i30 Owners Club

Getting the Hyun-dry

Offline Muzz258

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Timaru
Hi

A quick story about my latest little project.

The kids borrowed the sensible car (Hyundai i30, FD, wagon) for a New Years camping trip.  Among the gear taken was a 20L water container with an external Tap. 

During the pack up to come home, the water container was put on the floor behind the drivers seat.  Unknown to them, the tap had been knocked and was leaking. A While later the driver noticed wet feet and pulled over to investigate.  Tap fixed and water mopped up. All good to go.

Three days later, I got time to check the car over.  Pulled off some door trims and slipped my hand under the carpets.  Puddles of water found.  Oh well, looks like I'm going to learn how to strip the carpet out of the car to dry it out. 

Disconnected the battery and left it over night before proceeding as I was worried about getting the Airbag warning light up after the front seats had been removed.  It took about 4 hours to get the seats, center console and carpets out.  One hour of that was getting the console out.  Ended up on the internet and finally discovered where to take it apart and get the last two screws.

Mopped up another 5 Liters of water from the floor.  Wet paddling on the carpet and saturated foam padding in the car.

The next couple of days were rainy, so we had the carpet in the lounge and a fan heater drying the foam rubber padding on the fire wall.  I really wanted to remove this padding, but that would have required removing the complete dash.  Not a job I wanted to do. A day of heater and a day of dehumidifier and the car was dry.

It took 2 hours to reassemble the car this morning.  Its amazing how much of it just clicks together.  Connected the battery and started the car.  All but one warning light went out, dam and disappointment.  I don't have anything to reset warning lights on the Hyundai.  Car was started and stopped a couple of times but the warning light remained. Looked at the warning light and the brain clicked, it was a traction control light not an airbag light. Maybe it just needs a quick drive for the wheel sensors, computer etc to sort themselves out.  It worked, the light was out within 100 m of the house. Job completed.

Accidents like the split water happen. Its lucky that I like taking cars apart and putting them back together.  Pleased that we didn't have to pay someone to do it.
  • 2015 GD i30 1.6L CRDI Wagon

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi

A quick story about my latest little project.

The kids borrowed the sensible car (Hyundai i30, FD, wagon) for a New Years camping trip.  Among the gear taken was a 20L water container with an external Tap. 

During the pack up to come home, the water container was put on the floor behind the drivers seat.  Unknown to them, the tap had been knocked and was leaking. A While later the driver noticed wet feet and pulled over to investigate.  Tap fixed and water mopped up. All good to go.

Three days later, I got time to check the car over.  Pulled off some door trims and slipped my hand under the carpets.  Puddles of water found.  Oh well, looks like I'm going to learn how to strip the carpet out of the car to dry it out. 

Disconnected the battery and left it over night before proceeding as I was worried about getting the Airbag warning light up after the front seats had been removed.  It took about 4 hours to get the seats, center console and carpets out.  One hour of that was getting the console out.  Ended up on the internet and finally discovered where to take it apart and get the last two screws.

Mopped up another 5 Liters of water from the floor.  Wet paddling on the carpet and saturated foam padding in the car.

The next couple of days were rainy, so we had the carpet in the lounge and a fan heater drying the foam rubber padding on the fire wall.  I really wanted to remove this padding, but that would have required removing the complete dash.  Not a job I wanted to do. A day of heater and a day of dehumidifier and the car was dry.

It took 2 hours to reassemble the car this morning.  Its amazing how much of it just clicks together.  Connected the battery and started the car.  All but one warning light went out, dam and disappointment.  I don't have anything to reset warning lights on the Hyundai.  Car was started and stopped a couple of times but the warning light remained. Looked at the warning light and the brain clicked, it was a traction control light not an airbag light. Maybe it just needs a quick drive for the wheel sensors, computer etc to sort themselves out.  It worked, the light was out within 100 m of the house. Job completed.

Accidents like the split water happen. Its lucky that I like taking cars apart and putting them back together.  Pleased that we didn't have to pay someone to do it.
Well done. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

I've fully stripped out and re-assembled 3 now. probably would have had some answers for you. 2 x wagons 1 x Hatch

Fairly well put together.

And now for something completely different a couple of my favourites

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi Muzz,
Well done on the camping aftermath,  wouldn't have been so bad if not for the rain.
If you'd done it today it would be dry in  10 .  👍
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi muzz interesting story, thanks for sharing.  Do you have these over there. They can be had for about $2 in one of our discount shops. If you can source a couple cheap I would leave a couple in your car to absorb any excess moisture that may still be lurking.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/151-products-ltd-SoSupplies-Dehumidifier/dp/B00AZKNP5C
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Snookes

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Well done Muzz. A great effort and an excellent result.  :happydance:

I hope I never have to undertake anything like that.
  • 2012 i30 GD Elite 5 door hatch petrol 1.8l ltr auto white

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal