i30 Owners Club

Issue with 2015 i30 Headunit

Offline jimbo1106

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      WA
The headunit (radio) on my 2015 i30 is constantly resetting itself.

It will power up, show the Hyundai logo, then immediately lose power - reboots, Hyundai logo, and loses power again. Over and over again. Sometimes it works fine, but 80% of the time it is rebooting itself. Turning off the display (audio still playing) seems to alleviate the issues temporarily.

Nothing wrong with the fuses, doesn't seem to be affected by driving over bumps (so probably not a loose cable) and works fine when the ignition isn't turned on. It is insanely hot where i'm at at the moment, and it seems to work slightly better on cold days.

Went to a car stereo shop and the guy told me it's a big issue with the radios, and it will eventually die. Cost of aftermarket stereo will be $1000 (AUD) ;(

If anyone has experienced similar issues or has some advice it would be much appreciated. I'd like to try updating the firmware so if anyone has a link for the GD-02 firmware update that would be a big help.
  • 2015 Hyundai i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You would likely have the latest firmware at five years old, there wouldn't be any more after one or two years from release.

GD-01 and GD-02 non navigation units are known for being unreliable, the simplest option is obtaining yourself a GD-03 unit which is basically a direct swap over and you'll get the Android/Apple car play features  :)

Offline jimbo1106

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      WA
Hey thanks for the advice.

Would you reccommend i buy a GD-03 unit off eBay/from a wreckers and pay someone to install it?

Seems like the cheapest option - i suppose i could go aftermarket as well but i kind of want to stick with stock(ish) parts
  • 2015 Hyundai i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yep, grab one off eBay - wreckers, I bought from Stanvac wreckers whom don't cut the cables though they maybe a bit more pricey than Jap Wreck.

It's very easy to install yourself and there's a whole topic devoted to doing so :link: HOW TO: UPGRADE YOUR GD-01/GD-02 TO A GD-03 HEAD UNIT STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE

You'll also require the usb module and connecting usb cable

NOTE - GD-03 units don't have a CD player, if this is a concern you'll want aftermarket.

Offline jimbo1106

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      WA
Alright thanks so much!!

Constantly feel like i'm being ripped off by car related people and i did read that guide seems somewhat straightforward.

:)
  • 2015 Hyundai i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Here's the Stanvac contact details :link: New/Recycled Korean Parts | Stanvac Korean Auto Parts | Lonsdale SA

Mention Craig from the i30 owners club and you might possibly get a sweeter deal :Prayer: I've driven quite a few sales for them :) ask for the cable and usb module and they'll throw it all in without cutting it in half.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal