i30 Owners Club

Engine Management Light on but car running fine

Offline andre83440

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Oxfordshire
When I bought the car from new there was a faulty emission sensor that meant the EMS warning light was on permanently. This was replaced under warranty and has been fine until this week when "Hello again" and the familiar orange warning light appeared on the dash.  The car is running smooth as anything (especially as it has just had a new warranty gearbox!). Should I rush to the nearest dealership or is this a regular feature of the i30 ?

Is there an easy way to find out WHY this light is on WITHOUT going to a dealership?

Comments appreciated  :D
  • 2015 1.6 CRDi 110 DCT-7 Blue Drive , Diesel, Automatic, Executive

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
You can buy an OBD reader and read out the codes yourself, then google the codes but since the car is still under warranty, you will need to visit the dealer anyway.

Rule of thumb is you can drive the car as long as it feels and sounds normal, but of course the light is on for a reason.

Please tell why you had the DCT box replaced, we haven't heard of issues with those..
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline andre83440

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Oxfordshire
Thanks for that I will get hold of this OBD reader ... I guess there are instructions on connecting it on the internet  :)

Regarding the DCT ... see my posts under "Auto gearbox judder in low gear and not changing down under load" posted in this forum

Cheers

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Thanks for that I will get hold of this OBD reader ... I guess there are instructions on connecting it on the internet  :)

Regarding the DCT ... see my posts under "Auto gearbox judder in low gear and not changing down under load" posted in this forum

Cheers
It would help if you can include a link to post
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 19:39:11 by eye30 »
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Cheers
It would help if you can include a link to post

:link: Auto gearbox judder in low gear and not changing down under load
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Cheers

It plugs into a socket under the dash - drivers side.
You will find that you can read then clear the code ( light goes out). But note the code(s) before you do that. If light goes on again, you have a problem. Go to the dealer.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline andre83440

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Oxfordshire

Offline andre83440

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Oxfordshire
Thanks for the advice ... I will give it a go :)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

Offline andre83440

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Oxfordshire
Well I ended up buying the U480 OBD2 reader and after working out that you have to have the door closed and engine running to overcome errors, I managed to get the error codes that are causing the engine light to be on "P2271 - O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Rich Bank 1 Sensor 2"

Waiting to hear from the dealer whether it's just a faulty sensor again but have been advised that the car is perfectly safe to drive

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I had the same code on our previous Rav4. Took me ages to get the sensor out (it was virtually welded to the engine block).

Once out and replaced, I then got another code referring to sensor 1 :rolleyes:

You may find you're using more fuel than normal.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Not sure of your warranty conditions in England. It should be covered as a mechanical failure.

That O2 sensor is on the exhaust past the catalytic converter. It would be ok for the average handyman to replace. However, check that the lead to it is secure. May have been disturbed when they did the box replacement.

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline andre83440

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Oxfordshire
Thanks for that ... my UK dealer has said it's ok to drive but to get it checked so I am going to get it checked by the local dealer in France   :undecided: if they can be bothered  :cool:

Offline andre83440

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Oxfordshire
 :)  Found new dealer in Puget sur Argens and they confirmed diagnosis and changed the sensor under warranty with no questions. 3rd successful warranty replacement in the 2 year life of the car. It is always a pain when something goes wrong but having had 2 different sensors and a DCT gearbox replaced without hassle I am happy that Hyundai honour their warranty without question. Back to happy motoring again :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:)  Found new dealer in Puget sur Argens and they confirmed diagnosis and changed the sensor under warranty with no questions. 3rd successful warranty replacement in the 2 year life of the car. It is always a pain when something goes wrong but having had 2 different sensors and a DCT gearbox replaced without hassle I am happy that Hyundai honour their warranty without question. Back to happy motoring again :)

Wow! That is a great result. Thanks again for keeping us in the loop.  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal