i30 Owners Club

What to do when air gets into the cooling system?

Offline naser_1998x

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester

• Hyundai i30 2011 CRDi Automatic
Hey guys,
Say you did a complete flush of your cooling system and poured new fluid. But then later you find out that you have air in your system, how would you go on about removing that air? Some people say that there is a place near the thermostat were there is a little screw which you unbolt and fill radiator up to the top, then once coolant starts coming out you start the car up and the air gets removed. But we only have coolant reservoir on the i30 2011 (FD)?

Many thanks!
  • Hyundai i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Run the vehicle from cold with heater on and radiator cap off for a few minutes watching water level, add more fluid if level drops as air is purged, replace cap and check level again after a short drive and engine has cooled.

Offline naser_1998x

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I don't think there's anything more to it. The cooling system is pressurised through the thermostat to prevent boiling, since boiling point rises with rising pressure, and a pure fluid such as water boils sooner - another reason we all use coolant - but steam can still form, which is a gas, so an air pocket is nothing strange and the system is designed to expel it when needed. So just fill up as needed as the coolant circulates as Craig describes.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline naser_1998x

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester

It's just that people on youtube make it sooo complicated  :rofl:  . By the way, craig said that I should replace the cap is that a must?
  • Hyundai i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: naser_1998x
craig said that I should replace the cap is that a must?

If you wish to put it back on, then yes.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline naser_1998x

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester

Wait sorry... why? My cap is clean from inside and out
  • Hyundai i30

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
REPLACE your clean in and out cap where you got it from i.e.   Put it back  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Hey guys,
Say you did a complete flush of your cooling system and poured new fluid. But then later you find out that you have air in your system, how would you go on about removing that air? Some people say that there is a place near the thermostat were there is a little screw which you unbolt and fill radiator up to the top, then once coolant starts coming out you start the car up and the air gets removed. But we only have coolant reservoir on the i30 2011 (FD)?

Many thanks!
Just run the engine and as the temp rises and thermo opens water will circulate into all parts of the system.

Top up to desired level.

Ps
Put heating on as to ensure all is ok.

Ps
Keep warm!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline naser_1998x

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester

Sorry haha :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: that was very stupid of me. By the way have you guys ever used Prestone flush and cleaner? Is it good?
  • Hyundai i30

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hey guys,

Many thanks!
Just run the engine and as the temp rises and thermo opens water will circulate into all parts of the system.

Top up to desired level.

Ps
Put heating on as to ensure all is ok.

Ps
Keep warm!

Keep warm he says, looking at 40c here today   :sweating:  :sweating:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline naser_1998x

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
If I remember correctly, in the service manual they say to heat up the engine three times to operating temp and air should be out. So monitor the coolant level few days after change. I like to press the upper coolant hose from thermostat when thermostart starts opening. It makes the air come out little bit faster. You can feel it in your hands when warm coolant starts to fill the empty hose.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline naser_1998x

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester

Should we be using the green or orange coolant? Sorry I'll be buying a service manual soon
  • Hyundai i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
By the way, craig said that I should replace the cap is that a must?
Yes, especially before driving :eek: unless you'd like your new fluid all over the ground and an empty radiator :faint:

Make sure the overflow has the right amount/level of fluid also.

Offline naser_1998x

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester

:rofl: :rofl: Come on! I interpreted as purchase a new cap, of course you have to put the cap back on 
  • Hyundai i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline naser_1998x

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester

I know this is off topic but I am buying the service manual today. So am I right in thinking that the book will contain belt routings, type of anti-freeze to use and the service schedules?  Or is that shop manual?
  • Hyundai i30

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Relax, even the clever f*****rs get it wrong sometimes  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm pretty sure there is a downloadable workshop manual/owners manual somewhere hereabouts. 

Just make a polite enquiry someone may be able to direct you along the right path.

Good luck  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I know this is off topic but I am buying the service manual today. So am I right in thinking that the book will contain belt routings, type of anti-freeze to use and the service schedules?  Or is that shop manual?
Owners manual will contain fluid and oil specifications, I'd think a workshop manual would explain the belt routing...drawing a simple diagram or photo of your belt before re-placing is recommended.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I don't think there's anything more to it. The cooling system is pressurised through the thermostat to prevent boiling, since boiling point rises with rising pressure, and a pure fluid such as water boils sooner - another reason we all use coolant - but steam can still form, which is a gas, so an air pocket is nothing strange and the system is designed to expel it when needed. So just fill up as needed as the coolant circulates as Craig describes.
   :goodjob2:

Just to add to the above; the coolant will not drain into the engine easily until the engine is warm and the thermostat opens. So filling a cold engine can take a long time.

The "cap" :whistler: provides essential pressure to the system . This raises the boiling point of the coolant. eg a faulty cap = lots of steam.

Sorry to mention the cap  :scared: again  :crazy1:   :head_knock:

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Re cap.

My son had an issue many years ago with his first car.
The temp never got to normal and he would be topping up.

He went to, i think 3 garages and no joy.

By chance he mentioned to me and i went and had a look.
Took it out for a spin to get temp up, opened bonnet, could see cap was faulty as slight hiss from it so called at motor shop on way home.

Bought new  cap and replaced.

Perfect...........
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

When I last looked all workshop manuals only covered the petrol motor not CRDi. You can download a massive file but , with respect, it will be of little value to you at this stage. Fluids and schedules are in your owners handbook or online.
Belt routings are on this site. I recently added a photo for the FD diesel.
Learn to use our search engine and you will find most everything is covered.
As you have discovered , Facebook and many other sites are full of utter cr$p peddled by tosspots who have never even held a spanner. Most of it is from guys who are repeating some drivel that other dicks keep reposting.
We are not immune from vacuous drivel, but we also have a good bunch of practical members who can eventually sort any issue.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
:rofl: :rofl: Come on! I interpreted as purchase a new cap, of course you have to put the cap back on
I was wondering how long it would take to get this clarified, but didn't want to spoil the comedy. :rofl:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
I was wondering how long it would take to get this clarified, but didn't want to spoil the comedy. :rofl:

I must admit I have had a bit of a laugh with all this  ( say's I with cap in hand )   :snigger:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal