i30 Owners Club

Start/stop not working in winter

fra87 · 9 · 5906

Offline fra87

• 1st Gear

• it Italy
Hi all
I noticed a small problem. The ISG system shows me a "wrong conditions" and refuses to shut down the car in winter. It works perfectly in the other seasons.
I don't think the temperature is the real issue, because for one trip this year it worked (there were about 2°C, and the engine temperature the first time it turned off during tha "magic" trip was around 60° since the engine was still warming), while for temperatures above and below during other trips the ISG didn't work.
Do you know what are the conditions to let the car turn down when halting? AFAIK there are
- seat belt on -> checked
- driver and back door closed -> checked
- brake pressed -> checked
- battery charged -> I hope so (no other problems, and moreover being a 1-year car I think the battery is still ok)
- external temperature between -2 and 35°C -> checked (usually the temperature is above 0°C)
- motor temperature not too low -> checked (usually >85°C
  • i30 2016

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi fra87,

We don't even get the function offered on any i30 model in Australia.  You are quite fortunate that yours works at all. The forum is littered with negative feedback from European members, particularly in the UK that want to know why theirs seldom if ever operates. We have come to these three conclusions on here.

(a) There are an awful lot of conditions which can stop the function from operating.
(b) Hyundai are a long way from perfecting their version.
(c) Don't stress as it saves very little if any fuel.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Dave86

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Surrey
First thing i do when i get in mine is turn ISG off. PITA!
  • 2015 I30 Premium

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
:whsaid:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I would be happy indeed if I had this 'feature' in a car and it didn't work...rubbish idea!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'm still a fan of stop start in hybrids where it usually works seamlessly. :cool:

How are you finding it @Shambles in the Ioniq?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Dazzler
I'm still a fan of stop start in hybrids...

It has to work in hybrids as I find the engine mostly already off when I come to a stop (due to the petrol engine having been cut during the regenerative braking period).

I hated it in my GD so I soon got in the habit of switching it off prior to cranking the engine.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
My impression, too, from having driven them in the UK. Hybrids are already stop/start practically by definition, but for a conventional vehicle I think it has more to do with scoring consumption and emission points than looking after the engine in the long term.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I don't have ISG in my old 2008 i30 but a friend of mine have a 2016 Renault Kadjar diesel and boy does that ISG work well.!

Maybe the Renault is just much better to keep the battery in good shape, but that engine shuts down as soon as the engine is near operating temperature. If we have been at a stop for too long the engine just starts again. Here sure is a point where Hyundai needs to improve, compared to all those stories we have heard here about the ISG not working under any circumstances.

The ISG in my wife's i10 almost never works as well...  :undecided:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal