i30 Owners Club

New car, new problems

Offline Craig 84

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      County Durham
Hi all, just bought a 2009 i30 estate 1.6 crdi premium. Having a few little problems, the trip switch doesn't work, the blowers are a sporadic and sometimes don't come on or go off then back on again randomly and the air con doesn't feel cold.

Have checked fuses and nothing found, checked fuses in the engine bay and again nothing found. Although the diagram on the engine bay depicts another row of fuses that aren't there. Haven't had the chance yet to check if the compressor is running when the a/c is on and probably needs a recharge,

Any advice? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 2009 i30 estate, premium.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
How long have you had the car?

Was it private or dealer!

If dealer, did you get warranty .
If  so, take it back for them to fix.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Craig 84

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      County Durham
Bought it private and only had it a week

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Craig. That's disappointing, tricky with a private sale at times.  I'm guessing the sellers knew these faults, hopefully you saved more than enough buying privately to cover a few minor tweaks..Sounds like the a/c needs a recharge. Intermittent fan operation sounds like a dodgy connection.  Might have to just get a pad and pencil to track your trip distances (that's an odd fault!)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Craig 84

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      County Durham
Welcome Craig. That's disappointing, tricky with a private sale at times.  I'm guessing the sellers knew these faults, hopefully you saved more than enough buying privately to cover a few minor tweaks..Sounds like the a/c needs a recharge. Intermittent fan operation sounds like a dodgy connection.  Might have to just get a pad and pencil to track your trip distances (that's an odd fault!)
Thanks, I know and it's a bit frustrating I was wanting to check what mpg I was getting but instead it's stuck on miles until empty

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks, I know and it's a bit frustrating I was wanting to check what mpg I was getting but instead it's stuck on miles until empty

Brim to brim manual calculations are much more accurate anyway, than the trip computer. You could try disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for 30mins +  to reset the ecu. This fixes odd faults at times. Hopefully you won't need a radio code after...

Offline Craig 84

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      County Durham

Brim to brim manual calculations are much more accurate anyway, than the trip computer. You could try disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for 30mins +  to reset the ecu. This fixes odd faults at times. Hopefully you won't need a radio code after...
Bit dubious about that, if I have the option I'd much prefer tunes to trip

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Our members do it all the time without a problem.  Not sure why, but radio usually still works ok. I just haven't needed to do it myself, so can't speak from experience.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I presume you know where the "TRIP" button is located. :D
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Craig 84

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      County Durham
I presume you know where the "TRIP" button is located. :D
It did take me a while to find it, it's not in the most common of places. But I could press it all day long and it does nothing

Offline Craig 84

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      County Durham
Another problem I'm having, if I accelerate from cruising in a 30 zone, the car seems to bog down before accelerating. Anyone had anything similar?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
What gear are you in at 30mph/48kph? if you're cruising along in top gear I'd think in a diesel you would have to drop back to at least 4th when wanting to pull away, be at least 3rd in a petrol.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 18:36:42 by CraigB »

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: CraigB
What gear are you in at 30mph/48kph?

My guess would be jeans, trainers and a t-shirt.

Quote from: Craig 84
if I accelerate from cruising in a 30 zone, the car seems to bog down
As CraigB asked, what gear? I know if I try that in 4th, I'll struggle to get going.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Quote from: CraigB
What gear are you in at 30mph/48kph?

My guess would be jeans, trainers and a t-shirt.
:lol:

Offline Craig 84

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      County Durham
In 3rd. It's doesn't feel the same as if I'm in too low a gear. It feels more like the car cuts out for a moment and then normal service resumes.

And Shambles, you were spot on. Would it make a difference if I was in shorts and flip flops?

Offline Craig 84

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      County Durham
Should have read "too high a gear..."

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Another problem I'm having, if I accelerate from cruising in a 30 zone, the car seems to bog down before accelerating. Anyone had anything similar?

In my 2008 which have same gearing as yours, I can accellerate from 50 km/h in 4th gear but not if just flooring it, then it will hesitate a little..
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Craig 84

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      County Durham
I don't think that's quite the same thing. It doesn't feel as if the engine is overloaded and struggling to pull, it feels like the car forgets to add fuel for one cycle then goes back to normal

Offline ABSi30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      The great Co. Durham.
Hi Craig,
I have had my battery disconnected as the battery clamp had been fitted  not right so it gave me a chance to clean around the battery tray. When all done the radio worked no code needed I think the radio stations had to be locked in. Every thing else worked fine. Give it a try. Anything else pm me I am in the city of the Prince Bishops. :goodjob2:
  • 2011 Comfort. 5door diesel 1.6 CRDi auto White.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I don't think that's quite the same thing. It doesn't feel as if the engine is overloaded and struggling to pull, it feels like the car forgets to add fuel for one cycle then goes back to normal

Isn't that just turbo lag..?  The i30 CRDi is not very quick to respond on the accellerator input...  :undecided:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline ABSi30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      The great Co. Durham.
Mine is the 1.6 CRDi auto 4 speed. The take up on mine is instant. I would have thought that the manual box gave the same response. There again it depends on how many miles is on the authors vehicle. Also the service history may not have been kept up to date.

Offline ABSi30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      The great Co. Durham.
Just remembered Craig if you download from the App Store on iPad iPhone or android the mot checker app. It gives you history on your vehicle including mot's mileage failures etc. Hope this helps.

Offline Craig 84

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      County Durham
Service has been done annually with the mot. The mot checker is available online too, we looked at that before going to see the car and was impressed by how little notes there have been on the advisories

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
If there is hesitation or the acceleration is a bit jumpy, you might want to change the fuel filter. Unless it is clearly stated that the filter has been changed. My car had old filter in it eventhough it was "serviced". These old diesels seem to be picky with fuel filters. And if you change it, buy OEM. Getting cheap 3rd party filters may cause even more issues. Been there, done that...
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Craig 84

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      County Durham
If there is hesitation or the acceleration is a bit jumpy, you might want to change the fuel filter. Unless it is clearly stated that the filter has been changed. My car had old filter in it eventhough it was "serviced". These old diesels seem to be picky with fuel filters. And if you change it, buy OEM. Getting cheap 3rd party filters may cause even more issues. Been there, done that...
I'll give that a go, thanks.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal