Author Topic: 2011 Diesel i30, subtle engine surge/ turbo spooling at idle (annoying)  (Read 767 times)

• au Australia
Hello!

First time owner and first time poster. I have purchased a very clean auto diesel 2011 i30. It only has 16000ks on the clock and was used by an old couple, rarely.

I have noticed a small surge that is very annoying and makes driving a little sickening. It is most noticeable when cold and can be noticed most when driving very slowly just above idle. Or even when slightly stalling the transmission. The engine will rattle away as normal and then bump up 50rpm and you can hear the turbo spool, and then back to normal. It cycles through this behaviour about 1 second for each. You can just notice it at higher speeds hot or cold but as mentioned itís subtle.

I got the codes checked and found P0401 Exhaust gas circulation amount insufficient. I have cleared that code and have since had 30 cold starts and 1000klms and there is no codes. The behaviour never changed. Still surging.

Is this a normal behaviour of the diesel i30, some sort of emissions thing? Is it so subtle that the majority donít notice it?

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated

Also, I know the battery is original. Itís getting tired. The starter solenoid sometimes clicks but doesnít crank. Seperate issue *Iím not 100% sure if this is a starter problem or a soggy battery.

That aside, the resting and charge voltage is acceptable for a lead acid battery, and the engine cranks (when it does engage) without an issue - just not as snappy as a new batt would. Iím unsure if a tired battery could affect my above problem, but as mentioned the charge voltage is as normal.

Thx

Ian

• 2011 CRDi i30 16000ks

• Laughter is the best medicine. .
  • au Australia
    Devonport Tasmania
  • Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Ian,

I'm on my way out so just a quick answer by my standards...   :winker:

Had 4 x i30's but only the 1st one was a CRDi and mine was a manual. Can't say I recall a surge but might be more noticeable in an auto.

I do recall something similar being described on here (but only once or twice)

If nobody comes up with more info before I get home I'll do some searching.

Might just need a good long drive or two. I doubt the battery is to blame but it is possible I guess.  :goodjob:
  • MY18 PD SR & 2014 1.6 GDi Tourer (Prev had 2008  i30 CRDi & MY11 Petrol CW)

Ohh cheers, sometimes finding an issue like this is more difficult when your searching different terms to what others have described. I have had a pretty good look around google etc. Others have described A more noticeable if not more aggressive surge which is obviously different.

I have been for a few good long runs and even given it stick to burn out any cobwebs (not that this is a rocket ship haha). It likely never got driven hard in its previous life. (Also, This is a Non-DPF version)

I have changed the battery with another working one (not new), and initial indications suggest itís rectified. Although I did find the same immediately after resetting the codes 1000kms ago. Having the battery disconnected for a few minutes may have had the same effect - that being said it had no codes this time around?

Alas, see if anyone else has experienced what I describe. For anyone familiar with cars mechanically would have picked up on it, as itís ever so slightly annoying.

Side note: This second battery has me thinking I will need to change the starter, the solenoid doesnít always pass current through. *sigh
  • 2011 CRDi i30 16000ks

• au Australia
    Devonport Tasmania
Although it hasn't done a lot of miles might have had a lot of short trips (just as hard on the starter motor) Bit of a bugger! Hopefully someone can advise the cheapest way to get a new starter motor.

Well, hereís the update. *FIXED*

Since putting a brand new battery in, the surge is gone.

It was getting so annoying! When driving gently it felt like it was changing gears all the time. And idle you could hear it spool the turbo on and off.

My only thought is, swapping the battery reset a malfunctioning computer and or the tired battery was pulling a lot of current loading up alternator and possibly hitting some form of protection circuit causing engine load to pulse on and off?

Who knows!! The old ďBOBOĒ fixes all sorts of issues (Battery on Battery off)

Iíll tackle the starter motor solenoid issue another day! 

Thx for the inputs!
  • 2011 CRDi i30 16000ks

• au Australia
    Devonport Tasmania
 :goodjob:

Yes, we often advise new members to disconnect the negative terminal of their battery for at least 30 minutes to reset the BCM. In a previous job I used to get customers to unplug their electrical appliances for a similar period to fix many hiccups and it worked more than 50% of the time!   :cool:

anything