i30 Owners Club

Broken driver's electric / power window.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hello people.

6 1/2 y.o. 2011 FD i30.

1 week ago I noticed the driver's power window was giving a loud snap or crack every time I when to start move it up or down. Loudest at when it was at the very bottom coming up or top coming down.

I wondered hmmm. Window is still working. Can this wait until the next service in a few months?

Today question answered:
window making a louder clunk when getting to the bottom and rattling the whole door. Moved it up and down a few times to check, then LOUD CRACK noise and the window stops working.  :Shocked: :Shocked: :disapp:

It remains 3/4 up but then in the process of driving, slowly sinks further and further down into door. Now nothing to hear when using the button.

Now something has broken in the window mechanism. The initial snap / crack sound was happening while the window and motor were still working. Does this indicate some sort of broken clip in the mechanism.

Will this be a single replaceable part or involve the whole electric window mechanism?

Is this going to be a cheap or expensive fix?

I'm lucky the next 3-4 days are sunny with no rain predicted.

I plan on taking it to my independent mechanic tomorrow. Should they have access to info on how to disassemble the door to fix this sort of thing? Or is this something Hyundai purposefully does not share.

As expected my 3 year dealer extended warranty is not worth the paper it's written on and does not cover this (I expected this hence why I have chosen not to service it at the dealership after warranty)

I've had a look at some of the other threads but not sure if this is a problem with the window guides, motor etc.

Any assistance before I chat to the mechanic is appreciated.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Mate,

Sorry to hear that. Bit of a pain in the ass isn't it. Gerard ( @tw2005  ) is a bit of a guru on these I think. Hopefully he can give you the heads up.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Broken window regulator. $400 out of my hip pocket. Hopefully the rest of the car remains reliable. Still planning on keeping it for another year or two.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Broken window regulator. $400 out of my hip pocket. Hopefully the rest of the car remains reliable. Still planning on keeping it for another year or two.

Ouch! Fingers crossed for a good run from now on.  A 6 speed diesel FD is still a great car, worth a lot more to you than what you would be offered as a trade.  :goodjob:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
too late to help it seems. Sounds like you replaced the whole assembly? If so did you keep the failed unit? A $7 part to fix if you can DIY and the cables are not mangled. aftermarket mounts. Was it the mount towards the lock end of the door where the glass is largest?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I was told cable snapped. Hyundai Australia don't sell the parts separately.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
:link: i30 - Window regulator repair kit

Correct. Although by your description sounds more likely the plastic mounts. They fracture get noisy then snap crackle and pop. Got 2 cars both identical failures.  Possibly the cable may have been mangled in the operation after failure ss it would simply bind up. Basically if it's getting noisy it's close to going.when it does you don't operate the electrics. Then just a matter of new mount.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I resisted buying a whole new window riser kit several times over for Mrs G's SEAT Cordoba. For a nil cost finish, I squeezed every last bit of structural integrity from the brittle plastic carriages. Once they crack, the cable lets go. I used binding wire and glue and some re-cutting of notches in the remaining plastic in order to bring it back to original performance (I think on three windows). :rolleyes:

If I had to do it again these days, I'd be tempted to 3D print them and sell them on eBay. :D
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Correct. Although by your description sounds more likely the plastic mounts. They fracture get noisy then snap crackle and pop. Got 2 cars both identical failures.  Possibly the cable may have been mangled in the operation after failure ss it would simply bind up. Basically if it's getting noisy it's close to going.when it does you don't operate the electrics. Then just a matter of new mount.

You should have made a YouTube video. Then I might have been confident to attempt it myself.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

You should have made a YouTube video. Then I might have been confident to attempt it myself.
i I think there may be one out there. Handy with the tools no good with video production.  Elantra is another way to search as they're the same platform.  The hardest bit I find is all the harnesses and connectors.

What I was driving to earlier was if you had the old assembly you could refurbish it for next time but if the car is going to be replaced in the near future understandably not a concern. 

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Hello, after replacing the mount in mine, I made sure the runners were clean and had lubricant (I used teflon based dry spray). Some like graphite and some like silicone. I then timed the left and right sides to see if they were similar. The freshly lubricated side was a lot faster. All windows then got the clean and lube.  The kit  I got came with 2 new cables a new motor pulley and two clips

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The Good Wife's divers window went a while ago. Still under warranty luckily....

I fixed a window in a XF Falcon by wedging it closed with a bolt. Worked a treat.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline el robbo

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
too late to help it seems. Sounds like you replaced the whole assembly? If so did you keep the failed unit? A $7 part to fix if you can DIY and the cables are not mangled. aftermarket mounts. Was it the mount towards the lock end of the door where the glass is largest?

Hi mate, I have just had EXACTLY the same issue as the OP, drivers window was clicking, last night it gave a mighty crack and dropped. It's still at least partly connected, I can raise it and force it back up where it belongs with my hands.

Please tell me about this non-bloody expensive fix you have. I'm all ears :D

Robbo
  • 2011 i30 CRDi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Well to put it into context you have to order some replacement guides so it's cheaper but also slow unless you can find local seller.

:link: 2 Pieces Window Regulator Repair Clips Brackets Front Right Door for Hyundai I3 | eBay

Done four of these RHS front and Mrs came home last week, Honey the left side went bang. :crazy1:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 09:46:27 by tw2005 »

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Had  to correct previous post, bloody seller had RH in description was then LH. :spitty:

Offline el robbo

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW

I guess I asked for that... :P

Well to put it into context you have to order some replacement guides so it's cheaper but also slow unless you can find local seller.

:link: 2 Pieces Window Regulator Repair Clips Brackets Front Right Door for Hyundai I3 | eBay

Done four of these RHS front and Mrs came home last week, Honey the left side went bang. :crazy1:

Thanks heaps mate. I'm dismantling the door tonight, so hopefully it'll just be the clips that need replacing.

Robbo
  • 2011 i30 CRDi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

I guess I asked for that... :P

Thanks heaps mate. I'm dismantling the door tonight, so hopefully it'll just be the clips that need replacing.

Robbo
Interesting. So what's the plan if you have no parts? Bit of work involved including harness removals etc, expect to snap at least one panel clip(blue ones), expect some difficulty disconnecting the harness connector from the door lock.

The inner panel has locating pegs that lock in and has to be slid forward to unlatch the plastic fingers that locate into the door lock assembly.

window will have to be lowered so you can access the bolts that clamp it, yeah, I reckon by the time you get it out, you'd had enough. I know I'm getting bored with the process. :head_butt:

Offline el robbo

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW

Interesting. So what's the plan if you have no parts? Bit of work involved including harness removals etc, expect to snap at least one panel clip(blue ones), expect some difficulty disconnecting the harness connector from the door lock.

The inner panel has locating pegs that lock in and has to be slid forward to unlatch the plastic fingers that locate into the door lock assembly.

window will have to be lowered so you can access the bolts that clamp it, yeah, I reckon by the time you get it out, you'd had enough. I know I'm getting bored with the process. :head_butt:

Plan?  I was going to pop it open and see how it went :P I found a YouTube clip showing how, and I'm reasonably handy. That said, I do see your point. I was thinking of opening it up to see what was broken before I ordered anything. Would you suggest ordering the clips and some spare panel clips before I take it apart?

Thanks again for the advice :)

Robbo
  • 2011 i30 CRDi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Plan?  I was going to pop it open and see how it went :P I found a YouTube clip showing how, and I'm reasonably handy. That said, I do see your point. I was thinking of opening it up to see what was broken before I ordered anything. Would you suggest ordering the clips and some spare panel clips before I take it apart?

Thanks again for the advice :)

Robbo
Most definitely. Now of course as soon as someone says, mate it's going to be this you'll be the 1% er that has something  different but 99% sure if it simply went bang, rattle rattle AND YOU DID NOT DO THE I THINK IT"S BROKEN BUT I"LL OPERATE IT A FEW MORE TIMES TO BE SURE then you should just need the clip.
Both are the same for that side, left door are handed different to the right so that's the first thing to note.

So far all I have done is the one that is near the lock end and also the side that has the larger portion of glass.

If  the  mechanism was notg operated after failure (not much ) then the cabling should be fine otherwise if it's all bound up that may be stuffed too but hopefully you'll be ok.

Could take weeks to arrive from overseas and easter will be in th emix so that will add a week extra I would expect.

Alternatives.

Order a whole panel which you will need to refurbish with the speaker(rivets) and rubber flaps
Purchase an aftermarket cable and mech assembly which will require drilling out some hefty rivets and bolting in.
Find on gumtree a dirt cheap drivers door with a good mech and strip
Wreckers

If you replace with a used one, you will have no precise time expectancy of life. i.e. it may last a week, month, year or more.

I had some spares and used a secondhand one, lasted 12 months then broke, next time I did the clips as I stocked up with 4 but now only have 1 left. I have 3 of these FDs so I try to be prepared.

Unless you are going in there to also try to secure the window somehow I'd left it until you are with parts ready to go.

The fact you are handy is good, you'll be slightly less frustrated then those that are challenged.

please yourself though. If you break a panel clip not the end of the world it will still fit ok missing 1 but handy if forewarned.  :exclaim:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You are just too bloody helpful Gerard! Between you and Gary I've nearly run out of thank you's!  :crazy1:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
You are just too bloody helpful Gerard! Between you and Gary I've nearly run out of thank you's!  :crazy1:

I like CANDY BARS

ns

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:victory: :happydance:

Offline el robbo

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Most definitely. Now of course as soon as someone says, mate it's going to be this you'll be the 1% er that has something  different but 99% sure if it simply went bang, rattle rattle AND YOU DID NOT DO THE I THINK IT"S BROKEN BUT I"LL OPERATE IT A FEW MORE TIMES TO BE SURE then you should just need the clip.
Both are the same for that side, left door are handed different to the right so that's the first thing to note.

So far all I have done is the one that is near the lock end and also the side that has the larger portion of glass.

If  the  mechanism was notg operated after failure (not much ) then the cabling should be fine otherwise if it's all bound up that may be stuffed too but hopefully you'll be ok.

Could take weeks to arrive from overseas and easter will be in th emix so that will add a week extra I would expect.

Alternatives.

Order a whole panel which you will need to refurbish with the speaker(rivets) and rubber flaps
Purchase an aftermarket cable and mech assembly which will require drilling out some hefty rivets and bolting in.
Find on gumtree a dirt cheap drivers door with a good mech and strip
Wreckers

If you replace with a used one, you will have no precise time expectancy of life. i.e. it may last a week, month, year or more.

I had some spares and used a secondhand one, lasted 12 months then broke, next time I did the clips as I stocked up with 4 but now only have 1 left. I have 3 of these FDs so I try to be prepared.

Unless you are going in there to also try to secure the window somehow I'd left it until you are with parts ready to go.

The fact you are handy is good, you'll be slightly less frustrated then those that are challenged.

please yourself though. If you break a panel clip not the end of the world it will still fit ok missing 1 but handy if forewarned.  :exclaim:

Brilliant! Thanks heaps for the advice mate :D

I'll keep you all updated on how it goes. Now for the long wait for a small part  :whistler:

Robbo
  • 2011 i30 CRDi

Offline el robbo

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Thought I'd ring Hyundai, just on the off-chance they'd be interesting in coming to the party. They want $100 just to look at it. Not terribly impressed.
  • 2011 i30 CRDi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Thought I'd ring Hyundai, just on the off-chance they'd be interesting in coming to the party. They want $100 just to look at it. Not terribly impressed.

Optimist.

Hope you ordered at least 2 clips

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal