i30 Owners Club

Limp Home Mode

Offline robreign

• 1st Gear
Hi , last week I bought a 2010 1.6 crdi 6 speed, took it on a 400km round trip over the weekend and all was good, driving home from work today and it went into limp mode with the cel? light flashing, I pulled in and switched it off and on again and the light is still flashing but power had come back, I'm now at home and just wondering what do I do, it's not an official Hyundai garage I got it from but it has a three month warranty on it, will they know the problem and be able to fix it do you think? what is the most likely problem? will a good long drive clear the filter or is it a sensor?

sorry I know f all about cars sorry

Administrator Comment Split from :link: Limp Home Mode
  • 2010 1.6 crdi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Rob and :welcum:

Sorry to hear that.  Limp home mode can have a number of causes, but the most likely is as you suspect related in some way to the fuel filter or a fuel issue.

I'm on tapatalk at the moment so not so easy to search for appropriate threads. See if anyone else comes up with more info shortly.

Otherwise put "limp home mode" into our search engine on a pc and read all the senarios.

If no result by later in the day I'll do the same and post some links here. A bit complcated to explain the various possibilities otherwise.

P.S. Unlikely to clear itself unfortunately. ..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline robreign

• 1st Gear
thanks very much, I really can't afford it to be an ongoing issue where I bring it back every week cause I rely on the car to get to work etc, hopefully it's a quick fix !
  • 2010 1.6 crdi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Here's some thread links as promised @robreign

It's not as common as these threads probably suggest (many have never experienced it)

It's designed to protect the drivetrain when a problem is detected and is mostly a CRDi issue.

It can be triggered by an auto trans fault too I think. I haven't culled the links (some may help more than others)

:link: My 2011 i30 intermittently goes into limp home mode.

:link: 2008 i30 turbo diesel not revving over 3000rpm

:link: Sudden 3k rev limit

:link: No power when you put the foot down!

:link: Limp Home Mode

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
When the MIL is flashing it is more urgent to get it looked at with minimal driving.

If the selling dealer can't figure out the fault you should push for them to send it to the Hyundai dealer for diag. The 3 month warranty is there, use it.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline robreign

• 1st Gear
Update: So I started it today and the light was still flashing, I tried to see if it would go into limp mode again by driving it hard enough but it drove perfectly, so in the user manual it says to drive it for around half an hour on a motorway and if the light doesn't go off to bring it to a garage, so I did that and the light went off after about half an hour after i had switched it off and on again after 30 mins+ driving on the motorway.

So should I leave it for the moment and if it happens again bring it to the garage? . bare in mind that I had left the car for 12 hours in the cold while i was in work before driving it on a short trip home and probably drove it a bit hard before limp mode engaged
  • 2010 1.6 crdi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm not qualified to answer that one. What do you guys think? @cruiserfied @nzenigma

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I believe the flashing light indicate the DPF needs regenerating and that's what happen when you give it a trip on the motorway. It doesn't have to be motorway, just needs to run with 2000+ revs for some time.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I believe the flashing light indicate the DPF needs regenerating and that's what happen when you give it a trip on the motorway. It doesn't have to be motorway, just needs to run with 2000+ revs for some time.

By george, you might be on to something there. Being we don't have the DPF in Oz it is easy to overlook that possibility!  :victory:

Offline robreign

• 1st Gear

so when it went into limp mode initially would that all add up , like it went into limp mode because of the DPF warning ?
  • 2010 1.6 crdi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

so when it went into limp mode initially would that all add up , like it went into limp mode because of the DPF warning ?
Had you been doing lots of low speed short trips before it occurred?

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
 :head_knock: :head_knock: :head_knock: :head_knock: :head_knock:
Friggin DPF. I knew as soon as you mentioned 1/2 hour drive. My apologies, as Dazz said no DPF on the I30 in Australia so it didn't click.
I would expect it was just in need of a regeneration.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal