i30 Owners Club

Put an amp underneath the passengers seat

Offline jeffers1984

• 2nd Gear

• Sydney
Has anyone tried to successfully put an amp underneath the passangers seat?
Looks like it might be a bit tough with the plastic ducting and plastic ridges there.

Looking at putting a Focal iBUS 2.1 there.

• 2017 i30 SR Premium (Sparkling Metal)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I think the consensus is that it's a bit tight and boot is the better location as per this thread.

:link: Upgrading PD stereo with rear boot subwoofer
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I put a speaker under my sister-in-law's bed .  :evil:

At about midnight she heard the first ghostly moans, then chains rattling and the dead calling her name.  :happydance:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

At about midnight she heard the first ghostly moans, then chains rattling and the dead calling her name.  :happydance:

$hit! That's mean! I'd be spooked for a long time after that!  :sweating:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

$hit! That's mean! I'd be spooked for a long time after that!  :sweating:

So was she... a devout Catholic sinner  :cool:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW

:rofl:  :rofl:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline jeffers1984

• 2nd Gear

• Sydney
OK
So i have upgraded sound in my SR Premium!
Lifestyle Store in parramatta did a great job installing the Focal Ibus 2.1 underneath the passangers seat. Was doable although they had to remove the plastic gromit cable feeder thing to make it happen. Still looks clean underneath.

The Ibus has a 8inch subwoofer as i didn't really want a seperate box.
As the final step in my audio upgrade i got a pair of Focal PS 165FX components installed and hooked up to the Ibus.

Wow these sound fantastic. Great clarity, no doof doof which i didn't want. Just enough oomph to round out the sound.

Very happy.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

OK
Lifestyle Store in parramatta did a great job installing the Focal Ibus 2.1 underneath the passangers seat. Was doable although they had to remove the plastic gromit cable feeder thing to make it happen. Still looks clean underneath.

As the final step in my audio upgrade i got a pair of Focal PS 165FX components installed and hooked up to the Ibus.

Wow these sound fantastic. Great clarity, no doof doof which i didn't want. Just enough oomph to round out the sound.

Very happy.

Good stuff! What sort of $$$ are we talking? If you don't mind me asking.

Offline jeffers1984

• 2nd Gear

• Sydney
Good stuff! What sort of $$$ are we talking? If you don't mind me asking.
Had a budget of $1500. Got it dead on. The Focal stuff is definitely not cheap!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks, I think I'll pass, but others might be tempted.

Offline Brisvegas

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
OK

Very happy.

Well done, that is actually a good price all things considered.
 I did consider under the seat but the cable & duct was too scary. I'm interested to know how / where they fed the music from into amp.
Hi level/ speaker level tapped into front speaker cables into Ibus amp & then front speaker output hooked back to new focal components
Or was there RCA outputs on head unit?

The standard PD SR sound system is so so disappointing for sound quality & bass. My 8" sub amp plus Morel speaker upgrade has improved things significantly.
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline jeffers1984

• 2nd Gear

• Sydney
Well done, that is actually a good price all things considered.
 I did consider under the seat but the cable & duct was too scary. I'm interested to know how / where they fed the music from into amp.
Hi level/ speaker level tapped into front speaker cables into Ibus amp & then front speaker output hooked back to new focal components
Or was there RCA outputs on head unit?

The standard PD SR sound system is so so disappointing for sound quality & bass. My 8" sub amp plus Morel speaker upgrade has improved things significantly.

Thanks yeah all up on the quote was about $1974 according to their RRP but a few discounts on installation costs and some on the product got it down to $1500 exactly.
Don't know too much but they used a line converter in between the head unit and Ibus. Really curious to know how they got into the head unit.
Lastly they needed to fit spacers in to fit the PS165FX into the door and the tweeters still sat in the OEM tweeters spot.

Having a bit more of an inspect, the Ibus fitted snugly under the passengers seat while having to remove the plastic cable feeder thing (see attached)

The Ibus has a little subwoofer level knob which was placed under the steering wheel for easy access to change the sub level.

The Focal PS 165 FX had a crossover fitted underneath the driver seat.

No rattles all clean (as i would expect it to be for a $1500 overall premium!)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 11:19:42 by jeffers1984 »

Offline jeffers1984

• 2nd Gear

• Sydney
Lastly for anyone curious here are photos of the OEM speakers and tweeter

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Sounds like the installation went much better than mine fir Morel 602s at Alberts . As stated before they wired LEft hand door speakers out of phase to right had side speakers. Anyway all fixed now.
I'm curious to know which speaker wires they used for line out converter LOC Depending upon LOC unit & controls but it simply converts speaker level/ high level to RCA low level which is much more. Controllable especially with amplification. The sub level volume control under dash will be a useful tool to reduce hoon bass cowboy when pulling up at the local library or church  :whistler:

The standard speakers are so cheap & nasty and no different to my previous Veloster. Gave up on number of replacements that had fitted under warranty. What was good was the rear sub in the Veloster similar to US Elantra GT.

Anyway really pleased you have discovered a way of installing underseat sub amplifiers for other PD owners. Remove that bloody duct  :victory:
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Having a bit more of an inspect, the Ibus fitted snugly under the passengers seat while having to remove the plastic cable feeder thing (see attached)

I believe the plastic cable feeder thing is the return air duct for the aircon.

I don't think I really need it though if I decide to ever do a sub install I'd probably go with one of the spare tyre jobbies :link: Pioneer TS-WX610A Aktiver Subwoofer Fernbedienung Ersatzrad-Mulde Ersatzreifen | eBay

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal