i30 Owners Club

I30 1.6 CRDI 2011 Cold Start Problem

Markie · 27 · 7985

Offline Markie

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Lancashire
Hi. My car developed a problem today. Normally from cold the engine coil light goes out after a second and the car starts. Today, twice from cold, the light goes off and comes back on when I turnover, thus stopping power gertibg to the starter motor. From warm it starts ok. Do I have a faulty sensor?

Thanks Mark
  • I30 2011 Estate Diesel (ex cop car)

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
First the obvoius: are you letting the coils finishing heating before turning the ignition, if so try letting the coils heat twice before turning the ignition(go back one notch and let the coils heat again).

Im guessing temps are about 5-10c over in england right now, should be a 3-5sec coil heat before the light goes out.

Could be a faulty sensor, if the light goes out to fast breaking the current to the coil heaters prematurly.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline Markie

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Lancashire
Hi thanks for the info. It was about 3 degrees this morning then 10 on the way home. It has never done this before. The light only stays on for about 2 seconds. If it is a sensor, do you know which one it could be,

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
light goes off and comes back on when I turnover, thus stopping power gertibg to the starter motor. From warm it starts ok.

:confused: turnover what?? are you saying that the starter motor does not work?

as xiziz states, the glow plugs need longer heat up time in the cold. But, cold or hot, they don't inhibit the starter motor ..
Is your battery ok?
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
light goes off and comes back on when I turnover, thus stopping power gertibg to the starter motor. From warm it starts ok.

:confused: turnover what?? are you saying that the starter motor does not work?

as xiziz states, the glow plugs need longer heat up time in the cold. But, cold or hot, they don't inhibit the starter motor ..
Is your battery ok?
Ditto, I'm thinking also possible bad, dirty or corroded connections since it is cranking(turnover)
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Markie

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Lancashire
I believe the stater wont crank if there's not enough amps.

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
I dont think there is a sensor on the coils, probably uses the ambient sensor and a look up table(in the computer) to determine the time needed to heat the coils. Is the ambient sensor accurate?

I feel two seconds is too little for 3c, about right for 10c though. So if the problem is on both, it might be something else. Im sure one of our resident mechanics will be along with some ideas shortly.

What oil is in the engine and what kind of oil if you know. When was the oil last replaced? Mileage of the car is also helpful. Im thinking it might be old/dirty oil since it seems to work once the oil is warm.

Although Ive never had a problem starting mine, even in -25, coils needed 17seconds then. And that was running 5w30(i now run 0w30) but it was new and I still have fairly low mileage on mine, 78k km atm.

PS. Battery is plausable too, as stated above - they loose power in the cold. And both coils and starter are energy hungry.

Offline Markie

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Lancashire
I'm using 5w30. Oil change was 2k ago and car dine 100k. The ambient sensor is showing the correct temperature.

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi. My car developed a problem today. Normally from cold the engine coil light goes out after a second and the car starts. Today, twice from cold, the light goes off and comes back on when I turnover, thus stopping power gertibg to the starter motor. From warm it starts ok. Do I have a faulty sensor?

Thanks Mark
As asked by NZE...when the problem exists, does the starter turn the motor over at all? Or is there stoney-cold silence?

Offline Markie

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Lancashire
Silence but a clicking sound. A mechanic told me that if the car doesn't have enough amps the car won't suppy any power to the starter motor. I didn't have this problem last winter.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Paolo  :goodjob2: thanks mate :sweating:

Markie, your battery is probably stuffed. Last winter it was a year younger. During summer it will work better.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 02:04:48 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The change of season discovers many a battery. The diesel is very demanding so choose your replacement well.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Before you chaange battery ask for Drop Test.

That will tell if battery on it way out..... and if so change sooner rather than later as it will let you down when less convient.....
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

That will tell if battery on it way out..... .....

Thanks Lester  :goodjob: Just in case someone wants to DIY this, what height do you usually drop your battery from?

Here's a more complex drop-kick test using meters and stuff,  :link: How to perform a VOLTAGE DROP TEST - YouTube

Offline Markie

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Lancashire
Hi guys. Found out my postive battery terminal was corroded. Cleaned it and the car starts great and seens to run better. Thanks for your help.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi guys. Found out my postive battery terminal was corroded. Cleaned it and the car starts great and seens to run better. Thanks for your help.

Excellent!   :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I'd call that a win. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
Perfect, cheap n quick fixes are the best!

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

That will tell if battery on it way out..... and if so change sooner rather than later as it will let you down when less convient.....

Is that like a drop bear?

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

In the name of science_ THE DROP TEST

Up to 13volts  :victory: as it passed our 2nd floor window.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Yep, always start with the simple stuff. :goodjob2:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

:rofl:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW

13 volts, not bad, bet it dropped away real quick from tbere though   :whistler:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

13 volts, not bad, bet it dropped away real quick from tbere though   :whistler:

Yep. sadly only 5 volts during the 1st floor rebound.  :wacko:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
But isn't it obvious the drop test would result in a dead short to earth? :confused:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :D

But isn't it obvious the drop test would result in a dead short to earth? :confused:

Only in the light of day.....but that broke too.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
You are the king of the one liners, Amazing

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal