on 140,000km and feels like it has plenty of life left in it.

Boot space in it is definitely a plus and when you fold the sets down it turns into a massive space with the higher roof.

Being an owner of one I'd suggest:
- check for a whistle in the turbo. This noise is perfectly normal when you're accelerating between 1900-3000rpm. If you find that your crusing and can still hear the whistle like a faint ambulance in the background, then it may be an issue.
- startup. Make sure the car is cold when you go to test drive it. See if the car starts rough and blows large amounts of smoke in start up. If so it could possibly be failing glow plugs or a dirty/faulty MAF sensor.
- Manual transmission - more of a heads up then anything. I'm trying to think of the word to describe the feel of the gear change on the 5spd... It's smooth shifting in action, but can be a bit notchy sometimes. - all the cars I test drove felt like this so I've taken it as being normal.

If you're new to a diesel car, you'll have to get used to changing gears a bit more often to keep the car between 1900-3000rpm. Totally normal.

I love how much torque the little diesel has. I tow a Jayco camper with ours and it does great!

Fuel economy - Expect to get between 4.8-5.6 litres per 100km
Mine only uses 7.5 litres while towing!

Lastly - if you want to keep the boot clean invest in a cargo mat.

All the best with the test drive!
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
As a guide In August I sold a 2010 auto CW with 136k on the clock and 5 months rego for 9k. It was in excellent condition.

I would have a good look at carsales for lower k examples and use this to drive down the price. Coming into Christmas I doubt there are many people looking to outlay cash on a car.....

As an aside, is it this one? :link: 2009 Hyundai i30 SX Manual MY09

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
I did a search based on the OP's example. Here's a list of them.

Administrator Comment For link, see :link: Advice on high km diesel i30

Looks like that Anna's is in the ballpark, price-wise.

Good luck with it.
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Sorry. Tried to paste the URL from my browser into the message box but the editor keeps wrecking it.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Is this what you were trying to post, Martin?  :)

linky thingy
Yeah, pretty much. Not that experienced with these forum codes. But for some reason it was terminating the link code half way into the copy/pasted URL...

Anyway, that list should give her an idea as to where her prospective vehicle sits. Good luck with it!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal